NEB Meeting Minutes

abc1234

Trusted Contributor
The NEB has once again quietly posted the NEB meeting minutes for the most recent meeting (Jan17-19) without an email alert to the membership. What are they hiding?

Here are some excerpts I found interesting:

IMG_0845.jpeg
So the NEB can have closed sessions as much as they want but the second someone else wants to, UNABLE.

IMG_0846.jpeg
NATCA cares about fatigue! Use the discount code "KWIKTRN" to get 1.6% off a new mattress to be well-rested after your double-mid OT!

IMG_0848.jpeg
More election drama. I wonder what the recommendations made by the NEC were.

IMG_0849.jpeg
President Santa, Senior Delegator. That's good news I guess.

IMG_0850.jpeg
Juicy finances. There's one more page here but I've hit my max attachments. Will reply with the final page. I haven't fully formed an opinion on the reallocations because I don't know what category Rinaldi Consulting is under. Wild though that they're taking $6,500 from locals and giving $20,000 to OKC meet and greets and an additional $73,000 to the NEB. Give the locals their money my dudes!

Last thing - the National Finance Committee historically meets 1-2 times per year and also posts minutes on the membership portal. They have NOT posted minutes since November of 2022. Are they being silenced by the mighty NEB? Are they covering up the funneling of hard-earned union dues to Lord Rinaldi? What is the finance committee discussing? We deserve to know!

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpeg
    IMG_0847.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 46
I’ve heard some insight on the NEST workgroup. Basically, some of people think trainees are getting to D2 or D3 at some shit hole facilities and then intentionally washing to NEST out so they want to crack down and make the lists way shorter.

I’ve heard some insight on the NEST workgroup. Basically, some of people think trainees are getting to D2 or D3 at some shit hole facilities and then intentionally washing to NEST out so they want to crack down and make the lists way shorter.
This has been an ongoing thing for a few years, it started with N90 and people washing out to get like 4/5 pages of facilities, then it evolved into clamping down on reinstatements and now this. Colour me surprised....

This has been an ongoing thing for a few years, it started with N90 and people washing out to get like 4/5 pages of facilities, then it evolved into clamping down on reinstatements and now this. Colour me surprised....
Of course, let’s do anything and everything except address the root of the problem: the completely fucked up placement process in OKC and the total lack of any ‘normal’ transfer opportunities. Anything to prevent people from being happy.

If you withdraw, you get a way smaller list. So people take the dirtbags route.

Oh no, some trainees found a loophole to potentially make their lives better. Can't have that!

Oh no, some trainees found a loophole to potentially make their lives better. Can't have that!
I get it, but it's a major major problem in some places because those people take up to 2 years to get to that point, clogging the training department and taking the place of someone who might actually want to be there. Lab space is limited and class dates are hard to come by.

I get it, but it's a major major problem in some places because those people take up to 2 years to get to that point, clogging the training department and taking the place of someone who might actually want to be there. Lab space is limited and class dates are hard to come by.

No one owes this career anything. Especially at this pay.

There’s two issues here. First, I think it’s fair to say the majority of people that end up going to the NEST don’t do so intentionally. Those people are going to get the short end of the stick because NATCA wants to crack down on the “scammers.” Stop and think about the fact for a second that we have a union that’s more concerned about closing the few loopholes to people being happy than actually advocating and fighting for real solutions to the underlying problems.

The second piece is, can you really even blame the minority of NESTers who may have gone that route intentionally? Things are so fucked in this career, I don’t blame anyone for taking steps to improve their quality of life. Put yourself in a new hire’s shoes for a moment. You fight to get through the academy for 3+ months. You then find out your last day where you’ll be going. For many people, they end up somewhere thousands of miles from home, in a city they may have never even visited. They arrive to the facility only to find out that after 3-5+ years of training, they better be prepared to work 6 day weeks and regular 10 hour days for the foreseeable future, regardless if they’re on the yes or the no list. They then also learn they’ll realistically never be able to leave within the next 15 years AFTER certification. The only positive for many people is the salary, but they learn the pay is not nearly as good as it used to be because we have a union that hasn’t advocated for our pay to keep pace with inflation and similar careers in the industry. Now imagine you’re in that position and you hear that if you get some certifications, then start having some A1’s, and end up in the NEST, you can end up with a list of facilities that will almost certainly get you closer to where you want to be and can increase your overall quality of life in the long term. Again, can you really blame people in the current climate?

Of course this is happening except it’s a a symptom of the insane hiring practices and not the trainees themselves. But of course they will look to band aid the system instead of fixing it. The Natca way.

Ah yes, having a say in where you want to work; considered the bare fucking minimum in other professions but “having your cake and eating it too” in ATC. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
It all stems from the old “this is the best job in the world” idea. Sure, if you were a controller 20 years ago, when the agency was well staffed, when you could transfer, when mandatory OT was the exception not the norm, and when making $100,000 was the equivalent of making $167,000 today, yeah it was a pretty fucking sweet gig. But today, this is just a job, and in many ways, it’s really not that great. The only real positive these days are you don’t need a degree to get in, and you’re forced to retire at 56. Who even knows if our generation will be able to stop working at 56 at this rate though.

Back
Top Bottom