Natca ATX Conference

The legislative class is great, so is NiW. That's where you see the real point of the union
I’ve been to Legislative 1 & 2 and was pretty disappointed at how our dues are spent, both for the frivolous stuff and the lobbying. The instructors telling me that dues and PAC funds are only used for direct improvement to the union, then showing us pictures of a solidarity event in Wisconsin when Scott Walker was “union busting” state teacher unions that had fuck all to do with our job at the federal level, will stick with me forever.

I’ve been to Legislative 1 & 2 and was pretty disappointed at how our dues are spent, both for the frivolous stuff and the lobbying. The instructors telling me that dues and PAC funds are only used for direct improvement to the union, then showing us pictures of a solidarity event in Wisconsin when Scott Walker was “union busting” state teacher unions that had fuck all to do with our job at the federal level, will stick with me forever.
Wow I’d figure you’d be pro Scott Walker union busting

I'm a lot more fine with my union showing solidarity with other labor organizations than I am with them giving my money to politicians who don't have my best interests in mind under our current mass bribes as governance model.

If you think state labor issues don't have an effect on degradation of workers rights on a federal level I have bad news for you.

I'm a lot more fine with my union showing solidarity with other labor organizations than I am with them giving my money to politicians who don't have my best interests in mind under our current mass bribes as governance model.

“Solidarity,” especially with such a niche issue (state employees being asked to pay more toward their benefits packages) doesn’t have a chance to affect our federal job. Lobbying at the federal level does, even a minute chance with people less likely to support NATCA in the first place. It’s ridiculous that they’d waste money on a “solidarity” PR move like that. It was the first time I ever was disappointed with the union, before NCEPT started no less.

If you think state labor issues don't have an effect on degradation of workers rights on a federal level I have bad news for you.

I’m going to need you to explain the nexus between what happened in Wisconsin and our job, because I’m definitely not seeing it.

“Solidarity,” especially with such a niche issue (state employees being asked to pay more toward their benefits packages) doesn’t have a chance to affect our federal job. Lobbying at the federal level does, even a minute chance with people less likely to support NATCA in the first place. It’s ridiculous that they’d waste money on a “solidarity” PR move like that. It was the first time I ever was disappointed with the union, before NCEPT started no less.

I’m going to need you to explain the nexus between what happened in Wisconsin and our job, because I’m definitely not seeing it.
I have no dog in this fight but I could see something like this affecting us and Trumps EO’s etc. Unions sticking together somehow to avoid what happened in Wisconsin would help stop it from filtering up I would assume.

Anti-public union governor is early front runner for Republican nomination for president of United States and public union speaks out against him. Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

One of the other hardcore anti-union governors became VP and look at the EOs that came out of that administration. Cancer is less deadly if you catch it early

“Solidarity,” especially with such a niche issue (state employees being asked to pay more toward their benefits packages) doesn’t have a chance to affect our federal job.
If you look at it as a niche issue, sure. If you look at it as most truly pro labor people do (and should) it's about having solidarity with ALL workers. That's kind of a tenet of the style of politics labor unions come from.

Lobbying at the federal level does, even a minute chance with people less likely to support NATCA in the first place.
Lmao tell me how that worked out for us having to be included as an afterthought on the family medical leave act recently.. .. one of the few worthwhile and big deal pro labor pieces of fed legislation passed in the last decade and we were straight up left out initially. Our PAC dollars doing good work there. Then tell me how being critically understaffed the last two decades and working without pay thru shutdowns is the politicians in DC working for us. The whole "lobbying" system in the US is a travesty and a joke, if not outright grift.

It’s ridiculous that they’d waste money on a “solidarity” PR move like that.
Again, it's not a PR move its a tenet of the labor movement as a whole.

It was the first time I ever was disappointed with the union, before NCEPT started no less.
my big wakeup call on natca was the push for privatization honestly.
All politics are local. The anti labor state reps, senators and governors become reps, senators, policymakers and presidents at the fed level. The gradual chipping away at labor rights at the ground level since the 70s is why the state of labor is in such a piss poor place in this country as it is. Again, this all goes back to solidarity with all workers at all levels being critical to having a labor movement with any teeth outside the shop steward/local vs lower management level, which as it sits right now in natca seems to be where they are happy.

Seems like you just have a complete failure to understand the nature of the organization you are a part of, in terms of base beliefs. Yes, absolutely I want MY union to focus on MY labor issues , but that in no way means it's bad for them to stick to base principles when it comes to the labor movement in general, as more union members and more unions nationwide increases everyone's ability to bargain fairly if we all work together. It's just a macro view of union politics as usual.

If you look at it as a niche issue, sure. If you look at it as most truly pro labor people do (and should) it's about having solidarity with ALL workers. That's kind of a tenet of the style of politics labor unions come from.

Lmao tell me how that worked out for us having to be included as an afterthought on the family medical leave act recently.. .. one of the few worthwhile and big deal pro labor pieces of fed legislation passed in the last decade and we were straight up left out initially. Our PAC dollars doing good work there. Then tell me how being critically understaffed the last two decades and working without pay thru shutdowns is the politicians in DC working for us. The whole "lobbying" system in the US is a travesty and a joke, if not outright grift.

Again, it's not a PR move its a tenet of the labor movement as a whole.

my big wakeup call on natca was the push for privatization honestly.

All politics are local. The anti labor state reps, senators and governors become reps, senators, policymakers and presidents at the fed level. The gradual chipping away at labor rights at the ground level since the 70s is why the state of labor is in such a piss poor place in this country as it is. Again, this all goes back to solidarity with all workers at all levels being critical to having a labor movement with any teeth outside the shop steward/local vs lower management level, which as it sits right now in natca seems to be where they are happy.

Seems like you just have a complete failure to understand the nature of the organization you are a part of, in terms of base beliefs. Yes, absolutely I want MY union to focus on MY labor issues , but that in no way means it's bad for them to stick to base principles when it comes to the labor movement in general, as more union members and more unions nationwide increases everyone's ability to bargain fairly if we all work together. It's just a macro view of union politics as usual.
Wtf are you doing as a controller being this well spoken

I haven't been in NATCA long enough to really know a ton of the history/battles but for me personally it feels as though NATCA has been going downhill ever since they tried to support privatization.
And the conspiracy is whether or not they were the ones who suggested it as a means of reforming the system.

Shut downs are great; you tighten up your belt for a couple weeks, get a new profile pic, eat a shit ton of pizza, then you get all your leave back and a few big ass paychecks. Idk why we're in favor of stable funding ?‍♂️

Shut downs are great; you tighten up your belt for a couple weeks, get a new profile pic, eat a shit ton of pizza, then you get all your leave back and a few big ass paychecks. Idk why we're in favor of stable funding ?‍♂️
That two weeks of annual I scheduled during then set me up nicely for the rest of my career.

Back
Top Bottom