En Route 04/22/22 En Route Basics

SkyPapi

Trusted Contributor
FAA
Facility
ZLA Los Angeles Center
Starting a thread for those of us slated for 4/22 basics and a projected in-person report date of 5/26.

Let's chat. :D

Hi Alex. Looking forward to meeting you. I'll be driving from Oakland, CA. Where are you coming from? Also, did you have a place in mind for housing? I was thinking Anatole through A&T since I'll be bringing my cats.

Hi Alex. Looking forward to meeting you. I'll be driving from Oakland, CA. Where are you coming from? Also, did you have a place in mind for housing? I was thinking Anatole through A&T since I'll be bringing my cats.
I’ll be coming from Washington DC. I’m already a fed, so I’m a transfer. I was actually thinking about the Residence Inn Oklahoma City Airport. A friend of mine attended the Academy, and so did his brother, and stayed there. They both loved it. It’s also only 3 or 4 years old. One, it would be nice to have my own room. Two, you get free breakfast every morning. Three, you get a full kitchen. Four, they do have coin operated laundry right in the hotel. And five, you can actually have cats there if you wanted to.

Although, Kim’s Place is also a consideration. It would be really nice to have a garage for my car.

At any of the options though, there would be other Academy new hires.

I’ll be coming from Washington DC. I’m already a fed, so I’m a transfer. I was actually thinking about the Residence Inn Oklahoma City Airport. A friend of mine attended the Academy, and so did his brother, and stayed there. They both loved it. It’s also only 3 or 4 years old. One, it would be nice to have my own room. Two, you get free breakfast every morning. Three, you get a full kitchen. Four, they do have coin operated laundry right in the hotel. And five, you can actually have cats there if you wanted to.

Although, Kim’s Place is also a consideration. It would be really nice to have a garage for my car.

At any of the options though, there would be other Academy new hires.
Seems intriguing. I checked their website and perhaps I'm a bit of a luddite, but I don't see FAA rates. Do you know if the per diem covers a 1 bedroom suite or just a studio? Anatole is still quite appealing as I am pretty each unit has its own washer and dryer but breakfast and the 0 minute commute sounds pretty great as well. I'll give it a look.

Agree with you on the garage. I am hoping Anatole will have a covered space at least as I hear OKC weather can get pretty dicey. Still, the most appealing thing about Kim's to me is being around other students. Sounds like we won't be too far from one another however the chips may fall.

Seems intriguing. I checked their website and perhaps I'm a bit of a luddite, but I don't see FAA rates. Do you know if the per diem covers a 1 bedroom suite or just a studio? Anatole is still quite appealing as I am pretty each unit has its own washer and dryer but breakfast and the 0 minute commute sounds pretty great as well. I'll give it a look.

Agree with you on the garage. I am hoping Anatole will have a covered space at least as I hear OKC weather can get pretty dicey. Still, the most appealing thing about Kim's to me is being around other students. Sounds like we won't be too far from one another however the chips may fall.
So, the residence Inn website doesn’t show the FAA rate, but there is a point of contact that works specifically with FEA new hire students. They do allow FAA new hire students to pay using the FAA per diem rate. And the FAA Academy still pays them directly. I am sort of leaning towards Kim’s place at this point, mostly for the garage and free washer/dryer, but also because there will be other students in the community for studying and what not.

I am also slated for this class, I'll be driving in from the Philadelphia area, I was also looking at Anatole, but this Residence inn does seem pretty nice and I do like the idea of a free breakfast every morning.

I am also slated for this class, I'll be driving in from the Philadelphia area, I was also looking at Anatole, but this Residence inn does seem pretty nice and I do like the idea of a free breakfast every morning.
Philly? I lived there for 8 years. Fun City.

I’m kind of stuck between the 3 right now. I’m waiting to hear what other people say before I pack. Would be nice to be around other people from class.

FWIW, I'll be at Anatole through Zoe. Sounds like we'll all have wheels so meeting up shouldn't be too much of a pain.

Hey everyone, my basic projected start is 4/17, so I assume basically the same class lol. Personally from Michigan! Haven't looked a whole ton into housing quite yet just because I've been busy. Sounds like there's already some recommendations going around. Unfortunately, I won't be taking my car as it's just too much of a drive it feels like, so I'm trying to find the closest option to campus. Will most likely be renting a car on weekends and such though so I can get around freely.

Hey everyone, my basic projected start is 4/17, so I assume basically the same class lol. Personally from Michigan! Haven't looked a whole ton into housing quite yet just because I've been busy. Sounds like there's already some recommendations going around. Unfortunately, I won't be taking my car as it's just too much of a drive it feels like, so I'm trying to find the closest option to campus. Will most likely be renting a car on weekends and such though so I can get around freely.
That's weird. Maybe it's a typo, cause there doesn't appear to be a basics class for either track starting on the date (here are links to the scheduled class dates for terminal and en route). Did they provide a projected in-person in your email? Either way, congrats and looking forward to meeting you.

From what I understand, there are a number of hotels and apartment options that have shuttle service that takes you to the training center. Kim’s place is one of those locations.

That's weird. Maybe it's a typo, cause there doesn't appear to be a basics class for either track starting on the date (here are links to the scheduled class dates for terminal and en route). Did they provide a projected in-person in your email? Either way, congrats and looking forward to meeting you.
Looking back on my emails to make sure, my FOLs effective date says 4/14... a separate email titled" FAA Employment Start Date" says 4/14 start date.... now I'm worried, should I be contacting my assigned HR preson? I miss-typed 4/17. Projected in person is 5/18-8/11.

Looking back on my emails to make sure, my FOLs effective date says 4/14... a separate email titled" FAA Employment Start Date" says 4/14 start date.... now I'm worried, should I be contacting my assigned HR preson? I miss-typed 4/17. Projected in person is 5/18-8/11.
Don't be worried. I am not sure what happened to the links I sent. There is an En Route basics class with those dates and an initial training class (in-person) that starts on 5/18. It looks like you might me the first person on pointsixtyfive to report that class date. Go ahead a start a thread for your class and we'll see you there.

en route classes.jpg

So where did everyone find housing? Would be nice to get a list started, so we can think through some meeting points for studying.

I’m at the Residence Inn OKC Airport.

I’ll have my car with me, so any meeting point would work for me.

Yep. Can't wait to install Angry Birds 2 on it.

Also, from the looks of it, we have a class of 12.

Back
Top Bottom