FAM Flight Status

Here is a "real" update on FAM flights, not just the "it's coming back soon and will be better than ever" lie.

Apparently the CAS system is totally different now, and the process to get controllers in will need to redone from scratch. A lead FAA guy told one of our managers that the FAA and NATCA are discussing it, but they are in the early stages and have not hired a "contractor" yet to design the access to get controllers into the new CAS system. Why they need a contractor to do that is beyond me, but it's the FAA (and NATCA) so who knows. So it seems like it is being discussed but not anywhere close to being complete and implemented, it sounds like 2-3 years from now at a minimum.

Here is a "real" update on FAM flights, not just the "it's coming back soon and will be better than ever" lie.

Apparently the CAS system is totally different now, and the process to get controllers in will need to redone from scratch. A lead FAA guy told one of our managers that the FAA and NATCA are discussing it, but they are in the early stages and have not hired a "contractor" yet to design the access to get controllers into the new CAS system. Why they need a contractor to do that is beyond me, but it's the FAA (and NATCA) so who knows. So it seems like it is being discussed but not anywhere close to being complete and implemented, it sounds like 2-3 years from now at a minimum.
Bah Gawd it's another Article 114 for the Seattle District.

I wouldn’t hold your breath, anyone.
With the obvious disclaimer that the FAA lacks logic, it'd be illogical to eliminate FDT as a result of this if they're not going to eliminate Off-Duty jumpseat privileges first. And if you think the pilots unions will sit idly by while they eliminate that, you best think again.

I had heard rumor last year that negotiations were back in progress to return FDT and potentially better than it was. Anyone in here close to that situation that can enlighten the rest of us? Its a perk I'd really like to see return, and COVID is no longer an excuse.

I had heard rumor last year that negotiations were back in progress to return FDT and potentially better than it was. Anyone in here close to that situation that can enlighten the rest of us? Its a perk I'd really like to see return, and COVID is no longer an excuse.
I think you saw that in here, the better then before quote was memorable and pants shitting funny. Current situation is that the CASS system or whatever it was called has been completely changed since we had FDT. So I was told that they need to not just renegotiate it, but hire a contractor to create a way to get ATC into the cockpit access system.

I don’t know why it’s so complicated and why it needs a contractor to allegedly do it from scratch but that’s what I’ve been told by people who know.

So you can imagine how long it will take to negotiate a MOU since NATCA is not really in that business anymore, and then the time to hire a tech firm to implement it.

Back
Top Bottom