Recent terminal pass rates

My class for terminal finished on May 12. 7 of us passed out of 11. We were 12 but one student went home because of her pregnancy. It does have a lot to do with nerves but there are so many other factors.

I can only speak for my class. We had a great class we were a team and being a team is a big deal if you want to pass. there are many problems with this academy and it isn't that the students don't want to memorize things it's that it is a lot to take in. There are also a lot of students who have been out of school so long that forget how to study. Our class would do table tops together and create conflicts for each other. Even throughout basics we would get together and study. We had 7 pass out of 12 and that for a tower class has been the highest within the recent class ranges.

If anyone actually feels Academy Airport has a lot to memorize and take in, they are going to be in for a real shock when they get to their field facility 7/12 still is bad for how easy that course really is. I still think they must have clamped down on something in the scoring because the first couple of years since the OTS bids began in '14 the pass rates were near 80%. Either that or many of these new folks continue to view OKC as a big party and don't realize the seriousness and opportunity in front of them.

Are there still the same Raytheon instructors that have been there for awhile. From my experience, they would far too often hold the hands of the weaker students throughout all of the practice problems and talk them through the problems. Then naturally, on PV day, when the student isn't going to get in any help they are far worse off than they should have been.

Oh I completely agree now that I'm at my facility the academy airport is so easy. I had no experience at all and I worked really hard to pass and fully understand everything that was going on. It does have a lot do with nerves but you have to really want it and put 100% effort because if you don't you're in for a real surprise. And yes it is still the same with the instructors putting effort on the weaker students they are really hard on the ones they see potential in. I had the same experience you did with the instructors. The pass rates are crazy it's ridiculous especially how much money is invested in each student to then fail at the academy. It sucks!

I can only speak for my class. We had a great class we were a team and being a team is a big deal if you want to pass. there are many problems with this academy and it isn't that the students don't want to memorize things it's that it is a lot to take in. There are also a lot of students who have been out of school so long that forget how to study. Our class would do table tops together and create conflicts for each other. Even throughout basics we would get together and study. We had 7 pass out of 12 and that for a tower class has been the highest within the recent class ranges.

The amount of knowlegde you need to learn, understand, and apply is a lot for someone with no aviation experience. This isn't a bad thing. I consider this part of the "screen" to weed out people who might not be very successful in the field, when the requirements on you are considerably more strenuous. I didn't study with other students while there for basics, tower, or RTF. I tried a few times but there wasn't enough learning for me, and a lot of getting sidetracked.

On the tabletops, did they allow you to stay after hours and utilize the one there? Or did you have your own? My class tried to use the official tabletop to practice ourselves and were shot down due to unfair advantage.

We also could not use the table tops at the academy we have a table top in one of the guys garages who lived at Kim's place. For basics I didn't study in groups too often because I like to learn book work on my own. But for the initial tower cab training we all got together to practice for it. For being someone without aviation experience I think the academy was difficult for me but if you dedicate yourself and know what you need to do there is no stopping you.

There's a lot of speculation, main thing people say seems to be nerves and not listening to your leads. I'm in one of the classes, so I'll post my feedback.

Hope class is going well for you. Any word on how the latest pass rates were in terminal this last week?

I believe one person quit before PA's so they only went into PA's with 15, so 9/15 through PA's. Better than the average for 2017. Wish us well we are headed in next week.
That one person that quit dropped the class from 17 to 16. 9 for 16 in the PAs.
Good luck! Control your crosswind turns and base turns. The "extend downwind 1 or 2 miles" leads to trouble...."extend downwind" then "turn base" will completely solve all the traffic situations on base to final....same for upwind/crosswind.

Good luck! Control your crosswind turns and base turns. The "extend downwind 1 or 2 miles" leads to trouble...."extend downwind" then "turn base" will completely solve all the traffic situations on base to final....same for upwind/crosswind.
New hires take note.

Not too sure about that, one of my classmates was roommates with 2 of em. I was aware they lost 1 to EOC in basics and one quit in basics, and one quit in the sims. But, whatever the case they passed 9.

Just don't get distracted and forget about them or you're screwed.

If the scenario gets that out of hand, it might work out in your favor if they fly out of the problem haha
At least there wouldn't be a chance of collisions or traffic alerts!
Haha good point, how many points off is it to let a guy fly out of the problem? Gotta play the system.

Back
Top Bottom