Other gov jobs

There are really 4 things would make the job much more appealing to the people who are quitting:

1 - A 15-20% overall raise.
2 - An improved hiring/placement system that would help people know where they’re going before the last week at the academy.
3 - Limited to no mandatory 6 day work weeks.
4 - A legitimate transfer or swap system that lets people move around more easily.

Of course a lot of those are tied to staffing which the agency has proven time and again they have no real plan to rectify. And a pay raise won’t happen when our union doesn’t even ask for anything.
When will someone care about how dire our situation is? lol

does the FAA see that this is a problem? Lol

f

I don't blame you, brother. Family comes first in just about everyone's mind...except the FAA
Because the Government doesn’t give a fuck about you, in any regard. It still blows my mind there’s a lot of people that think they do.

Someone at my facility legit was telling me he was thinking about quitting, not working for 6-12 months, then reapplying back to our facility just so he could have a break from working 6 days a week 😂

Not a bad idea tbh if you ask me tho. I saved hella money last year from all the OT but I'd rather have some time off.
There are jobs and unions that have negotiated for sabbatical leave. Too bad our union won't negotiate. If you could take 3-6 months off as a refresher every few years, 6 day weeks wouldn't be so ridiculous.

The truth of the matter is that air traffic controllers are actually paid better but treated worse than the vast majority of government employees. The lengthy qualification process is probably the primary reason. In almost every other job, an employee can transfer and almost immediately be productive. As you all know, that isn't the case in our profession and that affects the manning issues, the transfer issues, and the leave issues. The rules of federal employment are ok for the vast majority but not for controllers. Unfortunately, controllers have no (legal) avenue to address those issues. The union can affect things around the edges but really has no leverage in trying to deal with the really important matters. I don't see that ever changing.

When will someone care about how dire our situation is? lol
Let's see how much people start really caring about national infrastructure after what just happened in Baltimore...
Steve Austin Crickets GIF

People with the actual power to fix things won't start to really care until something on the scale of Tenerife happens. Or when there are frequent enough critical staffing triggers where it can be directly tied to a significant and repetitive impact on GDP: infrequent and rare ground stops are a nuisance to travelers, frequent and routine delays & cancellations & reroutes & holding are a detriment to shareholders.

Let's see how much people start really caring about national infrastructure after what just happened in Baltimore...

People with the actual power to fix things won't start to really care until something on the scale of Tenerife happens. Or when there are frequent enough critical staffing triggers where it can be directly tied to a significant and repetitive impact on GDP: infrequent and rare ground stops are a nuisance to travelers, frequent and routine delays & cancellations & reroutes & holding are a detriment to shareholders.
As someone completely unfamiliar with the construction of bridges, are they normally built to withstand a cargo ship ramming them?

As someone completely unfamiliar with the construction of bridges, are they normally built to withstand a cargo ship ramming them?
As someone who's knowledge about bridge construction includes an 8th grade physics project, a best friend with a masters degree in civil & structural engineering from the University of Michigan, and a recent stay at a Holiday-Inn, I can say with a complete lack of confidence that bridges built in the 1970's probably weren't even built to withstand disco. Regardless, that shit crumbled into the water faster than you could count 1-Mississippi, and it's nowhere near the friggin' Mississippi.

Anecdote about my friend: I remember visiting him once during grad school ~15 years ago and one of his textbooks was titled "Principles of Reinforced Concrete: Volume Two" and was roughly 800 pages. I about pooped my Pampers and muttered "you is smart."

Last edited:

Command center does everything in their power to avoid triggers. We didn’t have staffing to safely run the area recently, and I begged TMU for help and just got the response, sorry command center doesn’t want to do any flows, feel free to route around via controller to controller coordination

Command center does everything in their power to avoid triggers. We didn’t have staffing to safely run the area recently, and I begged TMU for help and just got the response, sorry command center doesn’t want to do any flows, feel free to route around via controller to controller coordination
Man, just imagine if someone could FOIA that recorded line conversation and get it into the hands of a journalist that has a penchant for throwing the FAA/ATC under the bus. It sure would be a shame if there was an easy finger to point at the command center...

As someone who's knowledge about bridge construction includes an 8th grade physics project, a best friend with a masters degree in civil & structural engineering from the University of Michigan, and a recent stay at a Holiday-Inn, I can say with a complete lack of confidence that bridges built in the 1970's probably weren't even built to withstand disco. Regardless, that shit crumbled into the water faster than you could count 1-Mississippi, and it's nowhere near the friggin' Mississippi.

Anecdote about my friend: I remember visiting him once during grad school ~15 years ago and one of his textbooks was titled "Principles of Reinforced Concrete: Volume Two" and was roughly 800 pages. I about pooped my Pampers and muttered "you is smart."
I read this through the Chick-Fil-A drive through, well done brother lol.

Yeah, the neighboring center really loves it when we call and ask for MIT because TMU won't stop launching planes

You ask the neighboring sector for 30 miles or more and that will definitely reach the command center. And that is how you force their hand.
To be clear, I wasn't disagreeing with the other poster. That's what you have to do sometimes. TMU says "You can handle it, no TMIs" so we've definitely taken it upon ourselves to shut off an adjacent feed. It's not a good look, but oh well, we just didn't have the bigger picture.

Back
Top Bottom