2 job offers - need advice

Don't want to be identified on here -- using a throwaway.

Hi everyone,

I'm so conflicted and really don't know what to do.

I am pending an Academy class date, I am from the Jan 2020 bid.

I also just got hired to be a flight attendant with a major/legacy airline.

I never thought I would get both of these opportunities in just a few short months.

Both roles are so different and I'm not sure what would make me happier.

any thoughts?
Flight attendant jobs will always be there... ATC jobs are a once in a lifetime opportunity for most. Take a chance at the academy and if it doesn't work out/you don't like it, there will be flight attendant jobs available.

I know of several others that asked for a June-July star because of their kid being in school and there was zero proof required
Wow, didn't realize people did that...

I am most likely going to training with the airline next month, graduating, going on the line, and I will wait to see what date the FAA offers me. I will try to push off the Academy date long enough for me to complete 6-months probation.

Last edited:
I haven't lied to anyone. thanks for the sarcasm though.
This site, while often a good source of info, is filled with "atc" internet trolls with nothing better to do. Don't take it personal. They're probably disgruntled low level or not even hired.

how would the FAA find out about the leave? another FA on here said he/she took leave to go to the academy
It's still technically against the rules but I was just saying it has been done. It's one of those things that you have to figure out if it's worth the hassle of doing. As we say in ATC do what your career can candle.

Why can’t you work for an airline. You just can’t work for an airline in your area of juridiction.

Also I doubt any airline will be allowing LWOP next spring. They are hiring now for a reason

Why can’t you work for an airline. You just can’t work for an airline in your area of juridiction.
Yeah but at the Academy any airline could be potentially in your area of jurisdiction. I worked for an airline when I was hired and I was told I had to separate employment and divest all my stock or I couldn't start. It's just their rules

you had to separate employment to even attend the Academy?
... yes. That's what I'm telling you. It's not allowed. When you onboard day 1, you're starting your employment. By that time you have to have read all of their ethics documents, including those explaining how working for an airline, having flight benefits, and owning stock are all considered conflicts of interest.

... yes. That's what I'm telling you. It's not allowed. When you sign your FOL, you're accepting employment and by that time you have to have read all of their ethics documents, including those explaining how working for an airline is a conflict of interest.
ok, that former DAL FA had some balls going to the Academy on leave then. I'd be too anxious looking over my shoulder my whole time there, even if I graduated

... yes. That's what I'm telling you. It's not allowed. When you onboard day 1, you're starting your employment. By that time you have to have read all of their ethics documents, including those explaining how working for an airline, having flight benefits, and owning stock are all considered conflicts of interest.
I can say that from personal experience from working with an FAA Ethics Official that this is not 100% accurate.

Idk I had a dispatcher in my class that was on LWOP. He even used his flight benefits during the academy. No airlines are in your area of jurisdiction at the academy. Also I would just believe a random HR person.

Idk I had a dispatcher in my class that was on LWOP. He even used his flight benefits during the academy. No airlines are in your area of jurisdiction at the academy. Also I would just believe a random HR person.
you would or you would not believe a random HR person? this dispatcher worked for an airline while at the Academy?

can you elaborate
This is the form you have to sign during pre-employment. (link)

Having flight benefits is not necessarily prohibited with certain conditions. Outside airline employment is allowed if that employer is subject to official contact by your facility. You would need additional clarification from OGE and/or a DEO on whether or not your situation would be a conflict.

No one on here will be able to give you the exact answer you are looking for, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom