SAV/CHS/MYR

Yeti20

Just curious bout these facilities. They all appear to be somewhat similar as far as pass rates and so forth. Anyone have an insight on training and work environment at these facilities.

Jake,
I was going to send a message, but figured any info could be best shared on here. What is the current atmosphere like between union and management? Working conditions? Also, what is the living situation like? I did some initial looking and house prices seem very reasonable, but how far out do you have to be to avoid being in "the city" area. Or at least any bad parts of the city. Also, off topic, but what's with the MI hoodie in your pic? Being from MI myself I am obligated to ask about a possible fellow Michigander. Thanks for any info.

I'm originally from MI, but stuck in PIA right now. We are getting 804'd to T75 (St. Louis Tracon) if they ever get their crap together. I've thought about going back to MI, but am thinking someplace warmer, or at least not colder, is in my future. Good info about the CHS 804 though. I have been talking to the manager down there and she seems pretty straight forward. It's also one of my options.

I've been keeping the 804 thread updated as changes are officially announced so I've been waiting for the next set of recommendations to become official. The next set of recommendations are currently out for agency review and approval. Unofficially, the next set of recommendations will be:

- ZSU (CERAP) to ZMA (Center) and RSW (Terminal);
- FLO and MYR to CHS (new facility being built).

Has there been any update for these facilites being consolidated?
Apparently it’s still happening but all 804s are on hold until the N90 one is done. That was probably a strategy to pressure everyone into getting the N90 one done very quickly. Unfortunately that don’t look like it panned out.

The recommendation for consolidation has been forwarded from the FAA to DOT leadership for approval. If approved, the recommendations will be published in the Federal Register. How long this process takes to wind its way through DOT is unknown.

The recommendation for consolidation has been forwarded from the FAA to DOT leadership for approval. If approved, the recommendations will be published in the Federal Register. How long this process takes to wind its way through DOT is unknown.
What does consolidation mean here? Will there be just one central workplace?

What does consolidation mean here? Will there be just one central workplace?
?
I've been keeping the 804 thread updated as changes are officially announced so I've been waiting for the next set of recommendations to become official. The next set of recommendations are currently out for agency review and approval. Unofficially, the next set of recommendations will be:

- ZSU (CERAP) to ZMA (Center) and RSW (Terminal);
- FLO and MYR to CHS (new facility being built).

Does this mean there will be more people needed at the new facility? Or will the staff be restructured and placed elsewhere?
There hasn't been a lot of recent action as Part #4 has been delayed because of COVID. Then throw in the nonstandard 804 route taken to 804 EWR (Sector at N90)-to-PHL so the thread is kinda buried... but here's a starting point: FAA Facility Realignment and Consolidation

More people at CHS? Well, more TRACON sectors to staff so probably. Staff restructured at all three facilities? Yes; more at CHS, less at FLO and MYR... and that should include other positions, too. CHS would need 1-2 additional OS and ATSS. FLO and MYR would need fewer OS. And if CHS bumps to ATC-9, they could be due an OM position. Placed elsewhere? It depends. Hopefully, someone that has been at a facility that has completed (or almost completed) the 804 process can help here.

Generally, FLO and MYR will have their TRACON consolidated to CHS (3 x TRACON airspaces now combined into one consolidated airspace, like SCT, NCT, PCT, N90, AZO) but they will also still have Towers that need staffing. CHS will need more controllers and FLO and MYR will need less. I believe the FAA and NATCA have generally allowed those at the losing facility to choose to move (to CHS here) or stay (at FLO or MYR). But say a facility's current on-board number exceeds the number to stay and move (not likely), what happens to the excess? I know they can stay within the FAA and move to a new facility, I'm just not sure to where or under what process.

Back
Top Bottom