A80/LAX special panel

Then why select: RSW, ABE, DLH, LIT, LIT, MOB, CMH, and CMH and not use those spots for my previously mentioned persons?!? We didn't have a problem taking multiple ZHUs, CMHs, and LITs. I'd rather wait on: five 9s, two 12s, and one 11 over bringing in the above eight. Wasted spaces when we had more qualified candidates who are statistically more likely to certify here.
Solid point. I'd hope your ATM and FacRep ranked the list together. There has to be something more to it. Poor recommendations, close to retirement, etc.

Per NATCA...

After some additional deliberation between the NCEPT, one employee was removed from the selection list. A breakdown of the selection numbers is listed below.

In addition to the selections made for A80 and LAX, there are two addendums to the September NCEPT: (Name Omitted) was selected from ZAU to ZTL, taking the total NCEPT selections for the September NCEPT to 204. There was a mutual reassignment (swap) approved as well within the ESA. That was F11 to/from PBI.
Requests:
Total ERR Requests for A80/LAX NCEPT: 130 (87 A80 - 43 LAX)
Selections:
29 selections
A80 – 22
LAX – 7

So heres the problem with judging the people at lower facilities based on them being at lower facilities. First- Like someone already said, we didn't have a choice in facility. We were forced in to a level 4-7. Second- with the new ERR system, and how the FAA is hiring, the only way we can move is to a high level facility. The FAA is force feeding the mid-level facilities with the previous experience hires, and they send new hires from the academy to the low levels. There is literally no option except to try and transfer to the high level facilities(or bid a sup job). I would love to go to C90, but they will only take form level 8 and above. While don't get me wrong, this makes some sense, I am unable to get to a mid-level, so C90 at this point will never happen. I have to take my chance at applying for other high level facilities. I won't move to A80(due to family), but if I was single, I would have applied. Mind you I'm at a level 5. We do have 1 that applied for A80, and he would probably make it. The facilities he really wants to go to are level 9's, but again, he won't be able to get there because they are force fed previous experience people.

what a joke
Per NATCA...

After some additional deliberation between the NCEPT, one employee was removed from the selection list. A breakdown of the selection numbers is listed below.

In addition to the selections made for A80 and LAX, there are two addendums to the September NCEPT: (Name Omitted) was selected from ZAU to ZTL, taking the total NCEPT selections for the September NCEPT to 204. There was a mutual reassignment (swap) approved as well within the ESA. That was F11 to/from PBI.
Requests:
Total ERR Requests for A80/LAX NCEPT: 130 (87 A80 - 43 LAX)
Selections:
29 selections
A80 – 22
LAX – 7
What happened to the 17 that LAX needed

I personally believe everyone should start from the bottom. No prior experience new hire should go to any mid level facility with someone on their ERR list. Send them to the top of the ERR lists facility to backfill and move people up. While you guys at level 5, 6, and 7s are complaining about the mid levels, I’m over here watching all the 5, 6, and 7s taking the higher up Tower jobs. I think I even saw a level 5 go to CLT. Getting blocked from bidding a few level 12 tracons and the world explodes lol. You guys have the luck of most new hires coming your way, allowing more releases. I started at a low facility, then moved to a mid level facility. It took me a few years to get there. And it took me a few years to get selected at a high level facility.

A lot of good opinions on this subject, but I don’t blame them at all for limiting selection on people who statistically will make it. They need to staff the place. Not be a revolving door of washouts. Even NCT is having issues getting low levels through, and their biggest airport is only a 10.

Just looking at it from the facility level is really stupid too. If it were me I'd keep track of success rates from individual facilities. If facility x has sent A80 7 controllers over the last 5 years and they all certified, I'll take all I can get from there. I don't care if they're a level 5 or a level 12. If a level 10 center has had 18/20 wash, guess what? Don't give me anyone from that center ever again.

I wish people would get rid of this idea that facility level is the end-all and be-all of what determines difficulty and therefore ability.
They used to do that everywhere. Atlanta loved Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham, Cincinnati, and Orlando controllers. Those were all higher level facilities who worked a similar operation. We keep track of every single person who comes here.

I personally believe everyone should start from the bottom. No prior experience new hire should go to any mid level facility with someone on their ERR list. Send them to the top of the ERR lists facility to backfill and move people up. While you guys at level 5, 6, and 7s are complaining about the mid levels, I’m over here watching all the 5, 6, and 7s taking the higher up Tower jobs. I think I even saw a level 5 go to CLT. Getting blocked from bidding a few level 12 tracons and the world explodes lol. You guys have the luck of most new hires coming your way, allowing more releases. I started at a low facility, then moved to a mid level facility. It took me a few years to get there. And it took me a few years to get selected at a high level facility.

A lot of good opinions on this subject, but I don’t blame them at all for limiting selection on people who statistically will make it. They need to staff the place. Not be a revolving door of washouts. Even NCT is having issues getting low levels through, and their biggest airport is only a 10.
That’s great. We haven’t received a new hire in well over a year.

As a previous experience hire, I still agree with this. I thought this was going to be the case and planned to work my way up. As luck would have it I got picked up at a center but I think your rationale is good. What I like about the high level jump to a center is that they are designed to train people with little to no specified experience in that aspect of ATC. Don’t think these large towers and tracons have time to baby people along. I would have been confident heading to a larger tower but the big tracons are another animal. I thought about A80 after my supervisor said I should put in for it and she knows people there but gave up on it fairly quickly when my sense kicked in. Some people are very gifted and can do it but I don’t think that is the majority

Side note, not that you are insinuating this, but not all prior experience go to mid level. I worked 6 years military and got a level 5 which was nice to get in and secure my job without the risk of being fired looming over my head. Plus the FAA and military do things differently so there was a learning curve there as well before adjusting to the faa

Last edited:
That’s great. We haven’t received a new hire in well over a year.

We were in the same boat. Just bleeding off controllers without replacements until we were below a Cat 2. Until they amended the staffing to do 9 and below to 100%, now we have a steady flow coming in. Is your facilities problem that there are only 9 controllers? I can see this making it difficult when losing one person drops you two categories potentially.
Nothing about this job or our facilities is a one size fits all for any of these situations.

Under the A80/LAX MOU, Section 2, it says, “Release dates shall be within three months of selection.” Under the most recent selections, does this mean they have to give me a date within 3 months of October 3rd? Since the selection date is listed right on the KSN selection list. I for some reason originally thought it was going to be based off the date they call my facility or something (which could be mid October).

But feasibly I could have January 7th as my release date (since that’s the start of a pay period)? Or could I even push it so far as to say I want 12/24/17 as my release (since 1/7 is outside of 3 months and 12/24 is the pay period before that)?

My manager told be it would be as early as January 18, and no later than October 18, 2018. ( maybe TOLs come out the 17/18 of this month) I'm not counting on anything though

Under the A80/LAX MOU, Section 2, it says, “Release dates shall be within three months of selection.” Under the most recent selections, does this mean they have to give me a date within 3 months of October 3rd? Since the selection date is listed right on the KSN selection list. I for some reason originally thought it was going to be based off the date they call my facility or something (which could be mid October).

But feasibly I could have January 7th as my release date (since that’s the start of a pay period)? Or could I even push it so far as to say I want 12/24/17 as my release (since 1/7 is outside of 3 months and 12/24 is the pay period before that)?
They are fairly liberal with their definition of 3 months (end of pay period + 3 months + additional days to start on a new pay period, and everything in between). With that being said, the longest they can hold you is 3 months, if both managers agree, you could start 12/24, 12/10, 11/26, 11/12, etc.

Experience can be measured. Ability can't. It's that simple. They will always choose the person who has proven they have the ability over the person who might have it.

But again, there's no way to measure experience if we aren't given the chance to show ability at a higher level facility.

My manager told be it would be as early as January 18, and no later than October 18, 2018. ( maybe TOLs come out the 17/18 of this month) I'm not counting on anything though

How can he “force” January 18th as the earliest when the MOU straight up says “within 3 months of selection” and the list specifically says that the newest selection dates are October 3? I’m just generally curious. I’m sure there are people who will want out as soon as possible and I don’t see how managers can be liberal with the 3 month thing.

Back
Top Bottom