Experieneced bid

Dad

Do we know anything about when the next prior experience bid is going to be? Should military members even bother applying to them if they are farther than 120 days out?

Do we know anything about when the next prior experience bid is going to be? Should military members even bother applying to them if they are farther than 120 days out?

If you're more than 120 days out you are ineligible. You either won't be selected, or they'll screw up and select you, only to tell you later they screwed up and never mind. (Happened to my buddy, they took his TOL away even though he was out of the AF by then)

I know plenty of active duty controllers who have gotten TOL's being way more than 120 days out. That rule isn't set in stone like many believe. They have held jobs for 3-4 years in some cases.

I know plenty of active duty controllers who have gotten TOL's being way more than 120 days out. That rule isn't set in stone like many believe. They have held jobs for 3-4 years in some cases.
Its super rare these days as the rule went into effect last year. Most times if you can't provide proof you will separate in the 120 ish days, you get denied.

Its super rare these days as the rule went into effect last year. Most times if you can't provide proof you will separate in the 120 ish days, you get denied.
Well I got invited to take the ATSA so maybe they don’t really give a shit

To add further detail, like Omm said, this all changed starting with the 2016 bid. That's when H.R. 636 went into effect. Contained in H.R. 636 is this language...

(II) <<NOTE: Deadline.>> are
eligible for a veterans recruitment
appointment pursuant to section 4214 of
title 38 and provide a Certificate of
Release or Discharge from Active Duty
within 120 days of the announcement
closing;

Since the complete hiring changes of 2014, the FAA has been getting sued...repeatedly. FOIA requests to further justify pending class action lawsuits have been prevalent. Long story short, the FAA is breaking the law if they hire you outside of 120 days, which makes them susceptible to further lawsuits. The FAA will check and recheck your application through each stage of the process. Like DankVectorz mentioned, even going as far as the rescinding of TOL's.

Ways around this...

OTS bid - the 120 days only applies to if you are claiming veterans preference. You can still apply via pool 2 if you are outside of 120 days

For the lucky ones - If you are outside of the 120 days and you continue to fall through the cracks in the hiring process, my best advice to you is to not tell anyone until you are sworn in and officially become an FAA employee. Up until that day, if FAA HR becomes aware of their error, they are legally obligated to rescind your TOL/FOL.

Last edited:
I never claimed veterans preference. Applied as some random with a CTO pool 2. I figured that I wouldn’t say anything until I got my FOL. Figure if I got that far, the date would be after separation and they wouldn’t be the wiser anyway.
To add further detail, like Omm said, this all changed starting with the 2016 bid. That's when H.R. 636 went into effect. Contained in H.R. 636 is this language...

(II) <<NOTE: Deadline.>> are
eligible for a veterans recruitment
appointment pursuant to section 4214 of
title 38 and provide a Certificate of
Release or Discharge from Active Duty
within 120 days of the announcement
closing;

Since the complete hiring changes of 2014, the FAA has been getting sued...repeatedly. FOIA requests to further justify pending class action lawsuits have been prevalent. Long story short, the FAA is breaking the law if they hire you outside of 120 days, which makes them susceptible to further lawsuits. The FAA will check and recheck your application through each stage of the process. Like DankVectorz mentioned, even going as far as the rescinding of TOL's.

Ways around this...

OTS bid - the 120 days only applies to if you are claiming veterans preference. You can still apply via pool 2 if you are outside of 120 days

For the lucky ones - If you are outside of the 120 days and you continue to fall through the cracks in the hiring process, my best advice to you is to not tell anyone until you are sworn in and officially become an FAA employee. Up until that day, if FAA HR becomes aware of their error, they are legally obligated to rescind your TOL/FOL.
never cla

Ways around this...

I guess I never really looked at the OTS bids. I will have to check out if the next one says 120 days out for AD. If not...SWEEETT

Back
Top Bottom