Hardship Timeline...Anyone know?

Lump88

Lurker
I just submitted a hardship...I would say it'll 99% get approved, but I have no idea how long to expect. Anyone know how long it will be? Have you done it or know someone who has done it? Time from submission to out the door, on the road. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I submitted mine about mid June and still waiting for any kind of answer. From what I've heard the process has changed and suppose to be faster, but I'm still waiting for mine. I'm in the Great Lakes region.

Timelines vary wildly from case to case and region to region. I've seen some take under 2 months, others a year. The severity of your hardship, current staffing percentages, etc all factor in.

I submitted today and they approved it at thew local level. Should be out the building tomorrow if it already hasn't left already. (breakaway2000, it is time sensitive with high severity, and I'm leaving a facility that needs staff, but requesting a facility that has a higher need). Hopefully things move quickly. Thanks for the info!

Did you escalate it? Local's job is to determine if it fits into the 3 available hardship categories, not to be judge, jury, and executioner.
Accumulating more medical docs. They more accurately advised that it would be denied at current state and to get more docs. I figured 6+ months worth would be enough but I don't mind getting more

Hopefully you have enough documentation. Even with medical records and a doctors note, mine got denied at the local level.
Fight that. It's not their place to say if it will get approved or whatever bs they're telling you. The facility has one responsibility: does it fit into one of the categories. Yes or no.

I am not sure where (mou, contract, hr doc) but I believe there is a pretty strict timeline that needs to be followed. My coworker that got approved for hardship and left to a very highly staffed place breifly talked about it. Said something along the lines of local has like 7 business days to make sure it is valid, then the natca region hardship person looks at it, followed by the hardship people for the FAA who make the final call. Then if it is approved they look at gaining facility, staffing, etc... I believe if it is a valid reason but it can not be granted due to outside factors such as staffing then it must be looked at every 6 months until it reaches final approval. These are just estimates of numbers but that was the gist of what he went through. It should be pretty straightforward on the moving up the channel part as everyone in the process has a certain amount of business days to make a determination. That was about 3 months ago so maybe things have changed since then

Last edited:
I am not sure where (mou, contract, hr doc) but I believe there is a pretty strict timeline that needs to be followed. My coworker that got approved for hardship and left breifly talked about it. Said something along the lines of local has like 7 business days to make sure it is valid, then the natca region hardship person looks at it, followed by the hardship people for the FAA who make the final call. Then if it is approved they look at gaining facility, staffing, etc... I believe if it is a valid reason but it can not be granted due to outside factors such as staffing then it must be looked at every 6 months until it reaches final approval. These are just estimates of numbers but that was the gist of what he went through. It should be pretty straightforward on the moving up the channel part as everyone in the process has a certain amount of business days to make a determination. That was about 3 months ago so maybe things have changed since then
OK thanks, I guess its already up to regional, moving fast.

OK thanks, I guess its already up to regional, moving fast.

Side note he went to a facility something like 30 miles from where his family member is and was given two facilities to choose from that met the within 3 levels and any applicable distance requirements. Both facilities were at or above the national average. He of course chose the highest level one of which had a staffing level projected well above the national averages.

Yeah, I was well versed already on A99, they said it's a good start but would be tough to get approved with current docs at the region
If the region wants more documentation they will ask for it. If they deny it you can ask why and resubmit. It is not the place of the the ATM and FACREP to make any decision except if it is in one of the criteria.

Just an update...Submitted on 07/17/2017 and as of 07/24/2017 (seven days) it has gone from local level to district, to region...and now is in the hands of the receiving region, and I believe today its made it down to receiving district.

It's a joint panel. Theoretically, NATCA should be trying to get it approved.

Submitted mine 3 weeks ago exactly, it got approved and I got my list of available places this past Friday, 19 days total. Just gotta present the right documents

Back
Top Bottom