Earthquake on position

semperfly

Been having a little debate with a few guys about your obligations during an earthquake. There's been different scenarios thrown around... small quakes you stay, big ones you leave, or you're only at fault if you forget the portable. Like other theoretical situations, everyone feels like they have the right answer based on .65 & facility manuals, etc.

Anyone have any insight? Are you at fault if you run out of the facility during an earthquake or other natural disaster and something happens to an aircraft unrelated to the natural disaster? (example: didn't separate properly & a collision occurs, or forgets wheels & crashes)

Been having a little debate with a few guys about your obligations during an earthquake. There's been different scenarios thrown around... small quakes you stay, big ones you leave, or you're only at fault if you forget the portable. Like other theoretical situations, everyone feels like they have the right answer based on .65 & facility manuals, etc.

Anyone have any insight? Are you at fault if you run out of the facility during an earthquake or other natural disaster and something happens to an aircraft unrelated to the natural disaster? (example: didn't separate properly & a collision occurs, or forgets wheels & crashes)
Just watch Pushing Tin again, it seems like you have seen it a lot. You can evacuate and become the female cat of your facility the rest of your career, or man up, stay in, and do your job. If a earthquake hit so hard that it brought a tower or facility down, you would be dead if you stayed in or tried to run anyway.

There was an earthquake several years ago in Virginia while I was working at PCT. I remember the whole building shaking and the giant overhead display looking like it was going to fall on my head. Once we figured out it was an earthquake I broke out a BAW and a few other aircraft and out them in holding until a runway sweep at IAD could be conducted. Nobody evacuated at PCT, DCA, BWI, RIC, ZDC or any other ATC facility as far as I know.

AW

I was actually working at WRI tower during the earthquake that hit DC. Being in an extremely shitty built USAF tower, we chose to evacuate when the DBRITEs started clanking like they were about to fall. Lol. We had a couple of KC10s in the pattern that chose to just land. I was working LC coordinator, only LC (to land the planes) and the sup (to call the adjacent facs) stayed in cab everyone else piled down the stairs to evac. Crazy to believe that a quake in DC would affect central NJ but we had bricks crack and part of a few fell off the exterior. Sketchy.

Lmao that's the spirit. Go down with the ship, I say. No employer I'd rather die for than the one that gives out procs during a save situation for improper phraseology.

I had a save the other day and told the CIC not to say shit to management for just this reason. I don't care anymore, I don't want anyone listening to my tapes more than absolutely needed.

I had a save the other day and told the CIC not to say shit to management for just this reason. I don't care anymore, I don't want anyone listening to my tapes more than absolutely needed.
Yeah, there was a guy here that talked a helicopter down during an engine failure in hard IFR and ended up getting proc'd for not using his callsign in every transmission. Keep drinking that Kool Aid ya fucks.

Run screaming and light the fac on ? on the way out.

It's an earthquake. Had one on position once, decided we weren't dying and transmitted as able.

Do not be a martyr! Evacuate, get 45 days off, then FERs retirement. Live happily ever after and with a healthy heart that wont quit at 60 because they called you a pu*&y for not doing double quick turns and all sorts of other deathtrap ironman schedules. Or being an idiot working during an earthquake. Move somewhere with a lot of blue and green spaces for peace and clarity and take up kayaking and gardening. #BestJobinTheWorld

giphy.gif

Ok so I guess a lot of you want to ego flex here. The question wasn't if you're a pussy or not. It was about the actual rules and if you're responsible for an incident if it occurs by you not being on position. Earthquake or anything else.
Just listen to the ANC tape. It was a 7.0 earthquake and they had multiple heavies on final.

Back
Top Bottom