Headquarters Position Benefits

Kappa468

I vaguely remember seeing something somewhere about the benefits of taking a headquarters position. I really don’t recall, but isn’t there something that says if you work at headquarters for a year or so you can transfer wherever or maintain your good time or something like that? Basically I’m asking what is the benefit for these people that take a headquarters position other than to dodge traffic?

I vaguely remember seeing something somewhere about the benefits of taking a headquarters position. I really don’t recall, but isn’t there something that says if you work at headquarters for a year or so you can transfer wherever or maintain your good time or something like that? Basically I’m asking what is the benefit for these people that take a headquarters position other than to dodge traffic?
To my knowledge, no one keeps good time at HQ. You can use HQ experience to qualify for other "specialized experience" on certain bids. Most of the people I know that work at HQ do it for the quality of life balance, though there are exceptions as certain HQ elements are mission essential (think like CITE Watch). It honestly varies all across the board.

Certain HQ job announcements already have someone in mind by the time they are posted. The most obvious telltale sign is if they have PCS move money (going rate I think is 27,000$.

I vaguely remember seeing something somewhere about the benefits of taking a headquarters position. I really don’t recall, but isn’t there something that says if you work at headquarters for a year or so you can transfer wherever or maintain your good time or something like that? Basically I’m asking what is the benefit for these people that take a headquarters position other than to dodge traffic?w

To my knowledge, no one keeps good time at HQ. You can use HQ experience to qualify for other "specialized experience" on certain bids. Most of the people I know that work at HQ do it for the quality of life balance, though there are exceptions as certain HQ elements are mission essential (think like CITE Watch). It honestly varies all across the board.
Also, people make it seem so easy to just "get a HQ job". It's not as easy as you may think. Every dude who loses his medical gets put to the top of the list. Pair that with controllers who are aging out and the good ol' boy system- it's no cake walk to stumble into a HQ position.

Also, people make it seem so easy to just "get a HQ job". It's not as easy as you may think. Every dude who loses his medical gets put to the top of the list. Pair that with controllers who are aging out and the good ol' boy system- it's no cake walk to stumble into a HQ position.
To piggy back off this, yes almost always, but again there are exceptions and I just got lucky.

There are also some ROC jobs: Operations Officer

Last edited:
After thinking about it more, the question is more about career progression/enhancement and the benefits that come along with that. From what I understand, doing a year at HQ will give you career progression. Now what are the benefits associated with that? I believe you get save pay for life if you went back to the field? Any other benefits/thoughts?

After thinking about it more, the question is more about career progression/enhancement and the benefits that come along with that. From what I understand, doing a year at HQ will give you career progression. Now what are the benefits associated with that? I believe you get save pay for life if you went back to the field? Any other benefits/thoughts?
You definetly do not get save pay for life - I don't know where people get this stuff.

A lot of people have used it to circumvent the NCEPT world.

As far as a resume builder, if management is your thing it looks good.

You definetly do not get save pay for life - I don't know where people get this stuff.

A lot of people have used it to circumvent the NCEPT world.

There are more than management positions, some that are "golden gooses" but again, competition usually comes from managers or supervisors.

To add on, it may be a way to expedite a path to MSS-3/4 positions if you don’t have the traditional supervisory background.

One’s not likely to get picked up with that alone I’d surmise, but technically 52 weeks as FAA 2152 FG-14/FV-J or above regional or headquarters position qualifies you to bid those jobs generally unless the hiring authority adds on additional requirements.

Last edited:
The level of people they check out now is unreal. I've had more than one trainee who wasn't ready checked out on my RDOs without my recommendation documented.

You don't even need a majority. OS can do it without any reccomendations if he's a total shitbag.
You can’t anymore in the new training order. But idk what they’d do if the sup just certified someone. If they’d actually decertify them.

You can’t anymore in the new training order. But idk what they’d do if the sup just certified someone. If they’d actually decertify them.
Isn't it if 50% of the team recommends? So 4 on a team & the supe recommends, technically if the trainee recommends themselves too then they could do a cert ride without the trainers knowing.

Still would be a shitty thing to do but it's possible

We just had it happen. New supe from a low level couldn’t hack it. Multiple deals that same week. No recommends from any of the 3 trainers. The person got certified cuz it was pushed by higher ups. Even the supervisor doing the check ride wasn’t happy about it.

Isn't it if 50% of the team recommends?
Nope.
3120.4R said:
8. Certification Skill Check. A CSC is an evaluation to determine if a trainee demonstrates the knowledge and skill level necessary to certify on a position.
a. The CSC must:
(1) Be conducted following a Training Team meeting where a majority of the team members recommend a CSC. The OS must be among the majority.

"Majority" means >50%. If there are two OJTIs plus the sup plus the trainee that means you need a minimum of three recommends. If there are three OJTIs you need four recommends.

Now as inquirer said I don't know if there's any recourse for the sup not following the 3120.4...

Actually hang on, reading this again I'm remembering past debates on the topic. I think that the intent of 8a(1) is what I said above, the CSC cannot be conducted until the majority of the team has recommended. But then you look at 8a(2) and 8a(3) and so on, and I don't think that we're trying to argue you cannot conduct a CSC until you reach 100% target time. Those bullet points are saying that (regardless of recommends) you MUST conduct a CSC upon reaching 100% hours. So if you're being consistent then you would say that 8a(1) is telling you that you MUST conduct a CSC after a training team meeting where a majority recommends. It isn't saying that you have to wait for that to happen.

At least that's what I would argue if I was the sup who checked someone out against OJTI recommendation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom