Agency transfer

Non51

Lurker
Anyone have experience transferring from the FAA to another government agency?
I'm wondering how the pay scale transfers to the GS scale.

Good point checking the DOD. That being said the position I'm interested in is not ATC related and not DOD or FAA. DOD seems pretty simple because you have atc qualifications. But how does our pay and experience transfer to another agency on the GS scale. Say a 10 year CPC at a level 12. Thanks for the reply

Good point checking the DOD. That being said the position I'm interested in is not ATC related and not DOD or FAA. DOD seems pretty simple because you have atc qualifications. But how does our pay and experience transfer to another agency on the GS scale. Say a 10 year CPC at a level 12. Thanks for the reply
Concept remains the same to a point. A few things:
-Check the job announcement for GS level/locality
-Google (on my mobile atm) the GS pay scale and locality for the area the job is located in
-Check the qualifications for that announcement

Honestly if you are coming from a 12 expect to be at the top of that particular GS band that is in the announcement (for example GS-12 step 10).

If it is not GS scale (they do exist) look on that particular agency’s website for the pay scale.

-Google (on my mobile atm) the GS pay scale and locality for the area the job is located in

Honestly if you are coming from a 12 expect to be at the top of that particular GS band that is in the announcement (for example GS-12 step 10).

If it is not GS scale (they do exist) look on that particular agency’s website for the pay scale.
That's what I was thinking.
Most positions say you have the be the lower GS scale first but obviously we have our own system. But I was unsure if pay alone would be the determining factor for GS level. Thanks for the input.

That's what I was thinking.
Most positions say you have the be the lower GS scale first but obviously we have our own system. But I was unsure if pay alone would be the determining factor for GS level. Thanks for the input.
If it’s a GS7/9/11 (might be similar) or such you might have to take a significant pay cut until you meet the merits for promotion to the next grade (again read the announcement or talk to HR). Read over everything carefully, if you get selected HR should still cut a TOL and you have the option to negotiate. Don’t be afraid to negotiate salary, it is time consuming but ask for the moon.

I left a lvl 9 and became GS12 step 10. I was at the bottom of the 9 band.

Anyone here have experience transferring from a federal agency to FAA? DM please!
I did, there’s not much to it. The biggest thing is just to make sure you grab a couple copies of your SF-50 and your two latest LES statements from your prior agency so HR can transfer your leave over and get your save pay going too. That’s about all there is to it. Nothing should really be your responsibility other than to make sure you have a paper trail and to communicate with both your HR reps from both agencies but they’ll handle almost everything for you.

Last edited:
I did, there’s not much to it. The biggest thing is just to make sure you grab a couple copies of your SF-50 and your two latest LES statements from your prior agency so HR can transfer your leave over and get your save pay going too. That’s about all there is to it. Nothing should really your responsibility other than to make sure you have a paper trail and to communicate with both your HR reps from both agencies but they’ll handle almost everything for you.
Did they make you submit a letter of resignation?

ok, ya they want me to do that. doesn't seem right.
Talk to your FAA HR rep, they know a ton and were really helpful for me. Tell them what your agency wants you to do and if that’s normal etc. chances are they’ve seen this before or not and can contact your old agencies rep and ask what’s up.

I did, there’s not much to it. The biggest thing is just to make sure you grab a couple copies of your SF-50 and your two latest LES statements from your prior agency so HR can transfer your leave over and get your save pay going too. That’s about all there is to it. Nothing should really be your responsibility other than to make sure you have a paper trail and to communicate with both your HR reps from both agencies but they’ll handle almost everything for you.
I'm about to head to the academy from a federal job (DoD). How did your save pay work at the academy? Did they pay you what you were making before? Or did you have to take the low academy pay and get save pay after?

I'm about to head to the academy from a federal job (DoD). How did your save pay work at the academy? Did they pay you what you were making before? Or did you have to take the low academy pay and get save pay after?
Depending on your salary you may take a pay cut while at the academy. I was a GS12 and when I went through, with insurance and TSP deductions and taxes my net pay was around $750. But once you make it, and depending on your level of facility you’ll get placed back at your old base pay.

Anyone here have experience transferring from a federal agency to FAA? DM please!
Everything said above and keep track of your leave balance on employee express. I kept fighting to get my leave transferred and finally got it about 7 months into the agency.
You'll get placed at the top of the academy pay-band. Then once you graduate and get AG, that salary is set with no movement in the pay-band (hence we get lump sums for raises). You can see this on the facility info pages here.

Back
Top Bottom