Military to FAA HELP

Zulu_Mike

Hi everyone,

I’ve searched everywhere on here, Reddit, and other forums, and checked FAQ, and can’t seem to find any answers. Also hopefully this thread can help future Active duty members transition.

So I am Active Duty, ETS on Sep 04, 2023. I can start terminal on July 17, 2023. I saw there is rumor of a bid coming up in late June. Would it be wise to apply? I figured it would take close to a year to get hired anyway, and if it doesn’t work out I can apply PriorExp next year.

My thought process is I will at least have the medical portion complete, so the PriorExp process may be sped up a bit.

Also I was looking for confirmation on applying outside of 120 days. I know FAQ says 120 days for VET PREF. But if I don’t want to use VET PREF, am I free to apply still without penalty? Any help is appreciated thanks!

Hi everyone,

I’ve searched everywhere on here, Reddit, and other forums, and checked FAQ, and can’t seem to find any answers. Also hopefully this thread can help future Active duty members transition.

So I am Active Duty, ETS on Sep 04, 2023. I can start terminal on July 17, 2023. I saw there is rumor of a bid coming up in late June. Would it be wise to apply? I figured it would take close to a year to get hired anyway, and if it doesn’t work out I can apply PriorExp next year.

My thought process is I will at least have the medical portion complete, so the PriorExp process may be sped up a bit.

Also I was looking for confirmation on applying outside of 120 days. I know FAQ says 120 days for VET PREF. But if I don’t want to use VET PREF, am I free to apply still without penalty? Any help is appreciated thanks!
Can't hurt. At the worst you get denied, no downside except time invested in applying. And you'll get feedback on if your application is correct or not to be prepared for the next one.

Hi everyone,

Get all documents required now. I think you’ll need a letter from your unit stating your EAOS. If your last day is in September & you plan to take a month or two of terminal leave then you can discuss with HR your start date based off that.

You can also delay certain appointments (MMPI, medical, urine).

A friend got hired a year out from his EAOS/ETS. Let the FAA tell you no.

I basically did this in 2016. I applied to the OTS and prior experience bids regardless of the 120 day rule. I got hired on the OTS bid and ended up getting my seat at the academy 2 months after my military separation.

I basically did this in 2016. I applied to the OTS and prior experience bids regardless of the 120 day rule. I got hired on the OTS bid and ended up getting my seat at the academy 2 months after my military separation.
How was the academy? Did your time in the AF (assuming AF) help? Or was it challenging?

I applied in 2016 for a bid, ETS was 2017. TOL rescinded because I wasn’t 120 days from ETS. Unless rules have changed, don’t bother.

How was the academy? Did your time in the AF (assuming AF) help? Or was it challenging?
The academy was fun and worth it, especially if you lack any experience from the military. (I was radar only in the mil, but picked up for terminal). It is stressful at the end of tower course because the possibility of failure is there. However, there’s no guarantee you’ll check out wherever you end up, so that’s just the first step. Have an open mind and allow yourself to be trained even if it goes against what you think you know.

I’d recommend everyone with previous military experience go to the academy 1st. Since being in the FAA, I’ve only seen prior military experience people wash out.

The academy was fun and worth it, especially if you lack any experience from the military. (I was radar only in the mil, but picked up for terminal). It is stressful at the end of tower course because the possibility of failure is there. However, there’s no guarantee you’ll check out wherever you end up, so that’s just the first step. Have an open mind and allow yourself to be trained even if it goes against what you think you know.

I’d recommend everyone with previous military experience go to the academy 1st. Since being in the FAA, I’ve only seen prior military experience people wash out.
Thanks for the insight, I’d like to go to the academy, I’ve only heard good things from prior exp going. I’m tower only, but I’d like to go en route.

Hi everyone,

Apply for sure! However, vets preference is supposed to be for those at least 30% disabled. However, there is VRA which we all fall under. Look into that before you get hired based off of wrong info and risk getting subsequently fired. Good luck!

Apply for sure! However, vets preference is supposed to be for those at least 30% disabled. However, there is VRA which we all fall under. Look into that before you get hired based off of wrong info and risk getting subsequently fired. Good luck!
Is there a thread or something you can link or more info about being “subsequently fired” for vet preference?

Cant cause its
spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

vet info is in the faq

Just apply to all bids. Don’t let your EAOS determine when you apply. I got out in 2014 and a buddy that was getting out in 2016 was sitting on an FAA FOL for almost 2 years. It took me until July 2017 to get to my guest facility off a December 2015 prior experience bid.

This is incorrect. Vet preference has several levels based on why you’re claiming veterans preference. It ranges from being deployed to certain combat zones, having disabilities, or receiving a Purple Heart.

Negative. That's for 10 pt vet pref.

Back
Top Bottom