Academy with Kids and Spouse

VictorTango

Can anyone share their experience going to the Academy with 2 very young kids and wife/husband? Can it be done? Where to live? How to make it work? Studying and time management tips? Etc. Basically anything that can help me succeed in that situation.

As someone who went through the academy with a pregnant wife and 1 child about a year old, I can tell you the easiest thing to do is leave them back home, it’s less distracting and you’ll have more time to study alone and with groups versus trying to balance work/study life with family life. You’ll end up sacrificing something whether it’s time with them or precious time you could have spent studying.

Do you mean bringing them with you? I'm at the academy now, but left my family back home. I didn't see the need in uprooting my family for a few months only to move again. If you have family and friends nearby that they will be happy being near I wouldn't recommend bringing them unless it's absolutely necessary.

Historically more people then the average have failed when they brought their family. Family can be a distraction and hinder you. Is your wife so good she will watch the kids all the time when your at class and study groups? If not I’m sure you will bring your kids to study groups as “they will just sit there in the corner and be really quiet playing on iPads”. That might not make you the most friends and partnerships.

The FAA is not like the military where people have kids to avoid deployments and that flies, or people get married on paper to increasing housing and other allowances. There are plenty of people who successfully game and scam the FAA but it’s not always a automatic. Do yourself a favor and ask the parents and parents in law to help care for the kids while your gone, leave them at home it will be what’s best for you.

My wife and I had two children both under the age of two when I went to the academy, and the decision was easy... they weren’t going out there. Not only would they be a distraction, but it’s looks pretty stupid to uproot your family for a job you aren’t even guaranteed to have in a few months.

More importantly, you can’t bring your kids to Cowboys

Well the last thread you started said you've already passed the academy, right? So that means you have gone through it just as many times as us, and you know exactly what's out there. Plus you know your family, so you have even more info about the situation than us. So use your best judgement, that's most of the job anyways.

Unless you're making this just to show your wife that everyone thinks it's a bad idea. In which case I don't see what the big deal is, I heard a guy from salt lake brought three wives with him!

Well the last thread you started said you've already passed the academy, right? So that means you have gone through it just as many times as us, and you know exactly what's out there. Plus you know your family, so you have even more info about the situation than us. So use your best judgement, that's most of the job anyways.

Unless you're making this just to show your wife that everyone thinks it's a bad idea. In which case I don't see what the big deal is, I heard a guy from salt lake brought three wives with him!
Yea it would be my second time through. Which is why I am trying to convince myself it may be doable. But I agree with all that has been said, it’s a hard sell.
Still, I posted the question to get other’s perspectives since I know how I feel about it already; just wanted to see if there were different perspectives/ideas out there.

Thanks all for the responses.

I went and left a 2 week old kid and my wife back home (she moved in with her parents). It’s not an easy choice obviously but I don’t regret it. My wife came to visit twice and that was fun, but her being there wouldn’t be fun for either of us. In the long run 3-4 months is really not that long and I would do the same thing again if I had to make the choice all over. Wife still holds it over my head (half jokingly lol) but not that big of a deal

Has HR told you you have to go back to MMAC? I don't even think that's a possibility.

I have no idea. The consensus on another pointSixtyFive thread was that because I resigned as a Develomenral (not yet CPC) I would have to go back to OKC which I guess makes sense to me. But I haven’t gotten oficial word from FAA HR. I havent even applied, I’m waiting for the next OTS bid. Btw anyone have a clue when that could be?

Back
Top Bottom