How often do you see a controller, yourself or coworkers make mistakes while controlling traffic?

Just today I witnessed a controller give a guy the wrong frequency. He did immediately correct while the pilot was still on frequency, but the damage had been done. Sup came over and yanked out his plug, everybody laughed at him, and last I heard he died. Luckily I was there A-siding so I was basically able to take over with little help and ran the sector for about 30 minutes while they paged other controllers back.

There were at least 50 planeson freq but my knowledge of the LOA’s and frequencies (something you don’t even have to learn yet) let me take over with ease. They’ve already put in the papers to skip D-side and R-side, and got my time off award already.

I've literally never seen anyone make a mistake, ever. Nor have I personally seen safety compromised even once. I've heard horror stories of unreported mid airs that "they" cover up though. It should be investigated.

p.s. academythrow has your first ever post been answered now, an do you have enough to write your story?

Academythrow.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've literally never seen anyone make a mistake, ever. Nor have I personally seen safety compromised even once. I've heard horror stories of unreported mid airs that "they" cover up though. It should be investigated.

p.s. academythrow has your first ever post been answered now, an do you have enough to write your story?

View attachment 3320
My timing was poor in posting this question. Reason I posted it was I just got this job at TMZ and based on how bad my writing is, need to break a story for a quick promotion.

But in reality, was watching Air crash Investigations, specifically crash pertaining to Avianca 52 and was genuinely wondering how often those level of mistakes occur without loss of life.

My timing was poor in posting this question. Reason I posted it was I just got this job at TMZ and based on how bad my writing is, need to break a story for a quick promotion.

But in reality, was watching Air crash Investigations, specifically crash pertaining to Avianca 52 and was genuinely wondering how often those level of mistakes occur without loss of life.

The blame for that crash is mostly on the pilots.

Those shows are mostly garbage. Read the NTSB report.

The blame for that crash is mostly on the pilots.
At least one controller didn't inform the other that the plane was low on fuel but the responsibility was still on the pilots to declare an actual emergency earlier on. That's why I was asking my question, in every career there are mistakes, in some they are to be even expected. In ATC, the commonly held belief form the outside is, you can't get into this career if you're prone to be disorganized or make mistakes, was wondering how much of a myth that is.

Last edited:
At least one controller didn't inform the other that the plane was low on fuel but the responsibility was still on the pilots to declare an actual emergency earlier on. That's why I was asking my question, in every career there are mistakes, in some they are to be even expected. In ATC, the commonly held belief form the outside is, you can't get into this career if you're prone to be disorganized or make mistakes, was wondering how much of a myth that is.
it depends on your definition of mistake. if you want to classify every misspoken bit of phraseology, every time someone gives an old altimeter, yada yada as a mistake, then they happen all day all the time. if you're meaning, minor losses of separation, LOA violations, airspace violations, those are pretty common too but arent usually "serious" mistakes. if you mean nmac's and other oh shit moments, they happen. when there's millions of operations a year there's bound to be a proportionate amount of mistakes. it generally takes a lot to go wrong for something to be catastrophic.

Also, balancing the traffic between both safety and efficiency. The job isn't all about saving people, it's also heavily about making the system more efficient. Being that is has to be balanced we constantly play with the minimum requirements which increases losses and other safety issues, though that doesnt mean a controller also doesn't know how to get out of a hole they dug.

it depends on your definition of mistake. if you want to classify every misspoken bit of phraseology, every time someone gives an old altimeter, yada yada as a mistake, then they happen all day all the time. if you're meaning, minor losses of separation, LOA violations, airspace violations, those are pretty common too but arent usually "serious" mistakes. if you mean nmac's and other oh shit moments, they happen. when there's millions of operations a year there's bound to be a proportionate amount of mistakes. it generally takes a lot to go wrong for something to be catastrophic.
Minor loss of separation, LOA violations, etc. If you make them, can you get reprimanded or suspended?

Minor loss of separation, LOA violations, etc. If you make them, can you get reprimanded or suspended?
Every facility is different but like lots of things in most instances a first violation or two typically results in a slight reprimand but often times nothing at all. If you were going to get suspended for "minor" mistakes listed here there would have to be a significant pattern of the mistakes, and suspension or probation would only happen you were given "skill enhancement training" or a bunch of other remedies.

Do the industry a favor and don't answer questions like this. We work the most airplanes the most efficiently with the least number of incidents of any ATC system. Whilst being the shortest staffed. Those are facts. Any other answer you give can be taken out of context and twisted and put under an ugly light.

Maybe this guy means well, maybe not, but either way this is a public forum and someone with ill intentions can take anything and make it anything.

Normally no, because those are disciplinary actions and not performance actions. issue a bad clearance, get told you did it wrong. Clear people direct DILDO all day long, get suspended 3 days.

One time I showed up at the wrong airport, plugged in and started working "my sector", the whole picture rightfully went to shit in about 8 seconds as I was clearing people for approaches that weren't even in this state. My "supe for the day" asked me "who the F are you?!" to which I replied "who the f are YOU?!" I then filed a grievance for working conditions; as a result NATCA was able to transfer me to a higher level facility outside of NCEPT, I washed out and was NESTED back to the facility that I inadvertently worked for a day. When I walked through the door, they saw that I was a nest graduate so they made me a supe on the spot. Next week I'm submitting ATM paperwork and if I get it, I'm going to fire the supe that questioned me.
Bro that was so fucking funny

Normally no, because those are disciplinary actions and not performance actions. issue a bad clearance, get told you did it wrong. Clear people direct DILDO all day long, get suspended 3 days.

What about here?

What about here?

Once upon a time circa 2011...

Controller: "ACID uhhhh, where ru navigating to, I am showing your next fix is Charlie-West (HVQ), Hotel-Victor-Quebec"
Aircraft: "Negative, we are direct Dixon (DIW), Delta-India-Whiskey"
Controller: (not keyed up but loudly down the shitter) DIXON MY ASS!
ENtire room: HAHAHAHAHA!
Controller: ITS NOT FUNNY YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES! SOMEONE GET ME OUT I NEED SICK LEAVE I CANT TAKE THIS SHIT ANYMORE

p.s. safety was never compromised

Back
Top Bottom