The FAA staffing problem that NO ONE is talking about

I haven’t seen much about the lung since since this all started. Like in March there were a lot of stories about the lung damage. Now, not so much. Has this been confirmed or they just thought this at first?

also just require mask usage during training
Yes. Doctors in Hong Kong first observed that patients who had moderate to severe cases but had recovered would be absolutely winded walking down the hallway are up a flight of stairs. They gave chest x-rays and said that the scar tissue in the Lungs resembled Stained glass. Subsequent Testing of patients lung capacity revealed a significant decrease. Whether it’s permanent or whether it can be brought back to normal/ near normal with conditioning and therapy is currently unknown.

Here’s a link from Johns Hopkins. The TL;DR is that The worse your case, the more likely you have serious damage.

Yes. Doctors in Hong Kong first observed that patients who had moderate to severe cases but had recovered would be absolutely winded walking down the hallway are up a flight of stairs. They gave chest x-rays and said that the scar tissue in the Lungs resembled Stained glass. Subsequent Testing of patients lung capacity revealed a significant decrease. Whether it’s permanent or whether it can be brought back to normal/ near normal with conditioning and therapy is currently unknown.

Here’s a link from Johns Hopkins. The TL;DR is that The worse your case, the more likely you have serious damage.

Yah I’ve read the stories just doesn’t seem that major since it’s not talked about much anymore.

I can maybe understand the argument about "well maybe this isn't as bad as we first thought." But the comparisons to the flu are completely stupid. The flu kills between 10 and 60 thousand per year in the US and we don't do anything to mitigate it. COVID has killed 90,000 in a couple months and we have shut down large sections of society to slow it down. Can we just stop with this comparison?

To add to this, heart disease is the greatest killer in the US at 1774 deaths per day. Any time COVID kills more than 1800 people a day, it is the single greatest cause of death that day. That's 11 out of the past 30 days with another ten just around there. The average death rate for the flu (obviously more in the winter, less in the summer) is 153 a day. And as you say, that's with all the social distance and mitigation in place.

First of all, it's understandable for people to want to be anonymous on here. No one is trying to reveal who they are and where they work when debating these things. Just because someone posted from a new account doesn't mean they're trying to do what you're accusing.

Next, of course the people taking the "long view" on this are just making predictions (same as is the other side). They're not claiming to "know" exactly how bad it will be. And obviously neither side is presenting quantitative data about a future for which there is no precedent -- it's impossible.

As far as I can tell, the people taking the "short view" on traffic recovering have not made any convincing rebuttals to the OP or mrmr. Even in the news industry experts are predicting 2022-2023, and that's assuming a lot of things go well from here out. Adding another couple years to that if things don't go well isn't that big of a stretch.
The bit about the new account was a joke.
No, there aren’t any convincing theories made that contradict OP, and in my reply, I even admit to agreeing with the premises.
But when you make a post with a big scary title of a problem that everyone’s ignoring, I expect more than some Joe’s best reckon.

To add to this, heart disease is the greatest killer in the US at 1774 deaths per day. Any time COVID kills more than 1800 people a day, it is the single greatest cause of death that day. That's 11 out of the past 30 days with another ten just around there. The average death rate for the flu (obviously more in the winter, less in the summer) is 153 a day. And as you say, that's with all the social distance and mitigation in place.
Don’t forget about that guy in Austin who died from the Rona, think a SWA engine gave it to him....

Yah I’ve read the stories just doesn’t seem that major since it’s not talked about much anymore.
Well, possibly disabled alive people struggling with lung capacity tests aren’t as sexy as stories about dead people, protests about the lockdown, people out of work, economic slowdown...basically everything else is more sexy on the news. Until we get some official word from CAMI and the medical folks about future standards, I am overly cautious, and we are in a position where luckily we can afford to be. You know as well as I do that the FAA would love to tell your recovered coworkers to get fucked at their next medical. Just because they are allowing it now doesn’t mean they won’t change their mind later. As long as traffic is down, training isn’t a priority.

It doesn’t mean that we hold off on training until traffic comes back, it means we should hold off until we get it in writing they won’t take your medical for good if your idiot trainee who spent his/her last 2.5 months off licking doorknobs at the hospital gives you the Rona.

Well, possibly disabled alive people struggling with lung capacity tests aren’t as sexy as stories about dead people, protests about the lockdown, people out of work, economic slowdown...basically everything else is more sexy on the news. Until we get some official word from CAMI and the medical folks about future standards, I am overly cautious, and we are in a position where luckily we can afford to be. You know as well as I do that the FAA would love to tell your recovered coworkers to get fucked at their next medical. Just because they are allowing it now doesn’t mean they won’t change their mind later. As long as traffic is down, training isn’t a priority.

It doesn’t mean that we hold off on training until traffic comes back, it means we should hold off until we get it in writing they won’t take your medical for good if your idiot trainee who spent his/her last 2.5 months off licking doorknobs at the hospital gives you the Rona.

1- there are categories on better sites that would argue the sexiness of certain things you mentioned.

2- stop talking up my trainee

I can maybe understand the argument about "well maybe this isn't as bad as we first thought." But the comparisons to the flu are completely stupid. The flu kills between 10 and 60 thousand per year in the US and we don't do anything to mitigate it. COVID has killed 90,000 in a couple months and we have shut down large sections of society to slow it down. Can we just stop with this comparison?
Well there’s 2 vaccines for one of them so that probably helps, Cuomo.

Yeah it’s def the trainee that’s gonna spread it. Not the guy fighting to keep 5 on 10 off. I doubt they are isolated for 10 days. That’s why they want 10 days. To isolate ?

Absolutely tragic! Do you do classes in the summer normally or are you at ZNY
They just do classes whenever they feel like it. Just wait your turn they say. Those less senior people in the other area turn is first but don’t worry. Ok pandemic. JuSt Be HaPpY yOuR nOt FiReD

Yeah it’s def the trainee that’s gonna spread it. Not the guy fighting to keep 5 on 10 off. I doubt they are isolated for 10 days. That’s why they want 10 days. To isolate ?
It’s not possible to follow social distancing guidelines and train effectively at many facilities. Again, with no traffic, and no one really hurting for staff, there’s no need to train. Sorry trainees, but that’s just the reality of the situation for now.

Back
Top Bottom