Late to the Party/Better Late Than Never?

I appreciate your blunt honesty, not enough of that these days, especially towards people in my position.

If you really believe that the studying is more harmful than beneficial, I can certainly put it off. My only real concern in that regard is that there seems to be a potential pass/fail bias towards people who are at least decent at ACID or phraseology out of the gate. Please correct me if I'm wrong, happy to be so, but I'm just trying to make the best of an opportunity.

I don't plan on putting anything on hold, but with 150 applications in to entry-level jobs with plenty of rejection letters, I have to put my best foot forward towards something, ANYTHING, that can put me to good use for a career. That's my mentality at least.

I was in your position so I know the feeling. I got my TOL 4 months before I aged out and I was 32 when I attended the academy. I had the benefit of vets preference but still had only one shot and thankfully it worked out.

Im not sure who told you that but it’s not correct as far as having pass/fail bias as far as i know. The academy is set up with the assumption you know nothin which most don’t. Youll have plenty of time to take advantage of studying if you make it to the academy.

Like others have said, go the military route with the air guard or whatever has the best shot of ATC. It buys you more time to be hired and if nothing else the military can be a great career. I did 11 years and would have been career had this job not worked out.

-1 year of training
-If you are the best in the class you are hired to work contract at one of the Towers they have contracts for which allows your to accumulate experience for your 52 weeks for an FAA
-Allows you to apply to contract tower companies which usually require 6-12 months experience

Total Time: 2 years at least, 1 year for training 1 year to gain the 52 weeks required for the FAA and a lot less than an Air Force 6 year contract.

I know everyone's situation is different, but if you can swing it, I would DEFINITELY try and go the ANG or USAF route. I believe age limit is now 39. Reason why is cause I would NOT bank on getting into the FAA seeing as you may not get a TOL by your 31st bday. Also with previous USAF experience you have more doors open to you like contract jobs as well as DoD. You will also be able to pretty much apply for any new hire position in the FAA including VRA.

Even if you went active duty and then got picked up by the FAA (while you were active), you can always usually take an IMA slot and still do the FAA.
This is full of incorrect information. Even with prior experience the maximum hiring age is only 35. And it has been changed and you only need to have not turned 31 before the bid closes. When you get your TOL or attend the Academy has nothing to do with the hiring age anymore.

Keep your expectations low when it comes to this applying for any bid. You don't have any control when the next public bid will become available.
It helps to develop the patience gene and explore any other opportunities that might present itself, because the FAA job may never materialize given your age.

To echo what some others have said, CTI doesn't mean much. CTI/OTS/Pilots all passed at about the same rate in my class. Hopefully a bid comes before your 30th and you can apply there, but it could be a long process to get certified. I took 3.5 years to get to the academy, likely 5 to step foot in my facility, and at least 7 to certify. You need to find something else to do in the meantime. Even if you think this is your last basket, don't put all of your chickens in it. Best of luck dude.

This is full of incorrect information. Even with prior experience the maximum hiring age is only 35. And it has been changed and you only need to have not turned 31 before the bid closes. When you get your TOL or attend the Academy has nothing to do with the hiring age anymore.

The ONLY thing that is CURRENTLY inaccurate is the TOL before your 31st bday. That is how it has been for quite sometime. Although it may have changed relatively recently, things were a bit different when I went through the hiring process. As for the age limit of 35 it would NOT apply to the OP as he does NOT have the required experience. Hence why I recommended the AF as an additional option.

Also, this is not set in stone and could theoretically be changed at any time. I would not join the military at a later age with the sole purpose of banking on being able to get in until age 35.
This^

That is correct, I would NOT bank on that as a SOLE option. However, if he did the AF route he would have more doors open to him in the long run. As of right now it sounds like he only has 1 door to get into ATC.

This^

That is correct, I would NOT bank on that as a SOLE option. However, if he did the AF route he would have more doors open to him in the long run. As of right now it sounds like he only has 1 door to get into ATC.
Honestly I'd never encourage anyone above the age of 25 who has thier life at least semi together to join the military. That's a huge step backwards for a lot of people, especially not for a gamble on atc.

Honestly I'd never encourage anyone above the age of 25 who has thier life at least semi together to join the military. That's a huge step backwards for a lot of people, especially not for a gamble on atc.
I respectfully disagree. I believe that it can be very beneficial to a lot of people. Especially this day and age where the economy and jobs will be a disaster for quite some time. However, in this instance the OP would be taking a much bigger gamble banking on attaining a TOL in time. Otherwise the military opens far more possibilities and opportunities in being able to get into the ATC field.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that it can be very beneficial to a lot of people. Especially this day and age where the economy and jobs will be a disaster for quite some time. However, in this instance the OP would be taking a much bigger gamble banking on attaining a TOL in time. Otherwise the military opens far more possibilities and opportunities in being able to get into the ATC field.
A lot of people have real established careers by this age. If you are working at Walmart then maybe

Yes, there's a time crunch because of age. So like... If you are younger. Like less than 25. Like I said.

Also, just in general I can't imagine trying to get into the military mindset at a point in life when your brain should no longer be malleable mush. It was an easy thing to do at 19, but no way I could ever see myself doing it in my mid or late 20s after being an independent adult for a while with a life and maybe some sort of career and actual life goals. Huge step backwards for most at that age.

A lot of people have real established careers by this age. If you are working at Walmart then maybe
I agree. However, I will say that considering I know quite a few recruiters and have personally been in; I have seen a surprisingly decent number of people over 30. And trends are it has been increasing lately due to C19. I suspect it will continue to increase.
Yes, there's a time crunch because of age. So like... If you are younger. Like less than 25. Like I said.

Also, just in general I can't imagine trying to get into the military mindset at a point in life when your brain should no longer be malleable mush. It was an easy thing to do at 19, but no way I could ever see myself doing it in my mid or late 20s after being an independent adult for a while with a life and maybe some sort of career and actual life goals. Huge step backwards for most at that age.
Yes which is why for the OP specifically is why I recommended the military route. If he was 25 or younger I would agree with you that he has time.

Well considering you have a country like the US who is divided ideologically and has been brainwashed for quite some time, I take it the military meat grinder won't have any issues in that department. :lol: In the end to each their own.

I applied recently and had received a TOL but due to covid hadn't heard anything about an FOL except that one was coming so I was asking my HR Rep about aging out before going to the academy, they told me "Your age gets locked in when you apply". So assuming there are more bids, apply to all of them until you either have a TOL, or are past your 31st birthday.

At this point, go the OTS route. I got picked up at 30 years old on my first try. I know military controllers that didn't cut it. I know CTI grads who washed out of the academy. Way too many variables to justify any other route besides Off The Street bid.

Back
Top Bottom