Medical Experience with Medical Retirement

Robert_Boucher

Forum Sage
So I was recently approved for FERS Disability retirement and I figured I would post my experience with the process for others that may go through this. The entire process can be done while you are on A45 time, but obviously there's no promise of that being available. From the time I was originally taken off the boards to retirement approval was over a year and a half, 8 months of those I was on A45 the rest was LWOP.

FERS Disability Info
Calculate your High 3
FAA 3930.3C
Reasonable accommodation process
FERS disability application

First things first let me say at any point in your career if something medical pops up see a doctor, even if you might temporarily be dq'd for it. If anything it helps build a case in your favor down the road should you need it. If you decided to hide a condition from the FS when you got hired or during your time that's on you to roll the dice. When you get your initial Incapacitation letter from the FS you will have to continue to check in with them every 30 days, you will continue this if there is a reasonable belief that you will be able to regain your medical in 12 months. My dumb self took this to mean that I had to be incapacitated for a year before I started the retirement application, what it means is if your DR verifies that your condition will last more than 12 months the FS can DQ'd you at any point. (I included the FAA Medical Order above) After I was permanently DQ'd my file went to some random person in DC for review and that took almost 2 months to get back to the FS for his signature, and fair warning I had to email, call and leave multiple messages to make sure my file was getting attention.

Once you are DQ'd your info will get sent over to HR and they will do a job search. If you want to medically retire do not accept any staff jobs, they can offer you a job but you must turn it down to continue with the FERS disability process. From my experience the way they see if there is an open spot is by reaching out to the ATM so there could or could not be a spot open it depends on the ATM. Technically HR searching for a job qualifies as the Reasonable Accommodation portion of the application, but I would still go through the process with your Sup to cover your bases. If you decide retirement is the route best for you, and you are on LWOP do not go back into the facility and get paid for it. Once you start LWOP the clock starts for you to get back pay, meaning if you are approved for retirement you will get a back pay check based on your last day of pay. For instance you are on LWOP for 4 months and management says I need you to come in for something and you get paid for it, you will lose out on 4 months of back pay since the clock will restart. Even if they ask you to come in and turn your badge in Id mail it in.

After the job search is done and nothing is found, you can apply for FERS disability. I'm not going to say much about the application itself other than you, your DR, supervisor and HR have to fill out a portion before it can be submitted and you also have to apply for social security. I personally went with a law firm that specializes in FERS disability retirement, so I filled out some stuff and they collected everything else. It cost 5K to use them but they represent you until the MSPB stage if you need it, if you are denied at MSPB you get your money back. This process can 100% be done on your own but I wanted peace of mind and someone smarter than me helping me along the way. My application was sent to HR in August and approved by OPM in December.

IF anyone has any questions about the process let me know.

page forums GIF

For real tho, I could see someone scamming into a staff job but getting retirement approval is harder than most think.

Thanks for the info.

"You will be restored to earning capacity if your income from wages and self-employment is at least 80 percent of the current rate of basic pay from the position you occupied immediately before retirement".

So you can get disability, and still earning money from another job, just as long you don't get to 80 percent, correct? I always thought they deducted what you earned off your disability income, no matter how much it was.

Thanks for the info.

"You will be restored to earning capacity if your income from wages and self-employment is at least 80 percent of the current rate of basic pay from the position you occupied immediately before retirement".

So you can get disability, and still earning money from another job, just as long you don't get to 80 percent, correct? I always thought they deducted what you earned off your disability income, no matter how much it was.
Think that’s only with another federal job?

Medical retirement is very difficult. The highest paid employee in my staff office was our secretary... who was a medically DQ'd controller that came from an ATC-12. 🤣

Thanks for the info.

They only thing they are deducting from mine are life and health insurance and federal taxes.
Think that’s only with another federal job?
It's any job that puts you over 80%, you could contract with the government, but you can't be directly employed with the gov while getting disability income from them. I believe anything over that 80% would have to be back paid as well. Also you can't do a job that is close to the job you left. I could be an RPO, but not work at a ramp tower.

Last edited:
So I was recently approved for FERS Disability retirement and I figured I would post my experience with the process for others that may go through this. The entire process can be done while you are on A45 time, but obviously there's no promise of that being available. From the time I was originally taken off the boards to retirement approval was over a year and a half, 8 months of those I was on A45 the rest was LWOP.
Thanks for posting this, Its pretty hard to find info about this kind of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom