C90 Bid - AGL-AT-22-0073-76612

They didn't want my low level experience 4 years ago and I doubt they want it now. I wanted a shot but have since moved on to somewhere I'd much rather be. It all depends on the experience you have but it sounds like they’re giving level 7 radar guys a shot and I think somewhere in this thread is mention of a level 5 guy getting selected too. I'm sure networking and really making your interest known goes a long way but if you only have tower experience, probably best to explore other options.
I appreciate the response and am glad you’ve moved on to something and somewhere you would rather be. I’m all about working hard while on position and learning new things and techniques, but I feel like my academy assignment has damned me for all eternity in the eyes of C90s hiring process. I can’t compete with higher level transfers on paper. I’d love a shot to prove my worth and show I know what I’m doing in a busy airspace, but I feel like I’m constantly passed over due to applicants from higher level facilities with “more” experience.

I know C90 trainers and controllers don’t want to waste their time on transfers who just can’t make it, but I don’t believe that just because somebody got assigned a level 5,6,7 up/down of the academy damns them from actually working meaningful traffic. Maybe somebody from C90 can respond but what are the common failures you see from low level FAA transfers?

I appreciate the response and am glad you’ve moved on to something and somewhere you would rather be. I’m all about working hard while on position and learning new things and techniques, but I feel like my academy assignment has damned me for all eternity in the eyes of C90s hiring process. I can’t compete with higher level transfers on paper. I’d love a shot to prove my worth and show I know what I’m doing in a busy airspace, but I feel like I’m constantly passed over due to applicants from higher level facilities with “more” experience.

I know C90 trainers and controllers don’t want to waste their time on transfers who just can’t make it, but I don’t believe that just because somebody got assigned a level 5,6,7 up/down of the academy damns them from actually working meaningful traffic. Maybe somebody from C90 can respond but what are the common failures you see from low level FAA transfers?
Most of C90s recent certs are from mid-low level up downs… the main thing that people can’t seem to get is keeping up with the pace of things. That being said most of the failures in the past were withdrawals due to the work environment. It’s a different facility now.
Also a new update, 4 supes have been selected from in house which is great news. Also we are restarting cross training…

Anyone picked up lately?

I saw the atm position is on usajobs, I assume this will slow selections up in the future. Hopefully not

I haven’t heard anything either. I‘m guessing the ATM movement will affect things.
We are picking up approximately 4-6 with Fall report dates. The lab will probably expand to four sessions per day sometime in the fall as well so that should all but erase our backlog by the end of the year. So far the vibe is positive on the new temp ATM. Summer traffic is knocking on the door but we have been getting the junior crews lots of training on CIC and some cross training/recerts (3 so far) to alleviate the staffing issues. Leave is being approved when staffing allows (weather dependent still) Hoping to knock out a few more certifications before summer.....

Just had an ALL HANDS meeting with the new ATM. He wants to flood C90 with CPC-ITs asap! His goal is to have SAIC running several more sims a day to help with the “water fall” program.

My advice to anyone wanting to come to Chicago is to put in your paperwork immediately!! Good luck!

Just had an ALL HANDS meeting with the new ATM. He wants to flood C90 with CPC-ITs asap! His goal is to have SAIC running several more sims a day to help with the “water fall” program.

My advice to anyone wanting to come to Chicago is to put in your paperwork immediately!! Good luck!
What did you expect them to say 🤣🤣

I’m also looking for an update. Any word of when the next batch of people will get picked up from the referrals? Are low level controllers still getting a possible shot or just predominately 8 and above

So far there has been 1 lucky winner from the May and June referrals. But HR assured me they may make more selections in the future.

Last edited:
New referral list was pulled last week. Any insiders or anyone have any insight on how many they are pulling from this list and possible timelines?

New referral list was pulled last week. Any insiders or anyone have any insight on how many they are pulling from this list and possible timelines?
Curious as well. Got referred on this pull. I spoke with C90’s FACREP a while ago and he was saying that they may only take a few more this year. I don’t remember if he gave a number or not but I’m assuming maybe only 3 or 4 more slots are left on this year’s bid.

Got the word today. Gonna dot some i’s and cross some t’s. Not sure what start date I’m going to choose yet but I want to get out there and check out the area here soon. Anyone else get anything?

Back
Top Bottom