MSI Gaming Carbon MB
iCue H115i Cooler
64GB 3200MHZ
RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra
Corsair Obsidian 750d
Samsung 970 Evo 2TB M.2
Seagate Barracuda Pro 8TB 7200RPM
EVGA 1000W T2 PSU

I will end up getting the 8TB M.2 in a month or two when I save up for it. The 7200RPM attaches to a modular HDD enclosure with the case, and causes loud buzzing/vibration.

RAM running at 2333MHZ, hope that's not a motherboard limitation. May or may not try to adjust. Undecided whether I'll try to OC the CPU. Currently on stock settings.

Attachments

• 20210122_121034.jpg
    20210122_121034.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 11
Got it built the other night.
I9-10900K
MSI Gaming Carbon MB
iCue H115i Cooler
64GB 3200MHZ
RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra
Corsair Obsidian 750d
Samsung 970 Evo 2TB M.2
EVGA 1000W T2 PSU

I will end up getting the 8TB M.2 in a month or two when I save up for it. The 7200RPM attaches to a modular HDD enclosure with the case, and causes loud buzzing/vibration.

RAM running at 2333MHZ, hope that's not a motherboard limitation. May or may not try to adjust. Undecided whether I'll try to OC the CPU. Currently on stock settings.
I tried to OC my ram to 3200 Mhz but my computer would blue screen if it was left idle. Took the OC off and it idles fine now. Has something to do with the timings and voltages, and the fact some MBs don't like 3200, and prefer something like 2933Mhz or something. I'll have to play with it. Your RAM is running at 2333 since that's stock, changeable in BIOs

Got it built the other night.
I9-10900K
MSI Gaming Carbon MB
iCue H115i Cooler
64GB 3200MHZ
RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra
Corsair Obsidian 750d
Samsung 970 Evo 2TB M.2
EVGA 1000W T2 PSU

I tried to OC my ram to 3200 Mhz but my computer would blue screen if it was left idle. Took the OC off and it idles fine now. Has something to do with the timings and voltages, and the fact some MBs don't like 3200, and prefer something like 2933Mhz or something. I'll have to play with it. Your RAM is running at 2333 since that's stock, changeable in BIOs
Higher end Intel 10th Gen (800, 850, 900) are limited to 2933mhz max regardless of motherboard ability. Mid and low range 10th gen are limited to 2666mhz.

ATCJoe85 looking forward to your finished picture once you get some cable management accomplished!

Higher end Intel 10th Gen (800, 850, 900) are limited to 2933mhz max regardless of motherboard ability. Mid and low range 10th gen are limited to 2666mhz.

ATCJoe85 looking forward to your finished picture once you get some cable management accomplished!
Good to know. My dad wants my help building his and he's unsure about Intel or AMD, so I'll tell him this, and your answer to my next question to see if that helps. Thank you! What about a Ryzen 9 3900X? That's what my processor is

Good to know. My dad wants my help building his and he's unsure about Intel or AMD, so I'll tell him this, and your answer to my next question to see if that helps. Thank you! What about a Ryzen 9 3900X? That's what my processor is
MJ is right about qualified vendors, but at this point you'd really have to be finding trash no-name RAM for it to not work in a Ryzen system. You'll still want to check to be 100% sure, but if it's a major brand you should be fine.

Rule of thumb: Ryzen loves RAM. The faster, the better. The lower the CL, the better. The more channels, the better. Your 3900x will love whatever you can feed it. My 3700x has 4x8gb running at it's full 3400mhz CL16 and it is butter smooth. For gaming, my 5700xt gpu will be my bottleneck well before my RAM will even run at 80% utilization.

If you or your dad is looking to build a new gaming PC, I strongly recommend immediately paying attention to inventory and stock trackers for GPUs and striking at any restock opportunity you find. Cards that are 3 years old are selling used for 20% over their release MSRP because there is practically zero inventory out there at the moment. Don't fall for that price racket right now, just be willing to be patient and diligent for new inventory drops that are near MSRP.

but at this point you'd really have to be finding trash no-name RAM for it to not work in a Ryzen system. You'll still want to check to be 100% sure, but if it's a major brand you should be fine.
It was more about finding kits. They list module speeds and timings that are verified to work.

This is the kit I went with to pair with a new ryzen

Last edited:
All motherboards have a qualified vendor list for RAM that will show you which sticks are certified to run.
Good to know as well! I used to be a computer technician before I found out that it wasn't what I wanted to do with my life, and I didn't know this!
MJ is right about qualified vendors, but at this point you'd really have to be finding trash no-name RAM for it to not work in a Ryzen system. You'll still want to check to be 100% sure, but if it's a major brand you should be fine.

Rule of thumb: Ryzen loves RAM. The faster, the better. The lower the CL, the better. The more channels, the better. Your 3900x will love whatever you can feed it. My 3700x has 4x8gb running at it's full 3400mhz CL16 and it is butter smooth. For gaming, my 5700xt gpu will be my bottleneck well before my RAM will even run at 80% utilization.

If you or your dad is looking to build a new gaming PC, I strongly recommend immediately paying attention to inventory and stock trackers for GPUs and striking at any restock opportunity you find. Cards that are 3 years old are selling used for 20% over their release MSRP because there is practically zero inventory out there at the moment. Don't fall for that price racket right now, just be willing to be patient and diligent for new inventory drops that are near MSRP.
Makes sense. This was my build:

Dad thinks he wants to duplicate my build after seeing it put together and the performance and graphics over his current build, which is from Pre-2010 era lol But I'm a member of the stock drop group that allowed me to get my hands on a MSI Gaming X Trios 3070, so I was pretty happy. The cards performs great and is all I need and more. Will have to do the same for him, so I never left the group. I'm just glad I got my cart before the prices went up!
It was more about finding kits. They list module speeds and timings that are verified to work.

This is the kit I went with to pair with a new ryzen
Being completely honest, I've never had the chance to mess with RAM speeds and overclocking before I built my recent build. So I'm extremely new to timings and everything, so I've got some research to do. This was the RAM I bought for my Ryzen; I got it on sale during Black Friday, almost $80 cheaper then:

Took some time to clean out the old PC to get ready to sell.

Cooler Master HAF X Case
ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard
Intel i7-3930K 3.2GHZ 6-Core CPU
Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1866MHZ RAM (4x8GB)
Corsair 512GB SATA SSD
6TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler
EVGA GTX680 4GB Classified Graphics Card
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Semi-Modular 1000W PSU
Pioneer Blu-Ray Player/DVD Re-Writable Drive

Attachments

• 20210126_152010.jpg
    20210126_152010.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210126_200120.jpg
    20210126_200120.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 6

Cooler Master HAF X Case
Corsair 512GB SATA SSD
6TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD
The GTX 680 4gb is 7 years old yet selling for $250 used right now. GPU market is scary right now.

Cooler Master HAF X Case
Corsair 512GB SATA SSD
6TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD
Holy fuck 5400RPM

Any of y'all mining crypto with your GPUs? If so, what are you mining and how is it going? I haven't been putting my 5700 xt to much use gaming so I'm thinking about setting it up to mine Eth while I still can; looks like I might be able to pull around $160 a month with it if the numbers are correct.

Any of y'all mining crypto with your GPUs? If so, what are you mining and how is it going? I haven't been putting my 5700 xt to much use gaming so I'm thinking about setting it up to mine Eth while I still can; looks like I might be able to pull around $160 a month with it if the numbers are correct.
are you counting the increased electricity costs?

are you counting the increased electricity costs?
Yep. Ethereum and a couple others are very profitable right now.

Current prices are putting me anywhere from $180-$200 a month with my 5700xt running at about 54 mh/s. I'm still playing around with voltages and watt restrictions for my GPU, but leaving my pc running the miner with everything else off runs about 270 watts (including router and a lamp on a timer). That's about 6.5kwh a day which works out to about $20 a month for me in electricity.

If I can get my hands on another GPU, I've thought about building a cheap rig for Ravencoin as well.

I mean, you upgrade that build with a new mobo, a 10400 or 11400, and some better 2x8 RAM and you can be in business for quite a while with that PC. Mainly limited to eSport titles with the 680, but then there is an upgrade path when GPUs aren't stupid. God this shortage sucks.

still trying to get a 6800xt...
Some clown got me started on FF14 recently... anyone else play?

still trying to get a 6800xt...
Some clown got me started on FF14 recently... anyone else play?
You anywhere near a MicroCenter? There aren't any near me (2+ hours), but the ones closest to me all seem to have a fairly regular replenishing supply. If I were you, I would consider a day trip if you have one within a couple hours.

My wife loves FF14 but we both don't get to game nearly at all anymore; got a puppy a couple months ago and that's pretty much our lives outside of work right now.

Anyone running a plex server? I just got around to setting one up and am really impressed by the features. Like netflix but for torrents.
I just bought a Synology NAS that I will be partially using as a Plex Server. I have over 1000 Blu-Rays and DVDs I want to start backing up digitally so my 6.5tb worth of storage on my PC just won't cut it. How do you like Plex so far? Any tutorial videos or links you recommend for torrents and everything else?

Back
Top Bottom