Nest list looking for advice

I have a military buddy at CID, he loves it. Quick check out, up/down with a bit of everything to get your feet wet.

Phf has 1 trainee and 3 more on the way with only 9 cpcs and 5 trainers. Please don't! Any other time we'd love to have someone. We are full. I don't even know why we're on any lists.
If you are at a small tower with a fast checkout this is completely the wrong take. You should want as many trainees as possible. Opens up more lines on better RDOs. More leave opportunities, two people off for Xmas, what?? More NCEPT releases. Better break rotations. Most facilities who can’t release would kill for your “problems”.

If you are at a small tower with a fast checkout this is completely the wrong take. You should want as many trainees as possible. Opens up more lines on better RDOs. More leave opportunities, two people off for Xmas, what?? More NCEPT releases. Better break rotations. Most facilities who can’t release would kill for your “problems”.
Our Atm is shitting a brick just thinking about trying to hit the NTI with 4 trainees on one position at a time. It would be nice if they agency could send us a trainee every other month rather than 4 within 30 days. If we could get one in October that would be nice but we literally just had one two weeks ago and the next 3 are coming in the next 2 weeks. It is too much at once.

Our Atm is shitting a brick just thinking about trying to hit the NTI with 4 trainees on one position at a time. It would be nice if they agency could send us a trainee every other month rather than 4 within 30 days. If we could get one in October that would be nice but we literally just had one two weeks ago and the next 3 are coming in the next 2 weeks. It is too much at once.
Don’t you guys spread them out onto different crews?

Well... There is an impediment for that... So your ATM can use that and STFU 🤷‍♂️

You can stagger their training and use them for coverage for a burn in period if you can’t support training them all. still better than less people. As written above there is a comment you can use to cover this. You think centers hit the NTI with every single trainee?

We want less inbounds cuz my atm is worried about their bonus.
This might be a first.

We want less inbounds cuz my atm is worried about their bonus.
This might be a first.
Every year we're in this spot with 4 trainees at once. They either check out or resign. No, we're not 100% checkout rate, we've had 5 resignations in the past 2 years. It would just be lovely if they could stagger inbounds rather than giving them to us all at once. We have 2 positions. How are they supposed to train and get pro time all in the same position? Lol they get staggered on the schedule as much as possible but there is definite over lap. Trainers get to a point where the only pro time they are getting is from 6-8 am or 9-11 pm and then management gets squirrely when we ask to work say 3-5pm by ourselves rather than train so we can idk keep our skills up. Just tired of the stupid initiatives and lack of motivation from trainees and a year later we're back to being under staffed because people have resigned or taken sup bids to get out.

Every year we're in this spot with 4 trainees at once. They either check out or resign. No, we're not 100% checkout rate, we've had 5 resignations in the past 2 years. It would just be lovely if they could stagger inbounds rather than giving them to us all at once. We have 2 positions. How are they supposed to train and get pro time all in the same position? Lol they get staggered on the schedule as much as possible but there is definite over lap. Trainers get to a point where the only pro time they are getting is from 6-8 am or 9-11 pm and then management gets squirrely when we ask to work say 3-5pm by ourselves rather than train so we can idk keep our skills up. Just tired of the stupid initiatives and lack of motivation from trainees and a year later we're back to being under staffed because people have resigned or taken sup bids to get out.
Staggering inbound trainees does minimal other than keep your staffing worst for longer. Ive seen people start the same day and by the the time they CPC it's a 6 month to a year difference between the two of them in how long it took them to certify. Shit, I think I started nearly a year after a dude and certified a year ahead of him at the up/down I was at.

Staggering inbound trainees does minimal other than keep your staffing worst for longer. Ive seen people start the same day and by the the time they CPC it's a 6 month to a year difference between the two of them in how long it took them to certify. Shit, I think I started nearly a year after a dude and certified a year ahead of him at the up/down I was at.
Maybe at other facilities. Our check out time is 4-8 months depending on if they're off the street or have prior experience. Putting them all here at once guarantees the prior experience take 6-7 months because they can't get maximum training time because they are all on top of each other. Is it really asking too much for a facility with only 2 positions to get 1 trainee every month or 2 rather than 4 at once? Why can't we get one right when someone gets picked up (ie last spring when one got picked up for ncept and 1 got picked up for a sup bid) rather than 6 months later after people have left? Everyone talks about how bad the hiring process is but then I come here and spell out how it affects us and we're told to suck it up. I know we're not the only facility dealing with this garbage. Steady streams of trainees would be better than a bunch at once no matter the facility. Better for the trainee and better for everyone else. Out of 8 trainees in 2 years, we have 3 that have stayed in the agency. That doesn't help!

Maybe at other facilities. Our check out time is 4-8 months depending on if they're off the street or have prior experience. Putting them all here at once guarantees the prior experience take 6-7 months because they can't get maximum training time because they are all on top of each other. Is it really asking too much for a facility with only 2 positions to get 1 trainee every month or 2 rather than 4 at once? Why can't we get one right when someone gets picked up (ie last spring when one got picked up for ncept and 1 got picked up for a sup bid) rather than 6 months later after people have left? Everyone talks about how bad the hiring process is but then I come here and spell out how it affects us and we're told to suck it up. I know we're not the only facility dealing with this garbage. Steady streams of trainees would be better than a bunch at once no matter the facility. Better for the trainee and better for everyone else. Out of 8 trainees in 2 years, we have 3 that have stayed in the agency. That doesn't help!

You have a 4-8 month check out time and worried about a dude that takes 7 months. That's such a first world problem.

As for trainees not wanting to stay at a facility, that's because the FAA doesnt put people where they want to be. I also think the FAA should require you to stay at a facility for as long as it takes you to CPC but that's a whole different issue and plenty of people here that want to transfer the day they CPC dont believe they should put in any work.

If you have been to and like the Minneapolis/St Paul area STP is great. On the Mississippi with a great view and steady mix of corporate, GA and helicopter traffic to hone your skills on. Yeah its a Level 4. But we will do everything to check you out. Peeps have recently moved on to places like ZMP, MSP, JAX, ZME, RVS, M98, ect. The environment, people and management are great. And its been that way for many many years. We have 3 in training, a 4th coming soon. We wont bat an eye with another one.

That would be cool in an ideal world but since ncept panels occur and have 100+ selections at once, everyone's projected number goes down at the same time and they send you more when you're at the top of the list. When they send prior experience people, it can sometimes be a month or two before they actually start at the facility after they accept their offer even though it would be better to get them right now. Then another ncept panel might occur in between and move you to the top of the academy list and you get an AG and prior exp showing up at the same time.

You have a 4-8 month check out time and worried about a dude that takes 7 months. That's such a first world problem.

As for trainees not wanting to stay at a facility, that's because the FAA doesnt put people where they want to be. I also think the FAA should require you to stay at a facility for as long as it takes you to CPC but that's a whole different issue and plenty of people here that want to transfer the day they CPC dont believe they should put in any work.
This is another terrible take.

1. The guy who takes a month to certify in his tower only is loving this argument. It’ll more than a month til the next panel.

2. If it were a requirement for CPCs to “buy back” their time, quality controllers get the shit end of the stick because their trainee delays their certification to fuck with their “earliest departure date.” Now that controller no longer holds their own career in their hands.

Bad take all around.

What are you guys even talking about. If you have 4 trainees and they are on all different days off and some are there 7-3 and some are there 2-10 they will barely even overlap.

All of your gripes are unrelated to spacing out trainees. Center trainees sit around for months before they even start. This is the dumbest thread.

Back
Top Bottom