FSS jobs in Alaska

According to the class schedule I got, the training at Kenai is a maximum of 9 weeks. As for Per Diem, I believe you keep it. This is a much smaller operation than ATC is, and lodging is far more expensive than in OKC.
So the FSS training at the academy in Kenai, AK is only 9 weeks long once you’ve passed ATC Basics in OKC?

Sorry
So the FSS training at the academy in Kenai, AK is only 9 weeks long once you’ve passed ATC Basics in OKC?
Sorry for the delay; didn't have notifications on. Turns out I was wrong about the dates. The one on May 3 ends on August 27th, so looks like 16 weeks.

Can someone who works/has worked at Kenai FSS give a rundown of the normal shift times/schedule for those who are checked out? Also, any tips on finding housing for a family and best areas to live in at Kenai? Thanks in advance.

Can someone who works/has worked at Kenai FSS give a rundown of the normal shift times/schedule for those who are checked out? Also, any tips on finding housing for a family and best areas to live in at Kenai? Thanks in advance.
Best advice I can give you for housing would be to join the Kenai & Soldotna home and apartment rental fb group, or go through a realtor. Has for the scheduling, Once you first get on the floor after the academy you shadow your trainers schedule, so whenever they work, you work and once you get fully checked out, you bid on lines based on seniority.

Best advice I can give you for housing would be to join the Kenai & Soldotna home and apartment rental fb group, or go through a realtor. Has for the scheduling, Once you first get on the floor after the academy you shadow your trainers schedule, so whenever they work, you work and once you get fully checked out, you bid on lines based on seniority.
Alright, thanks so much. Do you know what type of shift rotation they normally run (i.e., is it 2 swings, 2 days & a mid or something different)?

Last edited:
Alright, thanks so much. Do you know what type of shift rotation they normally run (i.e., is it 2 swings, 2 days & a mid or something different)?
Scheduling is all over the place but when you bid it's going to be a set schedule. For instance mon-thurs 1pm-11pm or mon-fri 6am-2pm. Your schedule is just going to come down to what's left after every one else in front of you got their pick.

Scheduling is all over the place but when you bid it's going to be a set schedule. For instance mon-thurs 1pm-11pm or mon-fri 6am-2pm. Your schedule is just going to come down to what's left after every one else in front of you got their pick.
A set schedule sounds awesome...thanks for the information. :)

Back
Top Bottom