AWS schedule rotation

I cant stand rotating days off, I left the military for that same reason, it's to stressful to coordinate work schedules and whatnot with your spouse and kids. Can't do anything that requires commitment. We rotate every two weeks here and I literally am just counting days til I can leave for a static schedule. Like just give me two days off consistently I don't care when they are.

I cant stand rotating days off, I left the military for that same reason, it's to stressful to coordinate work schedules and whatnot with your spouse and kids. Can't do anything that requires commitment. We rotate every two weeks here and I literally am just counting days til I can leave for a static schedule. Like just give me two days off consistently I don't care when they are.
You guys get two days off in a row?

You can if your higher in seniority. At the bottom people will be stuck with the shitty dregs as usual. I don’t see why we should give the top people so much leeway throughout the year. I would hate that.
A lot of this. Bottom people still get screwed and top get even more.

Year round prime time also screws the junior people, as only the senior people get good summer weeks and then they don’t have to work overtime in the summer to support other people’s days off.

I worked at one facility where sat/sun permanent days off would go down to like the 30th/ 40 people since people wanted the Sunday pay. Thu/Fri went to super senior people cause it was best for their family life.

I’ve also worked a bunch of different crazy rotating ones which were only good when I was single and didn’t care about a normal life. Also 4 10’s which are kind of cool, but not super great since it was 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off. Maybe 3 days off in a row would have been better.

But hey, I finally climbed to the 1st person to bid spot in my area. (top 2 are article 114- I don’t work people).

So victory is mine at 20 years in. I empathize with people at the bottom though. I was there for a while.

I think permanent days off and larger prime time periods are somewhat fair. Least fair in my opinion is bidding probably whatever trimester you want days off and then year round prime time. Also bidding a lot of leave and giving it back constantly. That’s a bit of a dick move too.

But schedules never make everyone happy.

Last edited:
You guys get two days off in a row?
Yes, but on one rotation into the next set, it's just one. Its not the worst just trying to have a spouse with a a job or career, while making sure kids get taken to school and picked up is a nightmare. Get a lot of grief(nagging) from it ?

Year round prime time also screws the junior people, as only the senior people get good summer weeks and then they don’t have to work overtime in the summer to support other people’s days off.

I worked at one facility where sat/sun permanent days off would go down to like the 30th/ 40 people since people wanted the Sunday pay. Thu/Fri went to super senior people cause it was best for their family life.

I’ve also worked a bunch of different crazy rotating ones which were only good when I was single and didn’t care about a normal life. Also 4 10’s which are kind of cool, but not super great since it was 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off. Maybe 3 days off in a row would have been better.

But hey, I finally climbed to the 1st person to bid spot in my area. (top 2 are article 114- I don’t work people).

So victory is mine at 20 years in. I empathize with people at the bottom though. I was there for a while.

I think permanent days off and larger prime time periods are somewhat fair. Least fair in my opinion is bidding probably whatever trimester you want days off and then year round prime time. Also bidding a lot of leave and giving it back constantly. That’s a bit of a dick move too.

I would probably quit if forced on to a Sunday off schedule. It’s bullshit that a single day of the week gives out more pay for no reason beyond being a typical religious day of worship. I’m not about to get a paycut just because I am not scheduled to work on that day and it’s out of my control. The incentive pay should be spread to one of the 3 days of the weekend (fri/sat/sun) and you’re only eligible to get paid out the incentive for one of the days.

The incentive pay should be spread to one of the 3 days of the weekend (fri/sat/sun) and you’re only eligible to get paid out the incentive for one of the days.
With the way people have been calling out on the weekends this year, maybe this could be a way help our Fri/Sat staffing. I'd certainly go for it

I would probably quit if forced on to a Sunday off schedule. It’s bullshit that a single day of the week gives out more pay for no reason beyond being a typical religious day of worship. I’m not about to get a paycut just because I am not scheduled to work on that day and it’s out of my control. The incentive pay should be spread to one of the 3 days of the weekend (fri/sat/sun) and you’re only eligible to get paid out the incentive for one of the days.
Dude, Sunday pays an extra 25% due to the potential to miss football, not religion.

It drives me nuts when someone has leave in, doesn’t cancel it and shows up to their shift- Especially when there are other requests in on Web Scheduler. Be courteous to your coworkers- cancel it the day before if you’re not gonna take it.
But, then again most of the guys I see do it are old heads who don’t know how to use technology, let alone Web Scheduler.

Is line 26 picked first?
It went to #3 after Thr/Fri/Sat and Sat/Sun/Mon

What are your staffing numbers for day/swing? Seems like a nice mix of shift options.
7/7. I set it up so that there are always 10 people on the day and 9 on the night, but that can be remedied by adding a night in place of the 2/1/2 in line 18. Another controller in my area helped me with the spreadsheet that we took to mgmt showing them that there is adequate coverage every day and the AWS shifts help for the most needed hours of the day. DM me if anyone wants a copy -- its a good tool.

They also worked out a pretty cool schedule at JFK if anyone knows people there. I'm currently trying to draw up a schedule that includes 4 on 4 off but still covers the 80 hours. I'll post it here if I come up with anything worth while.

Back
Top Bottom