Foreign ATC experience

same reason a doctor in a foreign country isn't automatically a doctor in the US. they don't know the standards or regulations of the foreign ATC and cannot verify the information as easy either, making it easy to fake having experience.
just what i think... but i have no clue what the hell im talking about, and i think they should accept foreign experience, especially if it was through a US company contracting like midwest or serco and the like.

We could give you a better answer if you gave us locations, CTO's, etc.

I worked at an International airport in Austria, have more than 3 years tower and approach with radar experience. Still have my old atc license which expired end of 2015. The FAA basically said it's worth nothing.

Seems the same in reverse too, I've looked at a few countries and none I saw honor CTO certs from the FAA to get hired.

Seems the same in reverse too, I've looked at a few countries and none I saw honor CTO certs from the FAA to get hired.

Oh I'm pretty sure that if you've been an air traffic controller with the FAA and are a citizen of an EU country, they'll accept your experience.

Ye
yeah I looked into Canada and they had crazy citizen requirements and said nothing about FAA certs

Ye

yeah I looked into Canada and they had crazy citizen requirements and said nothing about FAA certs

Well before I moved to the US, I had contacted NavCanada as well. They straight up told me that they don't accept any foreign experience. However, the FAA told me that one of the main requirements is to be an US citizen and everything else will be handled on a case to case basis. But after I applied to the most recent experience bid, they pretty much told me that my experience is worth nothing cause it's foreign...

You can view it in one of two ways, they don't accept foreign experience or you don't possess the minimum qualifications to be considered for a prior experience bid. On the bid they state minimum qualifications as...
  • a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) air traffic control facility; OR
  • a civilian or military air traffic control facility of the Department of Defense; OR
  • a tower operating under contract with the FAA under section 47124
Given what you posted above, you don't qualify for the bid. With prior experience new hires going direct to a facility, individual facilities are not set up to train and educate the basic nuances of FAA vs ICAO procedures like the academy is. As a US citizen you are still eligible for the all source bids and would go to the academy for basics. Did you apply to the last All Source bid in July?

Last edited:
You can view it in one of two ways, they don't accept foreign experience or you don't possess the minimum qualifications to be considered for a prior experience bid. On the bid they state minimum qualifications as...
  • a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) air traffic control facility; OR
  • a civilian or military air traffic control facility of the Department of Defense; OR
  • a tower operating under contract with the FAA under section 47124
Given what you posted above, you don't qualify for the bid. With prior experience new hires going direct to a facility, individual facilities are not set up to train and educate the basic nuances of FAA vs ICAO procedures like the academy is. As a US citizen you are still eligible for the all source bids and would go to the academy for basics. Did you apply to the last All Source bid in July?

Yes, I applied to the OTS bid, just hoped for the experienced route. However, I heard that for example the current experienced bid for New York Tracon, requires everyone to go through training in OKC again anyway. It's pretty much impossible to get an accurate statement by the FAA.

Yes, I applied to the OTS bid, just hoped for the experienced route. However, I heard that for example the current experienced bid for New York Tracon, requires everyone to go through training in OKC again anyway. It's pretty much impossible to get an accurate statement by the FAA.
The N90 bid is unique in the fact it's not your typical academy experience. You have to be ready from day one. There is no basics.
RTF is only 4 weeks from start to finish and is pass/fail.
If you pass, you then move on to TSEW (Terminal Radar Approach Control Skill Enhancement Workshop) then an N90 specific class.
In terms of the all source bid, are you a prior veteran (Pool 1) or did you have to apply via Pool 2 and are waiting to see if you passed the biographical assessment?

The N90 bid is unique in the fact it's not your typical academy experience. You have to be ready from day one. There is no basics.
RTF is only 4 weeks from start to finish and is pass/fail.
If you pass, you then move on to TSEW (Terminal Radar Approach Control Skill Enhancement Workshop) then an N90 specific class.
In terms of the all source bid, are you a prior veteran (Pool 1) or did you have to apply via Pool 2 and are waiting to see if you passed the biographical assessment?

Oh ok. I'm not a veteran and had to apply via pool 2. Seems like the whole OTS process takes forever and the chances of getting hired are relatively low, regardless of any experience.

Back
Top Bottom