FSS jobs in Alaska

Got an FOL today. Start virtual basics on Jan. 11th-Feb 5th. Then Kenai on Feb 22nd, and Juneau after that. I could've skipped basics but I wanted to get my clock ticking asap.

Anyone know how long Kenai academy is, excluding Basics? Can we keep the remaining per diem? A year and a half ago, okc stopped letting new hires keep remaining per diem.

Last edited:
Got an FOL today. Start virtual basics on Jan. 11th-Feb 5th. Then Kenai on Feb 22nd, and Juneau after that. I could've skipped basics but I wanted to get my clock ticking asap.

Anyone know how long Kenai academy is, excluding Basics? Can we keep the remaining per diem? A year and a half ago, okc stopped letting new hires keep remaining per diem.
According to the class schedule I got, the training at Kenai is a maximum of 9 weeks. As for Per Diem, I believe you keep it. This is a much smaller operation than ATC is, and lodging is far more expensive than in OKC.

Same boat, and I'll be in the same classes. How were you getting up to AK? I'm probably taking the AlCan highway up but it's gonna be treacherous in February lol

Same boat, and I'll be in the same classes. How were you getting up to AK? I'm probably taking the AlCan highway up but it's gonna be treacherous in February lol
I'm flying. I did the drive in 2011, when I went to school there. Not a fan. Plus I got a pos that probably won't make it.

According to the class schedule I got, the training at Kenai is a maximum of 9 weeks. As for Per Diem, I believe you keep it. This is a much smaller operation than ATC is, and lodging is far more expensive than in OKC.
Makes sense. Plus okc deals with housing operations directly, that are targeted to FAA employees. I doubt Kenai has that.

Does anyone know the number to contact AFSS? I got "Well Qualified" on the AT-SA and just wanna check... last-ditch hope on this year's bid. :/

Just starting to look into the possibility of FSS. Anyone have any idea when bid for FSS will be open next? Is it just posted on the usajobs page like atc?

Just starting to look into the possibility of FSS. Anyone have any idea when bid for FSS will be open next? Is it just posted on the usajobs page like atc?
No idea on timing because everything is all weird now, but last bid was just like ATC, posted on USAJOBS and all. I believe the first post on here has the actual job description

How long is it taking for medical to come back and be approved? I turned in the last set of documents they asked for about a month ago and have not heard back. I wasn't sure how long it normally takes to approve.

How long did it take for you to hear back that everything was cleared? I'm on a TOL but haven't heard back on medical being finished.
You can reach out to your medical POC and inquire about it. I believe we all have the same one (LS). She will say that their office is slammed with COVID so there will be delays.

Hi Derek! I’m going to be in the Kenai 5/3 course as well!
Check your PM

How long is it taking for medical to come back and be approved? I turned in the last set of documents they asked for about a month ago and have not heard back. I wasn't sure how long it normally takes to approve.
I'm waiting on mine, too...but I just finished everything last week, so I guess I'm in for a wait. What facility will you be going to after academy? Kenai, here. :)

Back
Top Bottom