Help with becoming an ATC

EchoMikeHotel

Lurker
Hey guys I am 1 new to pointsixtyfive and 2 trying to become a ATC and I am dead set to go the civilian rout is there any information anyone could give me to help me out. I want to become a ATC as soon as possible and be as efficient with my time as possible at this point in time I am 20 with 3 yeas of work experience . I have talked to a few people in person about 3 years ago and learned about the yearly bid that happens each year as well as my father has also told me about possibly getting a sponsorship but he does not know much about how it works'. I have looked in to some Test Prep from JobTeastPrep as I seen a video that lead me here to see a few people said it might be a good idea to take. if anyone could elaborate on how sponsorships work and give me some advice on the best way to become a ATC through the civilian route I would be very grateful.

Last edited:
Hey guys I am 1 new to pointsixtyfive and 2 trying to become a ATC and I am dead set to go the civilian rout is there any information anyone could give me to help me out. I want to become a ATC as soon as possible and be as efficient with my time as possible at this point in time I am 20 with 3 yeas of work experience . I have talked to a few people in person about 3 years ago and learned about the yearly bid that happens each year as well as my father has also told me about possibly getting a sponsorship but he does not know much about how it works'. I have looked in to some Test Prep from JobTeastPrep as I seen a video that lead me here to see a few people said it might be a good idea to take. if anyone could elaborate on how sponsorships work and give me some advice on the best way to become a ATC through the civilian route I would be very grateful.
did you happen to talk to or visit guys from Grissom ARB in indiana?

To be fair, I didn't even know job shadowing/internships were a thing in FAA ATC until last year... after being in for more than a decade. Not quite the same as a sponsorship, but maybe that's what OPs dad was confusing it with.

To be fair, I didn't even know job shadowing/internships were a thing in FAA ATC until last year... after being in for more than a decade. Not quite the same as a sponsorship, but maybe that's what OPs dad was confusing it with.
Boy, you got down syndrome or something?
Just trying to get help with becoming an ATC not sure why you would say I have down syndrome if there's a reason please let me know maybe you know something I don't

I'd click the "sign me up for latest updates" link and hope you get an e-mail when the 2024 general bid opens up.

The only other real option is going Air Force (maybe Navy) to get certified and applying to a prior experience bid when you get out. I doubt internships guarantee or even increase hiring chance into air traffic.

Sponsorship for what?

I think the requirements were 3 or 4 years of progressive work experience, 4 year degree, or combination of both. The OTS bid normally comes out once a year during summer. The way they choose you is based on how well you score on the ATSA and it's a crap shoot if I'm going to be honest.

I would suggest you go to the military for atc for 4 years, then get out and try to get in through prior experience. If you don't want to do that, then the next thing I suggest is to make ATC be your plan B, not your plan A. Figure something else out while you hurry up and wait for the FAA. I first started applying summer of 2018, then applied again summer 2019, then got onboarded summer 2020 but was delayed bc of COVID and finally started training at my facility Summer of 2021. 3 whole years until I even set foot in my facility.

Not sure if you still live in your home state or not either but the govt will most likely place you where you don't want to be, or the furthest state from your home state. The transfer system sucks rn and many facilities are understaffed. And don't ever go for Alaska FSS thinking you will get to transfer out to become a controller. It doesn't work like that and it may never will.
Hey thanks for all the info this helps a ton as the military is simply not an option for me.as for relocating I simply don't want to be in a super stuffed state like NY I prefer rural places in the south.

I'd click the "sign me up for latest updates" link and hope you get an e-mail when the 2024 general bid opens up.

The only other real option is going Air Force (maybe Navy) to get certified and applying to a prior experience bid when you get out. I doubt internships guarantee or even increase hiring chance into air traffic.
Is becoming an ATC really a crabshoot.from the comments of people it sounds like they need more people.

Is becoming an ATC really a crabshoot.from the comments of people it sounds like they need more people.
They need more people but yes it's a crapshoot. Ignore the rude people. Just check out reddit semi often they post when the new bids go live, sign up for the email notifications from USAJobs as well

Be very patient is the most common advice you'll hear. Get your resume concise and neat for when the next application comes around. you'll more than likely be waiting for more than a year at the time of your application so stay busy and try not to constantly worry about updates. During that period you can learn basic things such as atc structure/types of facilities. Towers, Tracons, Centers and the purpose of each. You'll have a better understanding of the operations this way. Good luck and 'hurry up and wait!'

Hey thanks for all the info this helps a ton as the military is simply not an option for me.as for relocating I simply don't want to be in a super stuffed state like NY I prefer rural places in the south.
You need to be willing to go anywhere in the country. The agency doesn't care where you want to go and doesn't ask you. IMO that is one of the biggest problems in the hiring process. So many people want to do this job, but not badly enough that they'll risk being placed on the opposite side of the country.

I did indeed talk to a few people at Grissom I was very lucky to get in to contact with someone who worked there and he was nice enough to help me out how he could and give me a tour of the place
haha funny enough that was me, glad you got some regular work experience so you can apply to the next OTS bid. It can be a slow process though so for sure try to keep your options open elsewhere and when the time comes to start with the FAA you can choose.

Dont go the ATC route. Union sucks 2k out of you a year, SPAMS your email stating they are working to give you more money just to be elected and blame political parties for stagnant pay only to find out your old warehouse job is now paying 130k and potential advancement along with college reimbursement in a town you actually want to live in. ATC made sense 15 years ago. Now its pay is on par with sub skill labor due to lack of industry raises due to the unions insufficiencies to represent members common concerns. But if working 6 day work weeks and constantly denied leave for each of your 3 kids birthdays and watching them through a scrambled connection while connected to NATCA WiFi while they open gifts on Christmas morning and tell you they don’t want gifts and all they want is to spend holidays with you then go ahead and apply. Soon ATC will be filled with a work force who are too stupid to find a job with equitable pay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom