March 19 2018 prior experience bid

DankVectorz

Legendary Member
FAA
Facility
N90 New York Tracon
Per NATCA, 2 prior experience bids are coming out Mar 19-26. One for general FAA and one for N90.

[serious] What’s the advantage of having 2 separate bids? Couldn’t they just offer N90 on everyone’s list?

They have been offering N90 on lists with very, very few takers.

It's a headscratcher on the FAA's part. I'd imagine the same thing will happen that happened last year. The same people who apply for N90 will apply to the Prior Experience bid, with the vast majority electing to keep their prior experience TOL over their N90 TOL.

The only benefit I could see to having them at the same time is if they decide to jointly process the list, where each N90 applicant is given a TOL for the N90 bid and N90 bid only.

Only time will tell...

What were the results of the last prior experience N90 bid? Wasn’t there 100 applicants and 75% referred 50% got TOLs and then 10% actually went thru with it? (These are just guesstimations) Makes you wonder what they’re game plan is...

Anyone know if you can request a specific N90 area if you apply direct there? Doubt they'd accommodate that but for the right area I would consider it.

Anyone know if you can request a specific N90 area if you apply direct there? Doubt they'd accommodate that but for the right area I would consider it.

No, usually your area depends on when you get here and how soon the next area Class with an open slot is. And it can change. The first 24 hours I was here I was slated for Islip Sector. Next day they told me EWR.

Good to know, thank you.

Any tips or tricks for applying to this opening for a couple of Navy controllers getting out soon?

Good to know, thank you.

Any tips or tricks for applying to this opening for a couple of Navy controllers getting out soon?

How soon is soon? They've been turning down people who have more than 120 days left. Either way, expect a long wait between applying and starting.

What were the results of the last prior experience N90 bid? Wasn’t there 100 applicants and 75% referred 50% got TOLs and then 10% actually went thru with it? (These are just guesstimations) Makes you wonder what they’re game plan is...
It was a huge success.

207 applicants
95 selected
79 out of 95 turned it down
9 have FOL's
7 are still waiting

In all honesty, their timeline was simply poor. Everyone from the previous prior experience bid had not received TOL's yet and as you can see, a lot of people applied to N90 as a back up. Once they had two TOL's in hand, the vast majority went with their prior experience TOL.

Last edited:
My first offer was rescinded for N90, received it 9/5/17, time left on contract until 7/25/18. Received another TOL 1/5/18 for N90, called and talked to PAM, she didn’t help btw, talked to Charlene she said I was good. Received CIL 3/8/18, inside of my 120 window which includes terminal leave. I think once you get closer to your 6 month mark they start reissuing TOL’s.

Actually wait times are still very small compared to just a few years ago. Just 5 years ago people were going to the Academy who had had TOL's for 3+ years

Entrance on Duty Requirements (EOD): If you are unable to complete all pre-employment requirements within 15 months of receiving a tentative offer, the FAA may rescind your offer for this vacancy. If you are a current military member in active duty service, you must submit a copy of your DD Form-214, or written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.

An allsources bid does not have the 120 requirement, the previous experience bid does. It has nothing to do with claiming veterans preference.

Back
Top Bottom