Serious Contracting out low-level towers

Except for the lack of sticking up for Atlanta controllers to get level 13 pay because “...Atlanta isn’t getting level 13 until Chicago does first...” The local and management had to petition for it themselves and eventually got it paid out.
A80 is a 13?

While things can always change, the government currently has no intentions of contracting facilities. It has less to do about ops count and more about money and resources. The goal is more likely to restructure the pay scale and add a lvl 3 band.

Last edited:
While things can always change, the government currently has no intentions of contracting facilities. It has less to do about ops count and more about money and resources. The goal is more likely to restructure the pay scale and add a lvl 3 band.
Level 3s lol. I haven’t heard that one but it could be a bridge to avoid contracts.

So if level 4 is like maybe 3 planes an hour. A level 3 would be like 2 planes an hour right?

So if level 4 is like maybe 3 planes an hour. A level 3 would be like 2 planes an hour right?
The bottom of the level 5 TCI number for a VFR tower equated to about 52K operations a year. That can be more of less depending on the mix of traffic types, but generally any tower only under 50K ops a year is a level 4. Some of the lowest towers in the FAA only do about 20K a year.

The real question is why facilities start at level 4 and not level 1.
I am not sure if this is true, but it used to be levels 1-5. They went to the whiteboard and started counting. Got to twelve and said this is dumb, started erasing and stopped at 4. The next day they came back to the whiteboard and it was still 4 through 12 on the board. The FAA said “wow we have done it again, we are brilliant!” So here we are.

Integrity...nah. Just fucking stubborn.

NATCA should be inherently opposed to contracting until the contract tower system is fixed. It is a shit system that allows companies like RVA to put profit before safety. NATCA under Carr recognized that.
The guy running for natca pres is opposed to 804 consolidations and contracting out of facilities

What’s the projected timeframe on the T75 consolidation?
According to the NEB minutes, I think they're just waiting on a good cutover date. Probably would've been done by now if not for covid.

Edit: just went back and looked and in March they said stopped due to covid and once it restarts, it will be 19 months before cutover occurred. In April they were looking to get the workers in place to do the job. In June, they were seeking district approval to resume in person work to start the on-site work in the building.

Last edited:
According to the NEB minutes, I think they're just waiting on a good cutover date. Probably would've been done by now if not for covid.

Edit: just went back and looked and in March they said stopped due to covid and once it restarts, it will be 19 months before cutover occurred. In April they were looking to get the workers in place to do the job. In June, they were seeking district approval to resume in person work to start the on-site work in the building.
That’s good information! So how I read that, as long as they haven’t gotten district approval to resume in person work they’re still atleast 19 months out. Realistically over 2 years probably….

That’s good information! So how I read that, as long as they haven’t gotten district approval to resume in person work they’re still atleast 19 months out. Realistically over 2 years probably….
Yeah that's how I see it too. Idk when the next neb minutes will drop but it should be soon I would think

Back
Top Bottom