Local Area​

External Links​

Attachments

• ACK Affordability Allowance MOU.pdf
    203.7 KB · Views: 22
  • ACK Affordability Calculator.jpeg
    ACK Affordability Calculator.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 33
On the pay chart, what is the note at the bottom "Affordability Differential"? It looks like a substantial bonus because if you do the normal math with the pay tables, the top salary should be only about $107k.

I also noticed a similar thing on the ZUA pay chart, but there it says "Post differential". What are these for and where can I find the amounts?

Affordability differential is in the contract and it says that Nantucket will be paid the difference between its locality percentage (rest of US) and the Boston locality or 10%, whichever is higher.

The Boston locality is 27.48, and rus is 15.37. So Nantucket gets a 12% “affordability differential”

Interesting, thanks for this. I still can't get the math to work though. Adding the locality, CIP, and 12% to the level 6 basic pay only gets me up to ~$120k for the top of the CPC band.

Is ZUA a similar deal? What makes these facilities so unique?

To illustrate the discrepancy:

Basic pay, level 6, CPC max: $86,121
Locality: 15.37%
CIP: 8.00%
Affordability Diff: 12.11% (?)

$86,121 * 1.1537 * 1.08 * 1.1211 = $120,301

Yet the pay chart lists the max CPC salary as $128,056. Where is the extra $8k coming from?

ASE and ACK get affordability diff, which is implemented by the FAA since those facilities are not in DoD locality areas but are extremely high cost areas.
ZUA gets post differential (OPM) because its an non-foreign posting. 20% - cola = post dif

You're right, the formula was off. It calculated the CIP (incorrect) into the check to see which pay scale is higher, then again at the end (correct).

I used to be at ACK I can help with any questions you might have.
From ACK to DAB? Talk about polar opposite cities. I've seen it on the Academy list a couple times so I'll ask, do you know if there's an acceptable job market for my wife if I managed to pass and it happened to be on the list? Also, what price range are people looking at for a 3 bedroom house within 40 minutes of work? Do most people transfer out quickly or are there a lot of people who stay? It seems like it might be a mix of people on the verge of retirement and academy grads. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
From ACK to DAB? Talk about polar opposite cities. I've seen it on the Academy list a couple times so I'll ask, do you know if there's an acceptable job market for my wife if I managed to pass and it happened to be on the list? Also, what price range are people looking at for a 3 bedroom house within 40 minutes of work? Do most people transfer out quickly or are there a lot of people who stay? It seems like it might be a mix of people on the verge of retirement and academy grads. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.
You can probably travel the entire island in less than 40 minutes. I haven't lived there, but just had a manger spend the summer working there. I wouldn't imagine there are a ton of jobs through the entire year available, it seems to be mostly a summer destination. Obviously Jason would be more informed on the entire situation though.

Town of Nantucket Real Estate - Town of Nantucket MA Homes For Sale | Zillow

That will give you an idea of how expensive the island is. i.e. 3 BR/2 BA, 1318 sqft for $1,450,000 built in 1865. Low property taxes though!
Jeeeeeeeeez, I used up all my luck winning the application lottery, didn't think I'd need to win the actual lottery to afford to live near a potential 1st facility!
I checked Indeed/Monster/ZipRecruiter and Zillow, (boring day at the office) but thought I'd get the input of someone who has lived there. Wasn't sure this snapshot in time was 100% indicative of what to expect and maybe he would know a place to live somewhat affordably lol.

Also, what price range are people looking at for a 3 bedroom house within 40 minutes of work?
lol, time to do some more research. The entire island is only 14 miles wide. Commuting into the island is not possible. ACK is one of the least desirable facilities in the country based on sheer cost of living. Mandatory spots at the academy were designed to fill facilities like ACK.

I've been wondering about ACK for a while... my parents love the island, they went there for their honeymoon. Not that I want to go there.

Doesn't it take time to buy a house? I've never bought a house but I would guess it takes longer than the number of travel days you get out of the academy. The only rental on Craigslist is $3,500 a month, and there are no results on Zillow for rentals.

Is there some kind of housing assistance available? There appears to be income based housing but it looks like even AG pay is slightly too high.

If you had to report to ACK and you have a net worth of $9,000, no family, what would you do? Asking for a friend...

Live off island and ferry to work.
Two ferry options.
High speed takes 1 hour and costs $77 (can get it down to $55 by buying in books of 10).
Low speed takes 2 hours and 15 minutes.

As Stealthchain pointed out, they're seasonal and don't run year round. Not an option.

Two ferry options.
High speed takes 1 hour and costs $77 (can get it down to $55 by buying in books of 10).
Low speed takes 2 hours and 15 minutes.

As Stealthchain pointed out, they're seasonal and don't run year round. Not an option.
Guess you just have to buy your own boat then. Or helicopter or C172

Well if we're going that route I'd probably "ferry" in a Skyhawk. Maybe a gyro, they can spot land so ditching in the water would be much safer.

But more likely I'd live in a van down by the ocean.

I've been wondering about ACK for a while... my parents love the island, they went there for their honeymoon. Not that I want to go there.

Doesn't it take time to buy a house? I've never bought a house but I would guess it takes longer than the number of travel days you get out of the academy. The only rental on Craigslist is $3,500 a month, and there are no results on Zillow for rentals.

Is there some kind of housing assistance available? There appears to be income based housing but it looks like even AG pay is slightly too high.

If you had to report to ACK and you have a net worth of $9,000, no family, what would you do? Asking for a friend...
You won't be able to afford to buy a house on the island with your income. Your only hope is to find a studio garage apartment for an outrageous amount, certify as quick as you can, and get out.

Back
Top Bottom