Developmental rehire

Bart Harley Jarvis

Trusted Contributor
So I ran into an unfortunate and unique situation, which is why I haven't been on here recently. Two months into my first tower my medical got suspended due to a previously undiagnosed heart issue. Not life threatening, but not FAA approved.

I was going to be terminated if I submitted my paperwork so after discussing with 4 different doctors all familiar with the situation (one with NATCA), it was in my best interest to resign for "personal and health reasons" then let them do it for me, in the off chance I can get this thing corrected which I pretty much have to get lucky for.

Fast forward now about 6 months later I had to go to the doctor for the flu and when they checked on it I showed surprising improvement (but still not where I want to be). Even if it's a year or two or however long down the road, if I can get a clean bill of health, how would I go about trying to reapply (if that's even a possibility). I passed the academy comfortably, but didn't get the full 52 weeks so I'm in a weird grey area. I live near a level 5 tower that is currently sitting at I think 70ish% staffing, would I be able to apply directly there?

I work near an airport and pretty much get FOMO everytime I see a plane come and go, and am really hoping to be able to one day get back in if my health cooperates, as I know I am fully capable of doing this job. Any advice would be appreciated.

So I ran into an unfortunate and unique situation, which is why I haven't been on here recently. Two months into my first tower my medical got suspended due to a previously undiagnosed heart issue. Not life threatening, but not FAA approved.

I was going to be terminated if I submitted my paperwork so after discussing with 4 different doctors all familiar with the situation (one with NATCA), it was in my best interest to resign for "personal and health reasons" then let them do it for me, in the off chance I can get this thing corrected which I pretty much have to get lucky for.

Fast forward now about 6 months later I had to go to the doctor for the flu and when they checked on it I showed surprising improvement (but still not where I want to be). Even if it's a year or two or however long down the road, if I can get a clean bill of health, how would I go about trying to reapply (if that's even a possibility). I passed the academy comfortably, but didn't get the full 52 weeks so I'm in a weird grey area. I live near a level 5 tower that is currently sitting at I think 70ish% staffing, would I be able to apply directly there?

I work near an airport and pretty much get FOMO everytime I see a plane come and go, and am really hoping to be able to one day get back in if my health cooperates, as I know I am fully capable of doing this job. Any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't believe that your 52 weeks of experience clock starts until you fully certify.

OP, 52 weeks of certified controlling doesn’t matter for CPC reinstatement as long as you’ve completed your 1 year probationary period and obtained CPC status. You didn’t reach either so the direct hire is a no go for sure. As stated above, your best bet is another OTS bid, no grey area .

OP, 52 weeks of certified controlling doesn’t matter for CPC reinstatement as long as you’ve completed your 1 year probationary period and obtained CPC status. You didn’t reach either so the direct hire is a no go for sure. As stated above, your best bet is another OTS bid, no grey area .

Well damn! I guess I'd have to go through all that again. Round 2 at the academy. But I'd do whatever I need to if I get the chance again.

Aren't you really young like early 20s? You have a long time to hopefully fix the problem and get rehired since you don't age out at 31.
26 in March. I am following doctors orders and apparently in a year or two it could fix itself but it could also never go away. Time will tell but I miss it man, it was everything I wanted in a career.

Aren't you really young like early 20s? You have a long time to hopefully fix the problem and get rehired since you don't age out at 31.
I know I don't have control over this but I would like to not have to do the academy again since it costs them a lot of money, takes a long time, when all I really need is to fresh up on the 7110 and learn the new airspace. Every weekend I look over it just to try and not data dump too much, granted I have no idea when (or if) I can try again.

26 in March. I am following doctors orders and apparently in a year or two it could fix itself but it could also never go away. Time will tell but I miss it man, it was everything I wanted in a career.

Mind sharing in more detail what the heart issue is?

Mind sharing in more detail what the heart issue is?
So it's a heart murmur that's not innocent but not life threatening. I have some constriction on the side of my heart pumping away from the heart and into the body. My numbers fall just below what I need, the FAA allows a certain amount of wiggle room on it but I'm not within it. He said it's like a kink in a hose that can eventually correct itself through exercise and diet so that's what I'm doing.

Are you sure about that? The way I read the DOC on it is that you have to have 52 weeks as a CPC in order to be eligible for CPC reinstatement, is that not correct?

I know I don't have control over this but I would like to not have to do the academy again since it costs them a lot of money, takes a long time, when all I really need is to fresh up on the 7110 and learn the new airspace. Every weekend I look over it just to try and not data dump too much, granted I have no idea when (or if) I can try again.
You would have to go to the academy again but like I said you don't age out at 31 I believe since you were hired before then. I'm not sure if the probationary period has anything to do with that.

Speculation and interpretation on our part is not going to help at all. Truthfully you should be talking to HR, or better yet get in with an ATM at a level 5 or 4, since you have passed the academy prior to resignation there should be an ability to hire at the ATMs discretion. Don't stake it on us, ask the people who have the power.

So, you wouldn't be able to apply under any sort of reinstatement, but you're not a new hire. You would be classified as a re-entrant.
Developmental Re-Entrants voluntarily separated for more than one (1) year or involuntarily separated, Basic Pay shall be set at the AG pay band.

Developmental Re-Entrants voluntarily separated for less than one (1) year, Basic Pay shall be set at the minimum of the Developmental stage held prior to separation. If the same Developmental stage does not exist at the new facility, employee’s pay is set at the minimum of the lowest available Developmental stage above the AG level at the new facility
I can't look for the documentation now, but you wouldn't have to attend MMAC again.

Are you sure about that? The way I read the DOC on it is that you have to have 52 weeks as a CPC in order to be eligible for CPC reinstatement, is that not correct?
No. You have to complete the probation period and have been a CPC.

since you have passed the academy prior to resignation there should be an ability to hire at the ATMs discretion
No, see above. Reinstatement is a set of criteria defined by OPM and the hiring agency. It's not speculation or interpretation, it's documented policy.

So, you wouldn't be able to apply under any sort of reinstatement, but you're not a new hire. You would be classified as a re-entrant.
Developmental Re-Entrants voluntarily separated for more than one (1) year or involuntarily separated, Basic Pay shall be set at the AG pay band.

Developmental Re-Entrants voluntarily separated for less than one (1) year, Basic Pay shall be set at the minimum of the Developmental stage held prior to separation. If the same Developmental stage does not exist at the new facility, employee’s pay is set at the minimum of the lowest available Developmental stage above the AG level at the new facility
I can't look for the documentation now, but you wouldn't have to attend MMAC again.

No, see above. Reinstatement is a set of criteria defined by OPM and the hiring agency. It's not speculation or interpretation, it's documented policy.
Interesting. So he wouldn't qualify for experienced bids but could apply to OTS and not have to attend the academy.

Article 108 only addresses pay and academy attendance in regards to a re-entrant, crap get a hold of your old ATM and see if they'd push paperwork to HR and take you back.

Interesting interesting. Okay so, again I know this isn't happening like tomorrow if it does at all. Would I re apply to my old facility. Could I apply to the level 5 near my house? I wouldn't be in a rush to try and CPC and jump ship I wouldn't mind hanging out there for a few extra years if it could benefit both parties. And the AG pay part I figured as much.

Early 2012, person I know attended the Academy for tower, was sent to a level 9 tower. Did not make it a year, and was terminated...I don't think person was even ground certified. 2017 I see the same name in a facebook group and was going to be in tower basics at the academy.
I started looking into it, because I was surprised person was rehired and attending the academy again. Academy people said this person was still in job jeopardy status, and needed to pass. Passed without any issues and had good scores and went to a different tower (standard academy placement process), pretty sure the person was making the same pay everyone else was....wasn't AG until reaching the facility.

Back
Top Bottom