Getting job with different agency?

Periculant

Trusted Contributor
If one were to leave the FAA for another job in the federal government what happens to your pay? If I am at a level 12 and CPC and transfer to another agency that has a fully remote job do I save pay? Would you save pay indefinitely if you went from CPC in the FAA to some supervisory job in another agency that was mostly if not completely remote?

If one were to leave the FAA for another job in the federal government what happens to your pay? If I am at a level 12 and CPC and transfer to another agency that has a fully remote job do I save pay? Would you save pay indefinitely if you went from CPC in the FAA to some supervisory job in another agency that was mostly if not completely remote?
Depends on a few factors:
1) Pay Scale, For example if the GS position you have applied to is a GS-12 (making up numbers here keep that in mind) with Step 10 going up to 140k and you are making 160k, you will cap out at 140k (also do not forget to factor in locality). Essentially you have to fit within the paygrade scale of a GS-12.

2) You will lose pay depending on if you remote in RUS (Rest of United States) locality vs Remoting an area that draws D.C. local. Also, remote vs in person otherwise is irrelevant in any other situation.

If I wanted to remote from my hidden bunker in South Dakota, I would be downgrade from SEA locality to RUS locality, ergo a chunk of change is lost.
SEA Locality is $126,585 at a GS-12 Step 10, and South Dakota GS-12 Step 10 is $113,047.

Play around with the map/pay chart, just remember you have to fit within the band of whatever GS paygrade you take.
(https://www.federalpay.org/gs/2024)

If your pay scale is NOT GS, you will have to lookup the applicable one with the agency or request it from their HR.

Honestly it is just like ERR'ing to a country club level 6/7. Keep in mind though you will not "save pay" unless (and someone correct me) you get an OCONUS position (fist bump to Germany).

Last edited:
I think you’d go to the top of the band. If we could just save pay to be a national park office worker I think more people would do that.

Your best resource is the gaining HR. Contact the number listed on the bid with your question. They’ll tell you definitively.

I think you’d go to the top of the band. If we could just save pay to be a national park office worker I think more people would do that.
Not only that, but he’d be the new guy coming in making more money than everyone else there. Always fun to train a new guy making more than you!

Not only that, but he’d be the new guy coming in making more money than everyone else there. Always fun to train a new guy making more than you!
That could still/already happen from several facilities if the transfer has more years in the agency than the guy who’s a 3 year CPC trainer at N90.

That could still/already happen from several facilities if the transfer has more years in the agency than the guy who’s a 3 year CPC trainer at N90.
True, but in his case he's a CPC at a level 12, which means he's likely higher than a GS15 step 10 already, and most jobs in other agencies are rarely higher than a GS-12. He's not only gonna be higher than whomever is training him, but probably higher than everyone else including the top bosses there. If we're allowed to keep pay to go to other non FAA federal jobs, it's going to open the proverbial can of worms.

True, but in his case he's a CPC at a level 12, which means he's likely higher than a GS15 step 10 already, and most jobs in other agencies are rarely higher than a GS-12. He's not only gonna be higher than whomever is training him, but probably higher than everyone else including the top bosses there. If we're allowed to keep pay to go to other non FAA federal jobs, it's going to open the proverbial can of worms.
Great opportunity for controllers to get a different government job and go fully remote like many other government workers are.

Back
Top Bottom