AWS schedule rotation

ATC_av8er

Trusted Contributor
Anybody have this at their facility? Already trying to work something out for a 9/5/4 schedule for next year and looking to see how others do it. Thanks for the assistance.

I have worked all kinds of compressed schedules but they never rotated days off if that’s what you are saying. I wouldn’t try to rotate days off if I were you. Go with compressed schedules but with fixed days off. Rotating days off are a outdated relic of the Regan era hires. They served their purpose but there is no need for them now. Plus building a 549 schedule with rotating days off that also makes sense and appeases management would be a nightmare.

We have some lines with rotating days off at my facility. I don't know how they work though. I think thrtr are 6 or 8 people on them.

Worked rotating days in the military and it was the worst.
You can’t plan shit without a slide rule and some tarot cards.
“I don’t understand why someone should have more than one day off while rotating every other week” -Probably an E-6 somewhere…

I have worked all kinds of compressed schedules but they never rotated days off if that’s what you are saying. I wouldn’t try to rotate days off if I were you. Go with compressed schedules but with fixed days off. Rotating days off are a outdated relic of the Regan era hires. They served their purpose but there is no need for them now. Plus building a 549 schedule with rotating days off that also makes sense and appeases management would be a nightmare.
You must not work at a facility where 70% of the controllers have a seniority date within 2 years of each other

Our one day off consisted of standing duty or doing some dumb squadron formation cause you know…. Everyone else works during the week while we work the weekend
Bro I feel for the enlisted here, it sucks because they keep piling on pointless “career enhancement” shit for them to do . That said, I’m a rather dickish way, I don’t think about work the moment I leave for my Sat/Sun off.

I used to hate the rotating schedule in the military, but now I’d kill to know I’m getting a weekend off at some point.
My life has a consistent schedule and not being off the same nights or days every week would fuck that up.
Anyone who thinks a rotating schedule is a good idea clearly doesn’t have kids in any kind of activities.
Good luck coaching your kids soccer team when your days off change every week or every few weeks.

Fuck that with a cactus

My life has a consistent schedule and not being off the same nights or days every week would fuck that up.
Anyone who thinks a rotating schedule is a good idea clearly doesn’t have kids in any kind of activities.
Good luck coaching your kids soccer team when your days off change every week or every few weeks.

Fuck that with a cactus
Oh I agree, it just would be nice to feel like I’m a normal member of society sometimes and not looking for people to hang out with on a Tuesday night ?

Not OP, but rotating days off sounds appealing to me since I’m last in seniority and stuck on Wednesday Thursday RDOs.

Not OP, but rotating days off sounds appealing to me since I’m last in seniority and stuck on Wednesday Thursday RDOs.
Will they sound appealing to you when you are half way up seniority and have all sets of days off often available other then Friday Saturday? That’s the issue with alternating days, and it todays hiring blitz people move up fast.

Rotating 5/2 5/3 works. Super slow rotation. 9 hour shifts majority of the time, depending on your days off that week you either have 8- 9hour shifts and a single 8 hour shift. Or you have 10 8 hour shifts (typically when you have your days off near the weekend). I loved working a rotator, it was fair, even, and it gave everyone the same access to night diff, weekends off, holiday pay, etc. The biggest complaint people had was "its so hard to plan things out because idk when I'll have off" so I created a Google calendar for each crew and projected the days off for over a year. Lmk if you have any other questions.

We should just bid smaller periods. I bet some of the boomers would take weekdays off in the summer
Trimesters, some places do do that. The elder crew can work Sundays in February-April while the weather sucks and football is done, then pick between weekends off or keep Friday Saturday off through summer, then all go back to weekends off or Sunday Monday for football and the holidays.

Trimesters, some places do do that. The elder crew can work Sundays in February-April while the weather sucks and football is done, then pick between weekends off or keep Friday Saturday off through summer, then all go back to weekends off or Sunday Monday for football and the holidays.
That sounds kinda cool. I don’t see why you can’t still bid it for the whole year so leave makes sense

Will they sound appealing to you when you are half way up seniority and have all sets of days off often available other then Friday Saturday? That’s the issue with alternating days, and it todays hiring blitz people move up fast.
Highest seniority person here still has around 10 more years before being eligible for retirement, and some trainees are higher than me in seniority too. I’d be cool with just a couple lines being rotating days and everyone else staying on fixed days if they want.

Did rotating days at my first facility. Week of days, week of nights, and every 6th or 7th week was a week of mids. It was by far the worst thing I’ve ever worked. We got a handy, dandy little card with our RDOs mapped out for the year, and it was super fun pulling it out of my wallet anytime I wanted to make plans 2+ weeks down the road.

I think the best I’ve ever worked is split 10’s. You work 2 days, have a day off, work 2 days, have 2 days off. Although my 8/10 line a few years ago was pretty sick. My 8 hour week had the mid that rolled into my 3 day weekend. So essentially every other week I had 4 days off. Now I’m just working OT every week so who gives a fuck about RDOs anyway?

Back
Top Bottom