Therapy an issue?

Hold Short

Lurker
Hi all!
I was wondering if seeing a therapist would be an issue that cound complicate getting hired? And if so, what sort of things would they be looking for?

Thank you

Hi all!
I was wondering if seeing a therapist would be an issue that cound complicate getting hired? And if so, what sort of things would they be looking for?

Thank you
I'm guessing it would be based on what you are going in for....

I don't recall a question about therapy directly in the hiring process but that was 12 years ago. Obviously the FAA is going to dig into your past. Probably criminal, driving, and work history... stuff that is easy accessible.

I kinda think it's funny that people spill the beans about their whole life to the faa about shit they would never find out about unless you told them.

I'm not saying to hide stuff but use a little discretion / common sense.

Honestly I think 80 percent (probably more) of controllers are crazy or have some kinda of past.

I'm guessing it would be based on what you are going in for....

I don't recall a question about therapy directly in the hiring process but that was 12 years ago. Obviously the FAA is going to dig into your past. Probably criminal, driving, and work history... stuff that is easy accessible.

I kinda think it's funny that people spill the beans about their whole life to the faa about shit they would never find out about unless you told them.

I'm not saying to hide stuff but use a little discretion / common sense.

Honestly I think 80 percent (probably more) of controllers are crazy or have some kinda of past.

Thank you so much for the insight. I'm just not sure what they will ask and also what could disqualify me from something. Thank you again!

Psychiatric
No established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

1. A psychosis;
  2. A neurosis; or
  3. Any personality or mental disorder that clearly demonstrates a potential hazard to safety in the air traffic control system. Determinations will be based on medical case history (including past, social, and occupational adjustment) supported by clinical psychologists and board-certified psychiatrists, including such psychological tests as may be required as part of medical evaluation.

Medications for anxiety, depression, etc. are disqualifying as well.

Medications for anxiety, depression, etc. are disqualifying as well.
Seriously? Now I’m nervous. I took depression medication In 2016-17for 3-4 months and I’ve been great since. I have all of my ATC experience after that point.

It's not as automatic as it used to be. Now it will depend on type of medication, reason, recency, etc... But it will be an issue for sure.

Back
Top Bottom