Detached facilities at airports (do you have an airport badge?)

ATCJoe85

Forum Sage
Being that I'm a bit of a weirdo, I love the airport environment. People watching, hanging out at a restaurant, walking around the terminal... all fun for me.

My tower is detached from the terminal, and so they don't give us badges. But I am looking to change that. Would like to have access to employee security when I fly, would like to have access to the food, among other things.

Anybody at a facility detached from the terminals, but still have access to the terminals?

TIA.

Being that I'm a bit of a weirdo, I love the airport environment. People watching, hanging out at a restaurant, walking around the terminal... all fun for me.

My tower is detached from the terminal, and so they don't give us badges. But I am looking to change that. Would like to have access to employee security when I fly, would like to have access to the food, among other things.

Anybody at a facility detached from the terminals, but still have access to the terminals?

TIA.
I love all of this too, I hadn't even considered I might get placed somewhere that's separate lol

TIA.
Uhhh you definitely wont have access to employee security if you fly, thats not what sida is for. You have to go through tsa if you're flying. We have them but we use them to go get food from the terminal. Its not meant to "hang out" in the terminal on your days off.

Last edited:
Uhhh you definitely wont have access to employee security if you fly, thats not what sida is for. You have to go through tsa if you're flying. We have them but we use them to go get food for the terminal. Its not meant to "hang out" in the terminal on your days off.
I believe he was referring to the employee line at the checkpoint, which I believe is still okay. But yes, unless you have a specific work-related duty that requires you to be in the sterile or secured areas, you shouldn’t be back there.

I believe he was referring to the employee line at the checkpoint, which I believe is still okay. But yes, unless you have a specific work-related duty that requires you to be in the sterile or secured areas, you shouldn’t be back there.
the employee line is to get back there to work not to fly.

TIA.
As stated above, Airport management will not grant you access to the SIDA unless you have an operational need to be there.

You still arent supposed to use that line unless you're on duty. Ill tell you a quick story about someone who did this and almost lost their job. Went through the employee line which means tsa didnt scan their boarding pass. They get to the gate and somehow they knew they didnt go through security but were at the gate trying to board. It set off alarm bells because of the breach of security.

I asked an airside ops guy about this because I also was interested in getting one and we’re not in the airside boundary. He couldn’t think of any rules that prevented us from having one but wasn’t sure airport management would approve it if it wasn’t actually necessary.

Lmao our faa badge is TSA pre check you didn’t know that?!
I tried using my FAA badge at TSA one time just as an experiment since there was a memo saying PIVs meet real ID standards and can be used at TSA checkpoints.

The “officer” didn’t recognize what it was and asked for a driver’s license. I didn’t wanna make a stink so I just handed it over.

He couldn’t think of any rules that prevented us from having one but wasn’t sure airport management would approve it if it wasn’t actually necessary.
Yeah, this is pretty much my expectation... likely not against the rules, but not necessary either. I'm just wondering if there's precedent to ask management to look into it. Mainly looking to add some food options into the mix, and to be able to fulfill my AVGeek desires. Kinda a "I work at the airport, why can't I access the airport" line of thought.

Lmao our faa badge is TSA pre check you didn’t know that?!
Used my badge for regular TSA a long time ago, never tried it for pre. Of course, if you dont have Pre/Global Entry through a Citi/Chase/Amex card credit, you're doing it wrong anyways.

I tried using my FAA badge at TSA one time just as an experiment since there was a memo saying PIVs meet real ID standards and can be used at TSA checkpoints.

The “officer” didn’t recognize what it was and asked for a driver’s license. I didn’t wanna make a stink so I just handed it over.
I use PIV every time. They know it now. Every time I fly I use it. But only through TSA. I don’t flash it on the plane. I like my job

I use PIV every time. They know it now. Every time I fly I use it. But only through TSA. I don’t flash it on the plane. I like my job
Makes sense. I just thought it was odd the TSA dude in my case had no clue what it was. Don’t they get the same PIVs from DHS? Maybe that one guy was just an idiot.

I love all of this too, I hadn't even considered I might get placed somewhere that's separate lol
Start considering. I haven't made a painstaking study but just from looking around at google maps of various places it seems the tower is more often than not on the other side of the field from the terminal building. Or behind it. Even where the tower is attached to the terminal that doesn't mean you have access to the gates, I know (for example) you don't need to pass through TSA to get to the towers at ORD or STL.

Guy was an idiot. I use my piv every time. All government employee id's are valid to get through tsa, any agency.
Just because it's valid in theory doesn't mean they'll let you in. There was that story a few years ago about an agent who wouldn't accept a Washington, DC-issued driver's license...

Makes sense. I just thought it was odd the TSA dude in my case had no clue what it was. Don’t they get the same PIVs from DHS? Maybe that one guy was just an idiot.

Guy was an idiot. I use my piv every time. All government employee id's are valid to get through tsa, any agency.
I just flew last weekend and the guy on the way back didn’t know what to do when I handed my piv to him. Luckily I have a real ID so I just gave him that instead of having to make a fuss about it. First time that’s ever happened.

I just flew last weekend and the guy on the way back didn’t know what to do when I handed my piv to him. Luckily I have a real ID so I just gave him that instead of having to make a fuss about it. First time that’s ever happened.
The lack of knowledge/training from some of those checkpoint guys is crazy. Like if you can’t recognize a Federal Government ID, what else are you missing.

The lack of knowledge/training from some of those checkpoint guys is crazy. Like if you can’t recognize a Federal Government ID, what else are you missing.
That’s gotta be the noob job. Do one CBI and you can sit there and scan IDs.

Back
Top Bottom