Abolish NCEPT

Obviously when you are not officially in the country club of current controllers I completely understand the sentiment. However I think it’s a little crazy to think prior experience controllers don’t know anything. That being said I completely agree that you can have a wide variety of competency between controller to controller but to me it makes no sense I had to learn and apply the same .65 and abide by FAA rules like others the only difference was I had a uniform on instead of a polo and slacks. But overall I completely agree with your response I just think the agency is missing out of very motivated people who are willing to get their foot in the door and go where they are told but are not utilized because the agency prioritizes “from within” folks.
There is literally a prior experience bid open right now. What more do you want the FAA to do?

Would be nice if the FAA treated prior experience controllers like actual controllers. I would assert that the agency cares far far more about OTS folks than people that have experience and could come bolster numbers. But that would be to too smart anyways so they will continue to look away from the large pool of people who could come in and make this better.
Absolutely. That’s one thing everyone should voice as a concern within this agency and to the NEB The experience of CURRENT controllers being used to address staffing before new hires

Absolutely. That’s one thing everyone should voice as a concern within this agency and to the NEB The experience of CURRENT controllers being used to address staffing before new hires
How many prior experience controllers are applying and not getting hired? I thought the prior experience bid was basically a lock if you qualified. At least in en route prior experience doesn’t mean much by the end of a training class

How many prior experience controllers are applying and not getting hired? I thought the prior experience bid was basically a lock if you qualified. At least in en route prior experience doesn’t mean much by the end of a training class
As long as you do the paperwork correctly and meet the requirements, pretty much all of them. I've never seen anyone not get a TOL that wanted one.

I'm prior experience and so was a good amount of people at my first facility, they all did fine. Now I work at a 12 tracon, also did fine in training and am doing fine as cpc here along with many others who prior experienced straight to my current facility out of the mil. Not sure where the hate comes from.

Then what is this guy even talking about?
Think it's more of a time frame issue than anything. I finished my CIL several months ago, provided everything asked for, and the only response I ever get is, "In queue for medical."

I get there is a queue, but I won't be even remotely surprised when the people from this experience bid that just closed get clearance and lists before I do.

Think it's more of a time frame issue than anything. I finished my CIL several months ago, provided everything asked for, and the only response I ever get is, "In queue for medical."

I get there is a queue, but I won't be even remotely surprised when the people from this experience bid that just closed get clearance and lists before I do.
The micro delays of getting hired aren’t the problem. The problem is the macro amount of peuple getting hired

I'm prior experience and so was a good amount of people at my first facility, they all did fine. Now I work at a 12 tracon, also did fine in training and am doing fine as cpc here along with many others who prior experienced straight to my current facility out of the mil. Not sure where the hate comes from.
We've had a good number of ex-military controllers over the years. None have been any better than any random off the street, and some were a few of the worst on radar because they think they know what they're doing even though they are terrible and won't adapt/learn good technique. I wouldn't say there's any hate, just the same as any other new hire.

We've had a good number of ex-military controllers over the years. None have been any better than any random off the street, and some were a few of the worst on radar because they think they know what they're doing even though they are terrible and won't adapt/learn good technique. I wouldn't say there's any hate, just the same as any other new hire.
Is your background prior to atc, cti school?

To be fair over the past few years there have been more prior exp turning down list of facilities that need bodies to get more desirable locations. Maybe in their eyes it's easier to send a string of classes where they need them vs waiting for prior to accept a certain location.

To be fair over the past few years there have been more prior exp turning down list of facilities that need bodies to get more desirable locations. Maybe in their eyes it's easier to send a string of classes where they need them vs waiting for prior to accept a certain location.
Do they really just get their list and go "nah."? How does the prior experience thing work? Do they put radar controllers in radar facilities?

Do they really just get their list and go "nah."? How does the prior experience thing work? Do they put radar controllers in radar facilities?
Yea that’s exactly what happens. If your prior exp list is BIS SHV ROW SBN AGS ABI AMA people just won’t take it and they will play again next time. A lot of mil guys are at contract towers while they wait for the faa. They know if they get a list they are as good as hired, so unless they are aging out there isn’t a rush to get into the faa, and they have the ability to pass on a crappy list and hope for a better one.

It seems to be random how they are assigned. They “try” to send people to relevant experience facilities but they often fail bc HR has no idea how to read mil paperwork. I’ve seen someone with a PAR rating sent to a tracon bc “they have radar experience”. I’ve seen a radar only guy sent to a busy tower. They try, but they often fail.

Last edited:
A coworker of mine who got picked up in Dec 21 told HR he was not going to take anything unless it was in Colorado and after a little back and forth HR caved and gave him the slot at Pueblo. Basically said thanks but no thanks and he got what he wanted.

A coworker of mine who got picked up in Dec 21 told HR he was not going to take anything unless it was in Colorado and after a little back and forth HR caved and gave him the slot at Pueblo. Basically said thanks but no thanks and he got what he wanted.
Good. I'm happy to hear about controllers putting their foot down.

Back
Top Bottom