RTF 08/08/2023 RTF Class

Not in the class, but came here to share some thoughts on RTF. Hang out a bit on the weekends, have a few drinks if you like, but definitely put in the time to study. Yes RTF is pass/pass but if you study and get the airspace/procedures down, you’ll find that RTF is a great course and it will set you up to be a great radar controller when you get back to your facility! I never had anything like this in the military and after I went to RTF I used 52% of my training hours. All in all you’ll get out of it what you put in. Have fun guys!

Last edited:
Not in the class, but came here to share some thoughts on RTF. Hang out a bit on the weekends, have a few drinks if you like, but definitely put in the time to study. Yes RTF is pass/pass but if you study and get the airspace/procedures down, you’ll find that RTF is a great course and it will set you up to be a great radar controller when you get back to your facility! I never had anything like this in the military and after I went to RTF I used 52% of my training hours. Have fun guys!
Never been to RTF. But I did en route and tower class each pass fail back before completing en route made tower class pass pass. Even though I was pass/fail each time it didn't stop me from getting blacked out drunk chasing women all over Bricktown 4-6 days a week lol SMDH. In retrospect I should of had your thought process. Got hired at 24 years old though and was extremely wild back then. But even my trainers and the older guys were big drinkers at my 1st facility..I feel lucky I never lost my career back then honestly. It's nice to see this younger generation is responsible and isn't a bunch of drunks like ATC was back in the day. All these new kids should take your post wholeheartedly!!!

Not in the class, but came here to share some thoughts on RTF. Hang out a bit on the weekends, have a few drinks if you like, but definitely put in the time to study. Yes RTF is pass/pass but if you study and get the airspace/procedures down, you’ll find that RTF is a great course and it will set you up to be a great radar controller when you get back to your facility! I never had anything like this in the military and after I went to RTF I used 52% of my training hours. Have fun guys!
Absolutely do not do this. RTF is a joke. Enjoy the free vacation .

Not in the class, but came here to share some thoughts on RTF. Hang out a bit on the weekends, have a few drinks if you like, but definitely put in the time to study. Yes RTF is pass/pass but if you study and get the airspace/procedures down, you’ll find that RTF is a great course and it will set you up to be a great radar controller when you get back to your facility! I never had anything like this in the military and after I went to RTF I used 52% of my training hours. All in all you’ll get out of it what you put in. Have fun guys!
Except for the main objective of that class is to teach the pointless airspace procedures for a made up airspace that no one will ever use again. Didn’t go over one emergency, icing situation, SVFR, pop up IFR, holding, etc but they made damn sure you called Jeske tower about an inbound!

Except for the main objective of that class is to teach the pointless airspace procedures for a made up airspace that no one will ever use again. Didn’t go over one emergency, icing situation, SVFR, pop up IFR, holding, etc but they made damn sure you called Jeske tower about an inbound!
They leave that for OJTIs at facilities because they have must know checklists. Plus, people don’t wash out over icing, emergencies etc. they wash over sequencing and separation. That’s why RTF and TSEW focus on basic terminal radar principles and then the labs help you build knowledge on application. When I was doing this in the military, for example, nobody had any idea how to properly apply passing or diverging which is a wonderful tool in terminal radar. I’m just saying, everyone’s different, but there’s no way I would’ve gotten certified as fast as I did if I didn’t choose to go.

Back
Top Bottom