Medical Medical Clearance

DoubleA82609

Hi everyone,
I'm new here after applying to the July bid.

I was selected to take the ATSA so I know I'm far away from this step, if I even get there, but I'm still curious.

I haven't found anything on here or any definitive information on the subject of controllers with type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed when I was a baby and have had it under good control for my whole life. I was hoping someone on here might know what the medical clearance process is like if you're a diabetic.

The FAA sites say you can't have history of it but on other pages they say each case is evaluated individually.

So I guess my real question is should I even bother trying for this position? Do they ever let anyone with diabetes through?

Thanks for any help,
Aaron

The document linked here is an exhaustive guide for aviation medical examiners. Just skimming it, page 273 suggests that airmen (read: also ATCS) with such conditions may be granted special consideration under certain circumstances.

Be ready to send them all of your paperwork, but other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Best of luck!

The document linked here is an exhaustive guide for aviation medical examiners. Just skimming it, page 273 suggests that airmen (read: also ATCS) with such conditions may be granted special consideration under certain circumstances.

Be ready to send them all of your paperwork, but other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Best of luck!
Awesome, I'll take a look at that. Thank you.

I'm still curious if there's anyone on here that's a diabetic and got through. Is there anything special that needs to be done after getting through the clearance process?

So I just got a chance to look at the AME guide. I am familiar with the part of it you're talking about. I've been going through those hoops to submit for a pilot medical. Will it be the same process for ATC? I would have imagined the medical stuff would be different.

Thanks again for any help,
Aaron

So I just got a chance to look at the AME guide. I am familiar with the part of it you're talking about. I've been going through those hoops to submit for a pilot medical. Will it be the same process for ATC? I would have imagined the medical stuff would be different.

Thanks again for any help,
Aaron
I’m a type 1 diabetic and I got through. Shoot me a dm with any questions you have.

Back
Top Bottom