Controller Annoyance at touch n go’s/practice approaches

SFGiants10

Just wondering how annoyed controller are at aircraft that want to do touch n go’s or practice approaches especially if it’s multiple from the same aircraft?

Also, I been reading about aircraft who want to go do touch n go’s at big airports with traffic light due to the Coronavirus. I think there might have been a video on YouTube about someone doing it? If the big airport is not busy at all, why can’t they accommodate it? Are they just annoyed or not wanting to accomodate? I mean GA airports like Centennial in Denver do touch n go’s all the time and get less weight per op than an air carrier

This just comes down to a little bit of empathy from both pilots and controllers. If as a pilot I’m getting my downwind extended, Or I can tell there’s a high workload for a controller I don’t have any problem going To the nearest non-towered airport and getting landing practice done. However, some pilots don’t have those choices especially in huge metro areas or the money to blow through by going away from their closest towered airfield. I’m not in the terminal environment on the ATC side, but I can only imagine the frustration of listening to a long winded 82 year old Mooney pilot or a foreign student pilot on their first solo clogging up a frequency while you’re trying to sequence 5-10 planes that aren’t like types.
TL;DR: A little bit of empathy and professionalism from pilots and ATC goes a long way.

We usually happily accommodate pattern work, from the put-puts, to T38s and C130s, or the occaisonal fancy jet trying to impress the put-puts.

I have no issue with practice aoproaches, although many more than three and I start to get annoyed... Mainly because mostly they're doing 110 knots and it takes FOREVER. I personally do not care which airport you do them at. Having said that my current core 30 airport never allows practice aoproaches per the airport authority, my previous core 30 airport does not either. My first core 30 airport had no issue with it if you could arrive between the rushes. Depends on the airport operators and what their rules are.

We work small planes, big planes, slow and fast planes. Mostly everyone at my facility enjoys the mix of planes or multiple approaches, t-gs, etc. I always feel like those that do get pissed off when they see aircraft coming in with requests just don’t like their job and/or are the same people who always have something to complain about.

I don’t mind practice approaches. We’ve been getting a lot here at D21 recently with things being so slow. Only time I get annoyed is when you get the Cessna N12345 that answers every transmission I make with “was that for N12345”..... I then say “Skyhawk345, again negative, that was not for you, be advised similar sounding call signs, DeltaXXXX on frequency as well”

Last edited:
most places, especially places that mostly have commercial traffic, aren’t working 10 planes an hour right now let alone all at once.
I was thinking in pre-pandemic terms. For mostly commercial use airports, I would imagine y’all would welcome the pattern work to keep the numbers up even a little bit. These are strange times

The real annoying ones are the ones who go out on thanksgiving or Christmas and are the only person flying and they are all chipper “good morning approach! Happy thanksgiving! Gobble gobble! I will be doing multiple ILS....”
First of all... you’re requesting not doing... and go home to your family, some of us wish we could be home

The real annoying ones are the ones who go out on thanksgiving or Christmas and are the only person flying and they are all chipper “good morning approach! Happy thanksgiving! Gobble gobble! I will be doing multiple ILS....”
First of all... you’re requesting not doing... and go home to your family, some of us wish we could be home
Sounds like you hate your job . You’re providing a service no matter what day of the year it is .

Shhhhhh..... You forget you aren't allowed to just be in it for the money and benefits in this job, you have to live and breath aviation, know how many cup holders are in a 71 Mooney and genuinely love the sight of a legacy 747 or you are a shit bag controller.
yeah supes and fellow controllers and the FAA ruined this job for me. I do it solely for the money and benefits lol

The guys at P50 are always mean to us doing practice approaches. Even before covid they make it very clear that they hate us.
We had a controller transfer from there, now certified, but was monitoring some thunderstorm buildups with a few deviations. After watching for awhile, he asked the controller working when he was going to get in-trail. The controller said he was getting in-trail and the guy from Phoenix eyes got bigger. He said if that happened there, they would get 25-30 in-trail! So it doesn’t surprise me that they get annoyed working less traffic and a few practice approaches.

Back
Top Bottom