Audiogram Baseline Issue

Holmyjj42

Lurker
Hello, I’m currently in the hiring process for prior experience bid and just completed my physical today, everything went fine except for my audiogram, specifically my right ear which didn’t meet the baseline for the Audiogram for the FAA. I am hoping it’s nothing serious, was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and what was the outcome. I’m hoping they either see it as not an issue or at the very least let me retake it. I work in a factory so I’m figuring that has a part to play working all morning before taking it, as well as them putting a sanitary cloth over the earpieces on the headset which I could hear every time I would slightly adjust my position.

Hello, I’m currently in the hiring process for prior experience bid and just completed my physical today, everything went fine except for my audiogram, specifically my right ear which didn’t meet the baseline for the Audiogram for the FAA. I am hoping it’s nothing serious, was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and what was the outcome. I’m hoping they either see it as not an issue or at the very least let me retake it. I work in a factory so I’m figuring that has a part to play working all morning before taking it, as well as them putting a sanitary cloth over the earpieces on the headset which I could hear every time I would slightly adjust my position.
I know of controllers that wear hearing aids, hopefully they let you pass??

Back in the day they would send you for a second test based on voice recognition. Basically a computer would whisper in your ear and as long as you could make out the words you passed. That test was allegedly a lot easier. I’m not sure if that’s still the process though or if it’s different now.

They should send you to an audiologist for a second testing to determine if you pass the other tests. They will give you a special consideration to wear a hearing aid in your right ear if your left ear is good and you can pass the tests with corrected hearing. If you pass the speech discrimination audio test you’ll be fine. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I did enough of that before I got in and now I’m bald. You will have to go to an audiologist annually though outside of your medical to get your hearing tested to make sure it doesn’t get worse.

I’m a controller who wears hearing aids. I submit an audiogram yearly to keep my medical clearance, don’t let this hiccup stop you! Message me if you have any questions and I’ll help however I can

Just a quick update. The doctor called me back said he believed it was a faulty test because someone else going through the faa hiring process had the same thing happen so I went back for a retest and passed easily this time. So no more worrying about it! Haha thanks for all the input from y’all! One step closer now!

How do they exactly test eye sight?
Depends on your AME-EE or FS… some have you look at a snellen chart down a hallway. Others have you do that machine thing like the DMV. I believe for ATC initial hires they’re supposed to do the machine thing because it also has slides for color vision, but some just use the circle book.

How do they exactly test eye sight?
They use one of the machines you look into that test left eye and right eye with the letters, then they do depth perception then the color blindness.

Depends on your AME-EE or FS… some have you look at a snellen chart down a hallway. Others have you do that machine thing like the DMV. I believe for ATC initial hires they’re supposed to do the machine thing because it also has slides for color vision, but some just use the circle book.
They had me do both the book and the machine for color blindness.

Back
Top Bottom