Help with becoming an ATC

EchoMikeHotel

Lurker
Hey guys I am 1 new to pointsixtyfive and 2 trying to become a ATC and I am dead set to go the civilian rout is there any information anyone could give me to help me out. I want to become a ATC as soon as possible and be as efficient with my time as possible at this point in time I am 20 with 3 yeas of work experience . I have talked to a few people in person about 3 years ago and learned about the yearly bid that happens each year as well as my father has also told me about possibly getting a sponsorship but he does not know much about how it works'. I have looked in to some Test Prep from JobTeastPrep as I seen a video that lead me here to see a few people said it might be a good idea to take. if anyone could elaborate on how sponsorships work and give me some advice on the best way to become a ATC through the civilian route I would be very grateful.

Last edited:
Hey guys I am 1 new to pointsixtyfive and 2 trying to become a ATC and I am dead set to go the civilian rout is there any information anyone could give me to help me out. I want to become a ATC as soon as possible and be as efficient with my time as possible at this point in time I am 20 with 3 yeas of work experience . I have talked to a few people in person about 3 years ago and learned about the yearly bid that happens each year as well as my father has also told me about possibly getting a sponsorship but he does not know much about how it works'. I have looked in to some Test Prep from JobTeastPrep as I seen a video that lead me here to see a few people said it might be a good idea to take. if anyone could elaborate on how sponsorships work and give me some advice on the best way to become a ATC through the civilian route I would be very grateful.
What country are you in

First, change your username away from your real name, second click on the button that says FAQ at the top or the link below: Hiring

I always tell people on Reddit to become atc when they ask about what job they can do without a degree and people always just respond and say you need a degree and you’ll fail the interview and all this made up stuff
That’s really bizarre because Reddit is a legitimate source of news.

To be fair though, don’t they do interviews for ATC in Canada?

First, change your username away from your real name, second click on the button that says FAQ at the top or the link below: Hiring
thank you for sending me to the FAQ section I did not see there was a place to find out more information about hiring so thank you so much I appreciate your help. I need all the help I can get and will take all that I can because it sounds like its just random who the FAA picks and choses.

Sponsorship for what?

I think the requirements were 3 or 4 years of progressive work experience, 4 year degree, or combination of both. The OTS bid normally comes out once a year during summer. The way they choose you is based on how well you score on the ATSA and it's a crap shoot if I'm going to be honest.

I would suggest you go to the military for atc for 4 years, then get out and try to get in through prior experience. If you don't want to do that, then the next thing I suggest is to make ATC be your plan B, not your plan A. Figure something else out while you hurry up and wait for the FAA. I first started applying summer of 2018, then applied again summer 2019, then got onboarded summer 2020 but was delayed bc of COVID and finally started training at my facility Summer of 2021. 3 whole years until I even set foot in my facility.

Not sure if you still live in your home state or not either but the govt will most likely place you where you don't want to be, or the furthest state from your home state. The transfer system sucks rn and many facilities are understaffed. And don't ever go for Alaska FSS thinking you will get to transfer out to become a controller. It doesn't work like that and it may never will.

Am I eligible? Applicants must:​

• Be a U.S. citizen
  • Be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (Required for males born after 12/31/1959)
  • Be younger than 31 years old before the closing date of the application period (with limited exceptions)
  • Have either three years of general work experience or four years of education leading to a bachelor’s degree, or a combination of both
  • Speak English clearly enough to be understood over communications equipment
  • Be willing to relocate to an FAA facility based on agency staffing needs
The application process can take 6 months or longer. Applicants must complete these steps in the following order and cannot continue unless the previous step is met:

1. Meet the basic qualifications mentioned above.
  2. Pass the Air Traffic Skills Assessment (ATSA) and achieve a score within a certain percentile. You will have up to 3 1/2 hours to complete the test in person at an approved testing facility.
  3. Pass medical and security clearance, including:
    • Drug testing
    • Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI2)
    • Class II Medical Exam/Physical
    • Fingerprinting
    • Federal background check
    • I’ve read everything above. I’m eligible. I’m ready to apply. What now?

1. Interested applicants should visit www.usajobs.gov to build their application profile.
      2. Collect the following documents. You will need to upload these on USAJobs when you apply:
        • All applicants: Resume
        • I’m applying based on education: Copy of official/unofficial transcripts.
        • I’m applying based on a Collegiate Training Initiative (CTI): Copy of official/unofficial transcripts and recommendation letter or endorsement certifying they have met the CTI requirements.
        • I’m applying based on previous experience as a federal employee: Copy of a Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) that verifies original appointment and any ATC certifications/ratings.
        • I’m claiming veterans’ preference: Submit either a DD Form 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty or a document from the armed forces certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service under honorable conditions within 120 days.
          • If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must also submit a completed SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran’s Preference, and supporting outlines in the SF-15.

Back
Top Bottom