ACK

I heard all the AG trainees there (like 5 of them) couldn't find affordable housing so they offered them a pretty nice list of places to go to instead? Can anyone with more details chime in? That doesn't seem sustainable. Idk how the faa can staff this place at all. I saw on the NEB minutes a couple months ago affordable housing here was an issue that was brought up and was being looked at. Anyway, could you imagine being so unlucky you got a mandatory slot to ACK and you don't quit and then the faa comes back and says "hey, you want to go to FXE, ,GSO, or SRQ instead? You better play the lottery after that because you'll never have a luckier day in your life

View attachment 6297
rumor has it they were asked what region they would like (west, central, east) which is why the list is loaded with east coast

That’s crazy, really unfortunate for the trainees that they had to do that and the current guys kinda getting screwed. I guess it’s something the FAA should’ve figured out awhile ago though.

I dont know how ACK controllers could even afford housing pre covid/ pre housing boom. I can honestly say if ACK was my only choice I would've walked into student services and quit.

I dont know how ACK controllers could even afford housing pre covid/ pre housing boom. I can honestly say if ACK was my only choice I would've walked into student services and quit.
I wouldn’t have even done that. I would have just bailed lol.

So me and my buddy were talking about it... why hasn't the FAA ended everyone's misery at places like this and installed one of the remote towers here? Looks like back in November of 2021 they deemed the test remote tower at JYO to be operationally viable so why aren't they implementing these towers at places where no one wants to live like GCN and ACK? JYO does almost 300 ops/day according to airnav which is a lot more than all the level 4 and most of the level 5 towers so why not take advantage of this technology and create a big remote tower center in a desirable location which would be operationally efficient if you could have like 20 CPCs qualified at 3 or 4 different airports and run more efficient shifts remotely. Anyway, someone who has connections with the higher ups should float the idea by them and save these poor souls from an eternity on Nantucket.

So me and my buddy were talking about it... why hasn't the FAA ended everyone's misery at places like this and installed one of the remote towers here? Looks like back in November of 2021 they deemed the test remote tower at JYO to be operationally viable so why aren't they implementing these towers at places where no one wants to live like GCN and ACK? JYO does almost 300 ops/day according to airnav which is a lot more than all the level 4 and most of the level 5 towers so why not take advantage of this technology and create a big remote tower center in a desirable location which would be operationally efficient if you could have like 20 CPCs qualified at 3 or 4 different airports and run more efficient shifts remotely. Anyway, someone who has connections with the higher ups should float the idea by them and save these poor souls from an eternity on Nantucket.
Because the billionaires want people in that tower.

Because the billionaires want people in that tower.
Then they should pay exorbitant landing fees to subsidize controller salaries if it's that important to them. If not, they'll just have to get by with people in the remote tower who can afford their own apartment on the mainland. Besides, I'll have to go do more research on it but I don't think they would notice anything different at all operationally.

Then they should pay exorbitant landing fees to subsidize controller salaries if it's that important to them. If not, they'll just have to get by with people in the remote tower who can afford their own apartment on the mainland. Besides, I'll have to go do more research on it but I don't think they would notice anything different at all operationally.
Money talks. Money also votes. The money wants the people. A couple of campaign dollars is more important than a couple of upset employees.

I use to fly in and out of ACK and I can tell you on busy days in the summer time it’s probably beneficial to have people in the tower. Airlines are not keen on operating at airports without operating control towers and professional pilots prefer one as well.

It’s possible a remote tower would be viable solution but as of now a lot of the airlines FOMs/GOMs would need updated for ops there.

they terminated a trainee earlier this year because he/she couldn't find a spot to live/afford to live on the island
you were that trainee. and you weren't fired because you couldn't find a place to live. you were fired because you were given 2 report dates and didn't show up to work on either date. claimed you reached out to landlords that you didn't (the landlords said no controllers reached out to them). tried to pull the allergy card and that didn't work either. other guy in your class found housing, showed up to work, and CPC'd this week no problem

you were that trainee. and you weren't fired because you couldn't find a place to live. you were fired because you were given 2 report dates and didn't show up to work on either date. claimed you reached out to landlords that you didn't (the landlords said no controllers reached out to them). tried to pull the allergy card and that didn't work either. other guy in your class found housing, showed up to work, and CPC'd this week no problem
Someone kept some receipts.

Lol don’t shoot the messenger, I just wrote what I’ve heard through someone else. It’s still Nantucket though, doesn’t sound too far fetched that it’s too expensive for some

samuel-l-jackson-yes-they-deserved-to-die.gif

Back
Top Bottom