Security Clearance References Issue

Its just the term used. The "conditional" part is actually a waiver if preliminary checks have no red flags, allowing someone to start before the entire process is complete. You don't ever get an actual security clearance (S, TS). Risk and Sensitivity are the criteria for clearance/BI requirement. ATC is moderate/non-sensitive. The SF85P is whats used, and the BI is T2. NACI is a background check standard, not a clearance level. It's the lowest (T1). One step above is the moderate background investigation (T2). Once fully "cleared", the only thing on record is a positive T2 adjudication from the FAA. The agency is one who decides to give a positive/negative adjudication.

This site has a ton of info about security clearance stuff: Position Designation and the Type of Investigation Required - ClearanceJobs

I had to fill out the 125-page SF86, not SF85P. I was under the impression that all new hires as of 2017, at least, have to do the SF86 regardless of terminal/en route track.

I had to fill out the 125-page SF86, not SF85P. I was under the impression that all new hires as of 2017, at least, have to do the SF86 regardless of terminal/en route track.
I actually wrote SF86 then went back and changed it to 85P because I thought I was mistaken. But yeah you're right, it used to be 85P for terminal and 86 enroute, but now its all 86.

edit:
A little off topic, but while researching some info for this topic, I came across some other interesting things. Mainly
1. CONTINUOUS EVALUATION IS HERE AND IT’S WATCHING YOU
There are already 1.2 Million clearance holders enrolled in continuous evaluation (CE), with the plan of all clearance holders eventually being in the system. As the name suggests, the system is continually vetting cleared employees using data streams from credit bureaus and criminal records. The idea is that the system will incorporate more and more data streams as time goes on, including social media. Already in FY 2018, the system has reported over 41,000 alerts and caught significant, unreported security concerns on the part of employees. Now that cleared professionals will be under the microscope regularly, reporting any arrests, financial struggles, or other concerns to your FSO will be even more essential.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom