Other gov jobs

Boxer

I'm considering applying for another gov job with a different agency. Would the other agency reach out to the faa at all? During what point of the application process does that normally happen?

I'm considering applying for another gov job with a different agency. Would the other agency reach out to the faa at all? During what point of the application process does that normally happen?
I've done this the other way - DoD to FAA - and imagine it would work in a similar manner for other Agencies. When I accepted the offer from the FAA, they knew I was transferring from the DoD so they asked for my HR POCs. I emailed them their names and email addresses. The FAA then reached out and cc'd me on the emails. Basically, it was coordinating last day at old Agency and first day at new Agency for SF-50 purposes and to ensure I didn't have a break-in-service. The other thing coordinated was transfer of everything related to eOPF. All in all, a seamless process for me.

Considering anything remote? Some agencies are a little more open to the idea of offering these work arrangements. Sounds nice.

Considering anything remote? Some agencies are a little more open to the idea of offering these work arrangements. Sounds nice.
I may consider remote. What sucks is that atc doesn't really qualify us for any non-atc jobs. Just seeing what my options are right now. I'm at cpc-it at a level 11. I need to move back home. I don't have a hardship and I don't see myself finishing training anytime soon so I can ERR. If I apply for other jobs, I rather not have the atm find out right away.

I may consider remote. What sucks is that atc doesn't really qualify us for any non-atc jobs. Just seeing what my options are right now. I'm at cpc-it at a level 11. I need to move back home. I don't have a hardship and I don't see myself finishing training anytime soon so I can ERR. If I apply for other jobs, I rather not have the atm find out right away.
Keep in mind, remote jobs are extremely competitive.

You can get creative. While your statement about qualifications is true, definitely try to be as involved as you can to bolster your resume: workgroups, details, projects, volunteer work. Anything that you can list in the form of action-result will be instrumental and possibly a qualifier depending on what you apply to.

Here’s an example of qualification requirements from a random posting on USAjobs that you could make work given the right projects and ancillary duties as a controller:

• Experience advising managers on sensitive and controversial topics.
  • Experience effectively communicating with outside organizations.
  • Experience ensuring compliance with state or federal statutes, requirements, policies and procedures.

The broader and more generalized the requirements are written, the better off we are as controllers tailoring a resume to fit. I’ve seen it work myself. Be creative, take opportunities at your facility, and view everything as a possible resume item. Best of luck.

Damn, so many threads about people voluntarily leaving the FAA lately 😂
Someone at my facility legit was telling me he was thinking about quitting, not working for 6-12 months, then reapplying back to our facility just so he could have a break from working 6 days a week 😂

Not a bad idea tbh if you ask me tho. I saved hella money last year from all the OT but I'd rather have some time off.

Damn, so many threads about people voluntarily leaving the FAA lately 😂
To a LOT of people, the job isn’t worth the headaches it comes with when the pay is just “ok.” Being able to retire at 56 means nothing if you can’t afford to stop working by then. Trainees have been quitting left and right since COVID and now even CPCs are resigning.

Someone at my facility legit was telling me he was thinking about quitting, not working for 6-12 months, then reapplying back to our facility just so he could have a break from working 6 days a week 😂

Not a bad idea tbh if you ask me tho. I saved hella money last year from all the OT but I'd rather have some time off.
This is crazy. Shouldn’t be this way. Things are broken….

To a LOT of people, the job isn’t worth the headaches it comes with when the pay is just “ok.” Being able to retire at 56 means nothing if you can’t afford to stop working by then. Trainees have been quitting left and right since COVID and now even CPCs are resigning.
I agree wholeheartedly brother. Which is what spawned the Razewen mvmt…at least the union is finally talking about pay, a little….🤣😭😭

Most aren’t even thinking about staying to 56, maybe the ones who have a few divorces and alimony to pay.
Everyone where I work will be gone in the first month they become eligible at age 50 and we have a 4 all within 4 years so that should be fun we basically been running the place with 10-11 CPCs and OT for a few years can’t seem to catch up with people quitting and slow hiring.

This is crazy. Shouldn’t be this way. Things are broken….
Personally I don't hate the job and I legitimately don't want to leave. But ultimately my family comes first. I'm single with no ties to my current location. My family lives across the country. Things change and my mom could use some extra help. I don't qualify for a hardship. Im not going to let this job tie me down. They've made transfering ridiculously difficult.

It qualifies you for a lot of stuff if you don't care about money. The problem is that a lot of your take homes put your money in 5 star general, director of the FAA range.

Two quit last year and another this year at my facility. Level 12 tracon with mandatory OT.
does the FAA see that this is a problem? Lol

f
Personally I don't hate the job and I legitimately don't want to leave. But ultimately my family comes first. I'm single with no ties to my current location. My family lives across the country. Things change and my mom could use some extra help. I don't qualify for a hardship. Im not going to let this job tie me down. They've made transfering ridiculously difficult.
I don't blame you, brother. Family comes first in just about everyone's mind...except the FAA

Level 9 here in San Diego. I’m also a Navy reservist. If I pick up E7, I’m going on orders and being protected by USERRA. Make wayyy more money with housing and food allowance lol. Accrue seniority and raises as if I never left and all that time counts towards both retirements. Plus I get VA dis and GI Bill and work 8-2 M-F. My SCT friends flex with their salary and OT on paper and wonder why I can get leave whenever I want and fish all the time and live in Pacific Beach.

Note: spouse is active duty, free tricare and free housing. Love the people I work with, field hours (6am-9pm) and management is all prior military and actually takes care of people.

Sucks that E6 military pay shits on a 150k FAA salary. And that’s on top of being a Texas resident and paying no Cali state taxes due to MSRRA.

Since 2022, the FAA has lost more CPCs to separations than they have to management overall. That's wild. I'm sure they see it as a problem but like always, have analysis paralysis and don't have the first idea how to rectify it.
There are really 4 things would make the job much more appealing to the people who are quitting:

1 - A 15-20% overall raise.
2 - An improved hiring/placement system that would help people know where they’re going before the last week at the academy.
3 - Limited to no mandatory 6 day work weeks.
4 - A legitimate transfer or swap system that lets people move around more easily.

Of course a lot of those are tied to staffing which the agency has proven time and again they have no real plan to rectify. And a pay raise won’t happen when our union doesn’t even ask for anything.

Back
Top Bottom