2 job offers - need advice

For example, if you would happen to work at strictly a general aviation facility (think PDK/VNY/PRC/etc.), outside air carrier employment *may* be permitted. I do not know if new hires assigned to the academy fall under this veil or not.

This is the form you have to sign during pre-employment. (link)

Having flight benefits is not necessarily prohibited with certain conditions. Outside airline employment is allowed if that employer is subject to official contact by your facility. You would need additional clarification from OGE and/or a DEO on whether or not your situation would be a conflict.

No one on here will be able to give you the exact answer you are looking for, sadly.
should I just ask my HR rep directly what her thoughts are on me hypothetically being a FA probationary employee while at the Academy? I would have no idea how to contact OGE or DEO.

For example, if you would happen to work at strictly a general aviation facility (think PDK/VNY/PRC/etc.), outside air carrier employment *may* be permitted. I do not know if new hires assigned to the academy fall under this veil or not.
That's what I'm trying to discern since Academy hires are not presently assigned an aviation facility

I wouldn’t trust an HR rep with that question. Personally I would just do what you’re going to do and address the FAA issue only when needed. When you get an FOL and have to decide, ask to speak with a supervisor and they can help get the answer.

The info above is good but its really dealing with dual employment. Being on a leave of absence with the understanding that you will leave the other job after mmac isn’t unreasonable. It might not matter in the end but I’m not sure it’s totally black and white.

I wouldn’t worry about it till your actually hired. I also don’t think delta or whoever you’re going to be an FA for is just going to auto approve you for LWOP
I just want to find the answer sooner rather than later.

yeah that's something I thought about too - I was going to ask the airline to delay my training date to AFTER I finish the Academy, but 1) I wouldn't know how far of a delay to ask for because I'm still waiting for a FOL, and 2) it would negatively affect my seniority

yeah that's something I thought about too - I was going to ask the airline to delay my training date to AFTER I finish the Academy, but 1) I wouldn't know how far of a delay to ask for because I'm still waiting for a FOL, and 2) it would negatively affect my seniority
Airlines are looking to staff up for next spring/summer. Not just have people go on huge LWOPs. You’re really risking both jobs doing it this way. Versus just waiting for a future hiring event to become a flight attendant

I'm gonna guess if you ask for a leave of absence after a few months of working so you can pursue outside employment they are gonna tell you to kick rocks.

Sounds like you just need to kind of pick one and go for it.

I'm gonna guess if you ask for a leave of absence after a few months of working so you can pursue outside employment they are gonna tell you to kick rocks.

Sounds like you just need to kind of pick one and go for it.
And don’t apply the fact that a bunch of people
Got LWOP daily during Covid. Those days are over

wish I had just taken the ATSA last year in 2020, ha. did not expect airlines to rebound so quickly and start hiring so soon after all those early retirement offers & furloughs.
Just be an air traffic controller lol you can always become a flight attendant the old fashioned way if atc doesn’t work out

Hi everyone, I think I have decided to decline the FA offer....
I asked them for a delayed training date and they said if I cannot make the date I already have (without documentation), then I am "eligible to re-apply again in 6 months".

I will for sure only have a once-in-a-lifetime shot to get to the Academy. The airline will be hiring more FAs throughout 2022. Hopefully I get re-hired then if I end up failing the Academy.

Taking the FA job now and hoping to get approved for leave (to attend the Academy) AND having the FAA be okay with it sounds like a ton of moving parts and they all have to fit perfectly. The airline will probably not approve my request for leave which means that I would have to quit entirely.

I don't agree that it would be a conflict of interest to be on airline leave while at the Academy, but what I think doesn't matter. I just don't want to risk getting terminated from the FAA and/or the airline. I checked the Personal Leave policies and the airline explicitly states that you cannot pursue outside employment with a government entity while on personal leave.

And I'm not into lying, especially not to the FAA. There were a lot of things I had to be honest about and disclose on the SF-86 that I thought were deal-breakers, lol. Point is, I don't want to start my career hiding a lie or looking over my shoulder.

And I don't want to leave on poor terms and become in-eligible for re-hire with the airline since it is my #1 choice in terms of the big 3 airlines.

I hold the belief that if you have to force something to work/happen, then it isn't the right time. There are just far too many moving parts here. Things that are meant to be will just fall in place naturally.

Trying to look at the positive side, I'll be able to save up more money and get more of my life in order before my Academy date.

Or maybe I'll change my mind again, ha.

Back
Top Bottom