Medical Sleep Apnea

Anonguy77

Lurker
Hello, I have a unique situation hopefully someone will be able to help me out with. When I separated from the military, I did not have any disability so I had nothing to disclose to the FAA. Now that I am already in the FAA, my military disability has already gone through and it includes something that I think may be disqualifying, sleep apnea. I don’t have a machine or anything and I haven’t gone to a doctor since I got out of the military. And idea what the next steps would be such as disclosing this information to the FAA and even going about getting a machine? Thanks

Hello, I have a unique situation hopefully someone will be able to help me out with. When I separated from the military, I did not have any disability so I had nothing to disclose to the FAA. Now that I am already in the FAA, my military disability has already gone through and it includes something that I think may be disqualifying, sleep apnea. I don’t have a machine or anything and I haven’t gone to a doctor since I got out of the military. And idea what the next steps would be such as disclosing this information to the FAA and even going about getting a machine? Thanks
I believe once you are diagnosed with sleep apnea you have to report it and at that time you will lose your medical.

Schedule a sleep study and once it is proven that your sleep apnea can be controlled by the use of a cpap machine you'll get your medical back. I've heard it's about a 30 process.

Cpap isn’t the only way. Get a dentist or a sleep doctor to fit you with a mouth guard. You’ll take a study with and without it, to prove it’s mitigated and that’ll be the end of it other than a yearly statement that says you feel rested. Unlike a cpap where you have to report numbers.

You can report ahead of time and wait until all of this is done, or get all that done then report where chances are they will say thanks, not be DQed and be told about the yearly statement

Yes on paper you should report immediately. Be aware of that

not even remotely unique, very common, and not worth a new account :lol:. your story sounds weird... you didn't have a diagnosis, then you did, but you never went to a dr... anyway
  1. call your flight surgeon and tell them you have a diagnosis. You will lose medical.
  2. You need to have cpap/apap, and show a history of using it and it being effective. I don't remember the amount, 30-60-90 something like that
    1. or other effective therapy
  3. Send RFS your usage and get medical back.
You know you still have a medical condition weather or not you're getting VA pay for it, right?

More importantly, if you have sleep apnea, get it treated. Either a mouth guard, CPAP, something. Sleep apnea can cause long term heart problems if left untreated.

Back
Top Bottom