January 2020 NEST Panel

cmarie90

FAA
Facility
AVL Asheville Tower
I am (im)patiently waiting for updates. Just figured I'd create a thread for anyone in the January panel to communicate updates. Please let me know if you have info on what is going on or update when you receive information. Thanks in advance!

I am (im)patiently waiting for updates. Just figured I'd create a thread for anyone in the January panel to communicate updates. Please let me know if you have info on what is going on or update when you receive information. Thanks in advance!
How far into training did you get?

Through ground and all my local hours. Why?
Best of luck to you man, it sounds like a questionable case. Managers like to suspend hours at 90-95% or so because it shows “that is was obvious the employee can’t do the job so there was no reason to continue”. That’s a dirty trick that can influence inexperienced people on a TRB panel, but for the purposes of NEST it don’t make if difference if you finished local hours or had training terminated before that.

I hit 100% of local hours, the TRB came and gave me a calendar day extension. I finish that, but my sup was not comfortable signing me off. Had TRB #2 and they decided to terminate training with a 2-1 vote. My manager is recommending retention.

I hit 100% of local hours, the TRB came and gave me a calendar day extension. I finish that, but my sup was not comfortable signing me off. Had TRB #2 and they decided to terminate training with a 2-1 vote. My manager is recommending retention.
A single calendar day?!? What a joke of a recommendation by the TRB panel.

That sounds a little better then it did yesterday, best of luck to you, you should get the result soon. I just hope they don't offer you Alaska Flight Service. That's what some people on the panel do to "keep their conscious clear" as they did not recommend firing someone, but it ends the person's ATC career, and unless you are from Alaska, there are probably a thousand better options to start something new in the states.

If you are at a low level up down and never been certified I would expect FSS. Actually if you have never been certified on local and it's your first facility I would expect fss.

That sounds a little better then it did yesterday, best of luck to you, you should get the result soon. I just hope they don't offer you Alaska Flight Service. That's what some people on the panel do to "keep their conscious clear" as they did not recommend firing someone, but it ends the person's ATC career, and unless you are from Alaska, there are probably a thousand better options to start something new in the states.
That’s a tough one. Hard to turn down any federal job. But FSS in rural Alaska is a no go for me.

That’s a tough one. Hard to turn down any federal job. But FSS in rural Alaska is a no go for me.
The job economy is good, there are other federal jobs out there, this isn't the only good job that occasionally does "off the street" hiring for people with no direct experience, plus lots of opportunity in the private sector.

An extension of 30ish days seems to be a more common TRB result the last few months.
It makes sense with the new training mandate. And if they don’t meet the minimum training hours you have grounds for another helping of hours/days from the next TRB. I would be trying to train no stop if they have me 35 days instead of some hours.

Anyone hear anything yet? We've got nothing on my side. Also, I noticed the KSN website removed the Agenda and Minutes shared files from the NEST page this morning.

Anyone hear anything yet? We've got nothing on my side. Also, I noticed the KSN website removed the Agenda and Minutes shared files from the NEST page this morning.
It’s criminal that they removed those lists, it’s important to see where people are washing out from and what the panel is recommending for people who fail at different stages of training. Maybe it’s because the lists have been loaded lately with married couple scamming to a facility and washing out or withdrawing, screwing two people out of a position there not just one. The Agency and NATCA are probably embarrassed by that.

Back
Top Bottom