How stressful is the academy?

Oh yeah, that’s it. Like everyone’s saying no need to study and stuff now. Honestly I didn’t do a damn thing before I got there. I just memorized the map in basics which I recommend. Other than that, they give you plenty of time for everything. Yes though, under airspace map, that is the exact map. You have to be able to draw that from memory... keep in mind the academy map is an absolute joke compared to when you get to your facility lol. Welcome to the long road!

Thanks for this! I won't try to memorize it, I'm just trying to get a head start on some of the terms on it. I have 0 idea what I'm looking at.

Another thing some people have done that has helped is asking your instructors to run one of your normal problems like they would the PA. You will need to be solid and not needing a lot of coaching, but it will give you an idea where you’re at and the things they will ding you on. They will just let you run he problem and critique at the end. (If you have cool instructors).

You have to be able to draw that from memory... keep in mind the academy map is an absolute joke compared to when you get to your facility lol

Truth. Here's an (extreme) example. N90 frontload map. You have 5 (7 including weekend) days to memorize and then test.

IMG_2963.JPG

When I was at the academy my wife got arrested back at home and was in jeopardy of being deported, but I made it. Later, I went through a divorce with her while in radar training, but I made it. It was all really hard, but I guess I did okay!

When I was at the academy my wife got arrested back at home and was in jeopardy of being deported, but I made it. Later, I went through a divorce with her while in radar training, but I made it. It was all really hard, but I guess I did okay!
You gotta stop coming to OKC (or getting married)

How far along are you?

We just started our NR labs this week. A little under half way through those, like I said the academy is difficult and I'm not discrediting anything at all because I haven't set foot in ERAM yet, I just thought non-radar would be much more difficult than it has been but everyone is different and I haven't run a problem in the teens/twenties yet so I'm expecting things to get much, MUCH more difficult.

We just started our NR labs this week. A little under half way through those, like I said the academy is difficult and I'm not discrediting anything at all because I haven't set foot in ERAM yet, I just thought non-radar would be much more difficult than it has been but everyone is different and I haven't run a problem in the teens/twenties yet so I'm expecting things to get much, MUCH more difficult.
Mid twenties were horrible. Your NR evals will be much easier than those

I appreciate the feedback!

Finishing up basics on Wednesday. Excited to start getting into the nitty gritty aspects of NR!

I took my NR evals last week. Ill try to share my observations without going into specifics. 1st of all, I didn't see anything new on the evals. one of my classmates had a situation that we hadn't seen before, but it was a fairly minor problem. the problems arent overly complex. any specific situations that we learned during the practice problems are fair game, but overall, both of my scenarios were relatively easy. the difference between the evals and, say problems 20-27 is time. where you normally have a ton of overflights to distract you from issuing clearances and coordinating, now you pretty much only have the aircraft that need specific actions. departures, arrivals, en route conflicts, etc. I felt like I had a TON of down time.

I didn't do as well as I wanted to, but I don't attribute that to complexity or a sneaky problem. I just made stupid mistakes. stuff that I hadn't been doing in practice scenarios, like issuing crossing restrictions, correcting something, but not going back to the beginning of my restrictions. I didn't do that once in practice. only when it was worth 10 points. oh well. I still passed them (75 and 78 )but I know I could have done better.

Back
Top Bottom