Abolish NCEPT

Good. I'm happy to hear about controllers putting their foot down.
It's good and bad at the same time. I guess it's good people get to where they want to be off the bat. But they have been screwing over current FAA controllers (this past NCEPT for example) while giving into folks that aren't in the agency yet.

How many prior experience controllers are applying and not getting hired? I thought the prior experience bid was basically a lock if you qualified. At least in en route prior experience doesn’t mean much by the end of a training class
Hire prior experience before ots as far as I’m concerned and fill in the gaps where current faa controllers are leaving.

But it sounds like they are hiring all the private experience controllers that apply. There just aren’t that many
It seems like there are two prior experience bids per year and one off the street.... so I'd agree that they're already hiring as many prior experience controllers as they can.

Wether there is 1 or 2 doesn’t matter. The question is are prior experience people applying and not getting hired?

They should probably just leave prior experience open constantly to applications but I don’t think there’s anyway they should reduce OTS hiring
Go look on KSN for the numbers, they were posting them once upon a time, 15/16/17/18/19/20/21 if I recall. It should tell you what year, how many applied, how many were selected, and how many reported to facilities.

Some prior experience people come in and are absolutely wonderful to work with and are great controllers... but then some come in and I have to wonder if they have even been to an airport before. It's actually laughable how bad some have been, supposedly checked out at different bases and contract towers, but complete garbage coworkers and controllers. One we had failed FD/CD ...at a vfr tower... "prior experience"... I still think that he might have made up his credentials or taken someone's identity or something. Then we get someone that comes in, admits they only worked Helicopters and never really controlled much but studied well and learned fast, fantastic controller. All that to say, I can see why the FAA should send prior experience controllers to the Academy and then also to lower levels to start. Are there some who could go right to a lvl 12 tommorow and be fine, yep... but there's no real good way of weeding them out other than academy and sending them i
This is a multifaceted response:

-The workforce has a chip on its shoulder that only views FAA experience as legitimate.

-People who have prior experience without an FAA certification have wildly different backgrounds. Some are shit hot while some are shit heads.

-Prior experience hires should only first staff 4 through 7s, just like how a retired military controller or off the street hire should. CPC reinstatements are their own beast but it should be prior facility or fall back to the bottom.

-Progressing to a higher tier facility should be career progression. Lateral moves in similar level group should be career enhancement.

-I’ve written about this before but in my opinion the level system is starting to not work well for staffing and pay purposes. It needs a revision or further declination between specialties (tower only/TRACON only/up and down/ center) or even a grouping method with current level structure.
I disagree that all priors should be limited to lvl 4-7’s and here’s why: Speaking for the Air Force as an example, we had to go through both tower and radar fundies/labs that was all pass/fail to make it to a first base. Academy for OTS is only tower and then people who pass and wind up at up/downs will go to RTF which (as we all know) is an optional pass/pass course. The other facet to my point is that yes, not all priors should get busy airports right off the bat like what is happening, but that’s not the priors’ faults. The FAA’s placement subject matter experts have access to DoD facility traffic numbers and are supposed to verify experience & offer accordingly. In the end my point stands, some priors should be offered higher levels. Provided the FAA screens priors better and also needs to afford the more experienced priors the same opportunities as OTS academy grads getting dream facilities or lvl 12’s when all they’ve done is pass fundamentals and a tower sim…

Last edited:
counter point: they're still trash controllers with shitty attitudes
Some of them are, absolutely. Partly due to their attitude and more due to the slow facility they may have been at with lackadaisical training environments that don’t fix those things early on in their career. But also counterpoint: some academy grads are just as trash as some priors out there AND they’re guaranteed to have this ?? Much radar experience.

counter point: they're still trash controllers with shitty attitude
'

When you have done this job for 20 years and have such an "extensive" list of facilities XD
I was in the Air Force so I may be biased but you can be equally as good or trash from any walk of life. Serving in the armed forces, working at subway before hand or going through cti school makes no difference in the end. Only 13 years in though so maybe that opinion will change down the line.

I was in the Air Force so I may be biased but you can be equally as good or trash from any walk of life. Serving in the armed forces, working at subway before hand or going through cti school makes no difference in the end. Only 13 years in though so maybe that opinion will change down the line.​
It isn't so much that individuals assume that we consider prior experience military hires to be "trash," but it is when they think they know everything/ use to doing things only a certain way and when queried "this how we have always done it," or they use a line like a brand new 2LT who says "in my experience" that annoys us. You can do this job for 20+ years at one or two facilities and never fully grasp it, you can read the book and play hypothetical all day like they do at level 4/5/6's but until you have worked the volume of traffic military or contract (with the exception of IWA and very few others) it is hard to take them seriously when you try to tell them they are wrong.

Everyone is an expert in their own opinion and everyone has an asshole, at the end of the day if you make dumb fucking mistakes like telling a Mooney to cross a runway, after I told you to hold short and in front of an E145 almost a quarter of the way down the runway, I cannot help you. I can go on and on why my opinion of prior military is low and yes you are correct not all are equal, but when you shut your mind to learning how to do things different it really kills my desire to train you. I'll take the kid from academy willing to learn and be a sponge over someone who feels entitled to this job because they served.​

Last edited:
I disagree that all priors should be limited to lvl 4-7’s and here’s why: Speaking for the Air Force as an example, we had to go through both tower and radar fundies/labs that was all pass/fail to make it to a first base. Academy for OTS is only tower and then people who pass and wind up at up/downs will go to RTF which (as we all know) is an optional pass/pass course. The other facet to my point is that yes, not all priors should get busy airports right off the bat like what is happening, but that’s not the priors’ faults. The FAA’s placement subject matter experts have access to DoD facility traffic numbers and are supposed to verify experience & offer accordingly. In the end my point stands, some priors should be offered higher levels. Provided the FAA screens priors better and also needs to afford the more experienced priors the same opportunities as OTS academy grads getting dream facilities or lvl 12’s when all they’ve done is pass fundamentals and a tower sim…
The academy is not limited to beginning in the tower only. The pay system is main issue between the levels and drives movement. It’s horse shit that some of us prior experience get assigned to a lower level and can’t get out while others are assigned to the higher levels from the get go, but only due to the fact of pay. Also, the Air Force isn’t a unicorn and a similar evaluation process happened during my enlistment in the Corps. It still doesn’t mean that you deserve to go to an 8+. The NCEPT program has made a career profession platform out of a career enhancement process. It’s backwards and needs to be removed.

The academy is not limited to beginning in the tower only. The pay system is main issue between the levels and drives movement. It’s horse shit that some of us prior experience get assigned to a lower level and can’t get out while others are assigned to the higher levels from the get go, but only due to the fact of pay. Also, the Air Force isn’t a unicorn and a similar evaluation process happened during my enlistment in the Corps. It still doesn’t mean that you deserve to go to an 8+. The NCEPT program has made a career profession platform out of a career enhancement process. It’s backwards and needs to be removed.
I didn’t say the tech school alone makes priors deserve level 8+ facilities so maybe I misspoke there. I do however think that the Air Force had a higher attrition rate for the fact of comparison between it and the FAA Academy for OTS. Where I think priors deserve those facilities is exactly where you stand on the matter. Some academy grad off the street with a fundies class and a pass/fail tower sim shouldn’t be getting better facilities out the gate than someone who has tower and radar labs for a better foundation and has experience/certification separating real aircraft. And the only reason I say tower only on the FAA side is because everyone I’ve ever talked to that was OTS through the academy said they did tower only and then returned for RTF when it was time.

I didn’t say the tech school alone makes priors deserve level 8+ facilities so maybe I misspoke there. I do however think that the Air Force had a higher attrition rate for the fact of comparison between it and the FAA Academy for OTS. Where I think priors deserve those facilities is exactly where you stand on the matter. Some academy grad off the street with a fundies class and a pass/fail tower sim shouldn’t be getting better facilities out the gate than someone who has tower and radar labs for a better foundation and has experience/certification separating real aircraft. And the only reason I say tower only on the FAA side is because everyone I’ve ever talked to that was OTS through the academy said they did tower only and then returned for RTF when it was time.
You guys always seem to gloss over the fact that like 2/3 of the OTS trainees are for enroute

What are these supposed better facilities that ots get that prior exp hires aren’t getting? You should be more upset at the fact washouts with only d sides or no positions at all are getting these better facilities.

What are these supposed better facilities that ots get that prior exp hires aren’t getting? You should be more upset at the fact washouts with only d sides or no positions at all are getting these better facilities.
Don't forget the OTS N90 guys who was and get offered RSW because "they passed TETRA" and that's what the nest guidance says. Or better yet, the guy back in the day who failed TETRA and was rewarded by going to PBI. I wonder how they turned out.

Don't forget the OTS N90 guys who was and get offered RSW because "they passed TETRA" and that's what the nest guidance says. Or better yet, the guy back in the day who failed TETRA and was rewarded by going to PBI. I wonder how they turned out.
The guy that went to PBI, if memory serves, was in one of the first TETRA classes. At some point through the N90 process you have to pass career jeopardy. If you pass basics/tower/ and come back for RTF/TSEW or TETRA as any other hire and “fail” at the MMAC your job is not in jeopardy. Objectively we cannot expect someone to not pass a portion of the N90 process after RTF and be fired when others are not. Yes it absolutely sucks for the rest of those looking for country club facilities or highly desired locations but we have standards to ensure a “fair” process, even if it isn’t liked.

Back
Top Bottom